Robred76

What is up with the crap stereo on the 2012 models

Guys,

I love my new 2012 Chaparral H20. It is truly a great hull, and the engine upgrade was a good choice. I have to know...WTF was the reason for picking the worlds WORST stereo? Did you pick a ex-natzi for a designer. I am sure that you are able to save a few bucks for putting this less than par stereo in the starter models, but I would have paid another 2K for a real stereo (stand alone head unit, and 4 speakers!!!!!!). This is just a not so funny HA HA moment. You guys really need to send every 2012 owner an apology and a solution for the lack luster P.O.S. that you sold. REALLY..the only down side of my new boat. Every thing else screams Chaparral and QUALITY!!

You realize this is a Chaparral OWNERS forum, not a vent to the manufacturer inbox, right? None of "us" installed your stereo, selected it, or owe you an apology.

Quite a few of us have upgraded or added to our stereos over time - many for far less than $2,000, but if you want to pay that - have at it.

+1 Randy... Sometimes the factory selection errors are hard to fix. (DXP Drives) Sometimes it's easy. Replace the Stereo and sell your old one back to your Chap dealer.

W

Just like when you are buying a car. If you choose the base model stereo, you probably will be getting a radio that puts out noise, requardless of how you want it to sound. At is for the people that just don't care what it sounds like, or for the people that are going to change it out for something that they want anyway.

It's just a stereo.You said that you would gladly pay 2K for a nicer one so replace it with a nicer one and move on, congrats on the new boat :clapsmiley:

Guys,

I love my new 2012 Chaparral H20. It is truly a great hull, and the engine upgrade was a good choice. I have to know...WTF was the reason for picking the worlds WORST stereo? Did you pick a ex-natzi for a designer. I am sure that you are able to save a few bucks for putting this less than par stereo in the starter models, but I would have paid another 2K for a real stereo (stand alone head unit, and 4 speakers!!!!!!). This is just a not so funny HA HA moment. You guys really need to send every 2012 owner an apology and a solution for the lack luster P.O.S. that you sold. REALLY..the only down side of my new boat. Every thing else screams Chaparral and QUALITY!!

I couldn't be happier with the upgraded stereo that I ordered on my new 2012 267SSX for a bit over 1,200. If you can replace the one on your boat with the same Clarion unit on mine you should be a happy camper.

A bit more work to change out the stereo on his boat. It has the new round 3 inch gauge size head unit. So he will have to find a location, and cut out the rectangular hole for a new, conventional size headunit.

brick

I agree...my stereo has already gone out after 12 hours. Concerned that Chaparral has not addressed the issue...my dealer is having trouble keeping up with replacements.

Thanks for all the replies. I finally had the sterio fail with only 12 hours on the boat. I have pushed this issue back to the Dealer, but I do not expect miracles. I can only hope that the other materials onboard hold up. Very dissapointing. Maybe I should have purchased a used SSI.

Cut the guy some slack... He's got a brand new boat which cost several large heards of deer, and something has already crapped the bed. Can't blame him for being a litttle bent up about the tunes. Easily fixed for a couple hundred... But a pain in th a$$ after dropping a truck load on the boat.

Correct me if I'm wrong... But while this board is frequented by owners... It's moderated and hosted by the manufacturer.

Anyway... Dump the factory junk and get a nice head unit and some JL 6.5's. Done deal. It's the first thing I swapped in mine as well.

Enjoy.

Sound systems in boats is still new to the industry. Think how long it took the auto makers to get it right.

Sound systems in boats is still new to the industry. Think how long it took the auto makers to get it right.

How true. I used to routinely replace upgrade speakers and head units in my 70's and 80's cars but by the time this century rolled around, OEM sound systems were as good as the custom ones I use to install. My first 3 boats including the 2006 Sea Ray 320 had marginal systems that I could not hear very well if at all on plane. My Chap, as I posted earlier, has a sound system that is head and shoulders above the other 3 and I enjoy listening to it.

Just a heads up to anyone experiencing an issue with the Milennia radio...I just received a phone call from Lewis, the account manager for the radio vendor, and he is drop shipping me a new radio that is a replacement to the one with "issues". He acknowledged the defects with the current unit and they have replaced the model with this new one. Furthermore, he stated that if I was happy with this unit he would extend a free upgrade when the new unit is released in January. (New release will have bluetooth) He wanted to get me a replacement immediately so we could enjoy our boat. He gave me his cell phone number for any concerns! Just an example of the customer service dedication by Chaparral and it's vendors! Really impressed with Lewis and the Chapparal team.

Just a heads up to anyone experiencing an issue with the Milennia radio...I just received a phone call from Lewis, the account manager for the radio vendor, and he is drop shipping me a new radio that is a replacement to the one with "issues". He acknowledged the defects with the current unit and they have replaced the model with this new one. Furthermore, he stated that if I was happy with this unit he would extend a free upgrade when the new unit is released in January. (New release will have bluetooth) He wanted to get me a replacement immediately so we could enjoy our boat. He gave me his cell phone number for any concerns! Just an example of the customer service dedication by Chaparral and it's vendors! Really impressed with Lewis and the Chapparal team.

