Greg@ultimate

trailer accident - broken out drive!

15 posts in this topic

Our 2011 226SSi with 82 hours, was rear ended in traffic on the highway. Insurance wants to repair the boat and I dont like that option! Anybody have any experience with a situation like this? Makes me ill.

My heart sank just at the title of the posting. Hopefully nobody was hurt. I have not great advice, but I hope all turns out well for you.

cec

Hate to see post like this, I hope you get if resolved to your satisfaction. If they insist on repairing the boat I'd push to be compensated for "diminished value".

Oh man........sorry to hear that. Hope no one was hurt.

If you want them to total it the trusty insurance company isn't going to give you the purchase price of your boat. They will probably just try and compensate you for what is it worth now and surely not what you paid for it. In this crazy world of insurance we live in....they always try to come out of top and leave the customer hanging. Just has been my experience.

Best of luck with this. Hope it gets resolved in your favor.

Post pics if you can.

Had a problem with an insurance company wanting to fix the boat after some major storm damage. Most times they will total it when it gets to around 70 to 80% of the value of the policy. In my case I got the service manager were the boat was to also talk to the insurance company. He let them know that the warranty on the hull would no longer be honored and the value of the boat was greatly decreased because of this. He also let them know that that estimate was low and increases would be expected once they started to repair the boat. I also voice my concerns about the value of the boat and the possiblity of unseen damage. After many phone calls and emails the insurance did total the boat for what I had it insured for. I take it that this is the insurance company of the person that hit your boat. They do have to pay you for lost value of the boat and in many cases this will push it over that 70 to 80 percent value.

So sorry to hear the terrible news. Hope no one was hurt. Which "insurance" are you talking about???......the boat hull insurer OR the person who hit the boat's insurer? If the latter, you are in a position of strength. The other parties insurer "owes" you for ALL of your damages whether your boat is insured or not. They would have to pay you the actual damage, loss of use, diminution in value, etc. Don't let them bully you. Now, IF you are dealing with your boat insurer, all I can offer is.......read your policy very carefully and negotiate as appropriate. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

First, hope everyone was ok. These things suck, especially right in the heart of the boating season.

This has to be at least a 50k boat. How hard did they hit you? Did it rip the drive off the transom?

Sadly, I can say I've been there...I had this happen when our 290 was ~3 months old:

http://forum.chaparr...showtopic=11788

In the end, the boat was repaired completely and suffers no issues to-date. Total bill for (his) insurance was approx 25K (all damaged items replaced with new). Total time boat was out-of-service was 3 weeks. Luckily, I had no transom/fiberglass damage.

Stay on top of the insurance company and it will get better...

Just went to see the boat. It was towed from PA to CT and is at a repair facility for inspection and estimate.

At the present my inurance company wants to fix the boat. Well see once the engine comes out and transome can be inspected thoroughly. Bow also got jammed into the winch and bow scuff plate pulled from bow or glass is just flexed in, Boat just got to the shop tonight and they were closed so im going to talk with them in the am.

Is the shop the Chap dealer? Check to make sure that the hull warranty is not void. If the warranty is void that is a hugh hit to the value of the boat.