Sign in to follow this  
DiverGreg

Installing Lenco trim tabs

I will be installing Lenco trim tabs on my 2007 256 ssi tomorrow. I have seen the other threads here and feel confident about the installation of the tabs. My question is about the wiring I will not be using the Lenco switch, I purchased two rocker switches and the trim tab covers and want to install them where the current accessory switches are. Has anyone done an install like this with Lenco trim tabs? I sure could use any advice. Thank you.

I put Lenco 12x12 Edge mount tabs on my 186 SSi. Took out a gauge on the dash so I could put in the trim indicator switch assy, as I strongly feel you'll want to know what position your tabs are in at any given moment. Just my opinion.

Chaparral used the 2 momentary rocker switch kind of set-up on Bennett trim tab equipped boats such as the 280 SSi back in the early 2000's

I just had Lenco tabs installed on my 256 and love them. I would get the Lenco switch, It has the indicators that tell you the position your trim tabs are in also they automatically raise when the engine is shut off with this switch

Thanks for the replies after thinking about it and some research I am going to install the two rocker switches on the dash and not use the Lenco switches or control box. The only thing I will be missing is the auto retract when the boat is shut off. I will take pictures of the install and post them here.

That would work beautiful. The control could go on the slightly angled area right of the 12 volt plug, at least if you're right handed. Just my thoughts.

Good thought. I appreciate your opinion. Many are saying that 12x12 is over kill? Your saying it will be fine?

Once installed what should I look for to know if it is over kill?

Also I see that lenco says to set retract the tabs 3/4 of an inch. Others have suggested retracting a bit more so that they don't interfere when you don't need them. Your thought?

also I should tell you my reason to wanting them...I was in a 1ft chop this weekend and heading in to the wave and wind with 3 adults on board all sitting in back. I went from an idol to get on plane and I swear the boat raised up so high I though there was something wrapped around the prop. Turned with the wind and had no problem. Haven t wakeboared yet this year but I'm thinking this could be another challenge for getting on plane.

Little confused as to who Shepherd was responding to.

Which type of tabs you go with is up to you. I thought that 12 X 12 was a little big. If the tabs are too big then slight adjustments will make big changes in the boat. With the Lenco type tabs the change is more like steps when you push the switch, not so sure that you can make really fine adjustments. I will have to deffer to Shepherd on that.

The only reason I throw Smart Tabs in to the picture is they take care of many of the things that you are worried about on a smaller boat. They are also about 500 deer cheaper and do not require that you drill all the way through the hull. The install is easier with no wiring to to run and no switch to install. Many owners on here have installed them and really love them. You also do not have to mess with adjusting the trim up and down as you move up and down on plane. :Twocents:

Mike totally respect you point of view on the smart tabs. And I have vary little experience.

But with wide range of conditions in the Chesapeake bay I absolutely can see the benefit of control. While the cost is more I cant come to terms with is putting holes in my transom only to wish I had put a different set of holes in. Id rather put the extra money in now and not have regrets. Will upgrade the switch later though.

So many out there are saying go as big as your setup will allow.

As far as install I'm not scared of a trim job. However given the its perhaps over kill I am thinking of retracting the tabs just a weee bit more then manufactures suggest so when trim is all the way up it is have little to no affect on the ride.

Do you think that is valid?

Setting the tabs at the correct position allows them to just increase the planing surface of the boat. There is really not drag from a tab set in the correct position when full up. The tabs on my boat don't really extend very far from the transom,

Setting the tabs at the correct position allows them to just increase the planing surface of the boat. There is really not drag from a tab set in the correct position when full up. The tabs on my boat don't really extend very far from the transom,

Actually, they don't extend at all. Our tabs are molded into the hull, including the actuators. They might increase the hull length by an inch at best. :)

I am with Mike on this. Not sure adding trim tabs to a 19' boat is worthwhile, but it sounds like your set on that. If you're going to spend the deer, and the control is the most important aspect, make sure to get the kits with the indicator lights. Knowing where your tabs are make a huge difference. I just made this upgrade to may boat, and it has already made a huge difference.

I read that small boats notice the biggest difference. Do like those indicators but may upgrade that later.