Do I have to go through my dealer or can I just call Chaparral directly? I am really fed up with this radio. I am going to add 2 more speakers and a small amp once I get the head unit problems figured out. If I dont get the upgrade from Chap which 3 inch unit do you recommend?

To the OP--

I completely understand your frustration. We bought our boat BRAND NEW as well in '11. The gel coat started cracking and coming off the boat, off the boat, yes off the f****** boat. We were finally told it was "mold marks" from the manufacturing process. No we are sorry, kiss my axx, nothing but a we will "try to fix it" but we might not be able to so we might send it back to Georgia so the factory can fix it. We dropped the boat off a few months ago and have not heard a thing from the dealer. My SO is in corporate management and has been trying to save her employees jobs vs put more people on the unemployment line. I did not have time to check on our boat because my job sent me to a nice place in the desert to go get shot at, get flipped off by haji's etc. I did get a nice piece of mortar in my right thigh while I was dragging an ANSF interpreter who got hit who thought a bush was acceptable cover. But hey no biggie.

I come home and my SO presents me with a nice letter from the "Dealership of the Year" for winter storage fee's, in the full amount. They couldn't even bother to knock off a month or more which actually should have been the RIGHT thing to do. This on on top of doing an oil change on the boat at 20 hours and dripping oil on the sun deck and not admitting to it which I paid to get removed, the cover falling apart leaking water into the boat because it ripped at the vent hole no apology, the FACTORY stereo being a POS with connections coming loose all the time which I fixed it myself, the brand new trailer and its lighting frying bulbs and fuses all the time which I am going to fix this spring, etc etc.

To sum up I feel your pain and frustration. We are not rich people by any means and work for every #%^$&%$ penny we have. Feeling like, no wait being treated like gold until you drive away with your new boat and then feeling like from then on you are nothing but the dealerships ATM is not a great feeling. So much so we are considering selling the boat. #%^$&%$ shame too as we like using it but the experience with dealer makes us feel that if something major ever happened we would not be supported by the company or their dealer. We were even told that someone from Chap corporate would call us (LAST SUMMER) and #$^% they couldn't even get a five minute phone call to us done.

Dear "Our Little Boat"

First, thank you for your service. As a Nam Vet, I can appreciate that remark more than you know since that was not a very popular statement for vets of that era.

As for your boat. Gel Coat separation is not good and it means that the lay up in that area was poorly done, probably had an air pocket between the gel coat layer and the first application of resin. Could also have been caused by moisture, oil or some other substance that prevented proper adhesion. While bad news, it is very repairable. As for the radio, that issue has been discussed in other threads and the radio manufacturer has stepped up to resolve that issue. Your trailer problem lights problem is common when your lights underwater. Eventually you will replace them with LED lights that are sealed and that problem will go away. The easiest and cheapest way to deal with the trailer lights right now is to simply unplug the lights while on the ramp just before launch. They will dry out and not cause a problem.

The biggest complaint that i would have would be with your dealer. The gel coat issue should have been resolved right away. If the boat needed to go back to Chap, it should have already been there and back. If one of you light systems on the trailer is leaking and letting water in, they should be replaced. All of this should have been done by the dealer.

The dealer should have cleaned up the oil spill and taken care of the cover, unless it was the shipping cover that you are using. I would have expected some communication from the dealer about what will happen and when it will happen to get your issues resolved!

Experience tells me that some dealers pay a lot of attention to BIG boat buyers and less attention to the less expensive boat buyers. While that attitude is not acceptable to any customer, it does happen.

My advice is to you (for what that's worth) is to go back to the dealer manager/owner and politely tell him what problems you have, what needs to be done and when you expect it to done.

All the things that you mentioned should have been dealt with while the boat was under warranty!

Let's us know how it works out.

So I bought my 2012 H20 19 sport used with 10 hours on it. My radio has crapped out as well with the boat only having 20 hours on it. I'm curious did Chaparral fix the issue on the OP's boat or anyone else's?

Since I bought mine used I'm probably hosed right?

I have seen on one occasion for the 2012 Millenia stereo units in the H20 series where the volume buttons didn't work, if you unplug the harness from the back of all-in-one unit, and plug it in again, (with unit turned off) that the functions work again.

The Clarion sourced product in the SSi, Sunesta, Signature, and SSx lines has proven robust, at least for us. Have asked Chaparral to install Clarion units in the H20 and Robalo Reel Deal priced models, but I believe these models are price sensitive on the cost side.

To answer your question on the used boat, I would just install a Clarion head unit, and be done with the problem. Just my opinion.