How do you rank boat manufacturers ???

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, you guys have me concerned. I really liked my 08 256, but me and the admiral decided to upgrade and get a new boat. Our Chap dealer was a pain to work with, so we wound up ordering a new 280 Slx. I sure hope that I'm not disappointed with the Sea Ray.

The problem is   NOT    design. USUALLY  !!   It is the FRIGGING cost cutting of a company Production C P A.  His sole job is often...........CHEAPER. Screw the quality & reliability

Add in part time legals & illegals ?   Bingo  Punch lists of rejects.  The DEALERS ARE NOT supposed to do FACTORY REWORK. The long punch lists prove the crap factory work.

Does every boat come out with rejects ??  I do not know.  I do know a few dealer mechanics & body shops are loving the latest job security from all the new boat work loads. Some dealers are so busy, that the dealers have stopped firing people, for doing after hours old boat work.

2 hours ago, jksvet said:

Well, you guys have me concerned. I really liked my 08 256, but me and the admiral decided to upgrade and get a new boat. Our Chap dealer was a pain to work with, so we wound up ordering a new 280 Slx. I sure hope that I'm not disappointed with the Sea Ray.

The marina I keep my boat at just turned to a Sea Ray dealer last year, alot of new Sea Ray boats by me now and everyone I've talked to really loves them and are very happy.  Personally my next boat will most likely be a Sea Ray.  The quality of the new SLX line is top notch.

IMO in boats similar to Chap (production pleasure boats and cruisers):

Top tier: Formula, Cobalt, Chris Craft

Above average: Sea Ray, Chap, Monterey, Bryant

Average: Four Winns, Hurricane Deck boats

Below average: Glastron, Bayliner, Stingray, Carver

But all of these boats are much more similar than their price tags would lead one to believe.

1 hour ago, Futzin' said:

Bryant quality is top notch. Their boats may not be as plush as Cobalt et. al. but the quality and attention to detail is outstanding.

But they only make small bowriders, so they're kind of irrelevant to the pleasure boat market as a whole. I will say I've heard good things about their bowriders though. I saw one not to long ago and it was okay. Aesthetics were okay, ree gel was faded.

2 friends sell boats at marinas. They still find a lot of people still buy sharp COLOR combinations as a first choice. Then style lines.  The rest of a boat is of very little interest by comparison.

Wife had the hots for a green Mariah. But company was phasing it out. none available.   Boat show & the only Chap with sharp looking Black & white with full width seats.  Sold for her retirement boat. Luck allowed her to pick a good boat.

On 2/11/2017 at 9:29 AM, jksvet said:

I sure hope you did your homework and sea trialed before you made your decision.  That's what I did and I don't see myself making a statement about the Chap like the last line of your post regarding the SR.

Best of luck with the new boat.

16 hours ago, drewm3i said:

But they only make small bowriders, so they're kind of irrelevant to the pleasure boat market as a whole. I will say I've heard good things about their bowriders though. I saw one not to long ago and it was okay. Aesthetics were okay, ree gel was faded.

Bryant's are decent though I despise their outdated helm design.  Interesting because Minnesota is nearly an all small bowrider market as we have almost no big water yet you rarely ever see a Bryant with the understanding that they make very few boats per year but still almost never see one.  Other thing is people are suckers for name brands and Bryant doesn't fit into that category especially at resale time.  

Small Sea Ray Bowriders and Bayliners I tend to see a lot of even though Small Sea Ray bowriders throughout much (not all) of the 2000's are the bottom of the barrel but folks are too busy apparently to notice.  I suppose I do see a lot of Glastrons as well. Small Sea Rays are a different animal than larger Sea Rays and the small ones are the Bose of the boat world.  All branding and easily beat by cheaper options.  

I agree with you about small SRs.

Bryant is a small boat builder in TN so the further you get from there, naturally fewer spotted.  I don't care for some of their design cues either but I'm liking their new boats they've been introducing recently, particularly the Calandra.  Regardless of their size or looks, the quality is excellent. 

This is a great topic thru the years.

Only way I formed any accurate opinions about brands in my late teens thru about my 40s. Was by friends in BIG marinas & Service Managers who made comments.  Some actually rated top brands as repair boats.  I had asked if the company was going bad or only 1  or 2 hull size / shape.  Surprisingly. A return visit with a box full of assorted doughnuts & 4 take out cups of coffee brought out detailed good & bad make & models.  Some took me into the shop to see the ratios of brands being repaired due to non collisions.

Back then It was inboards & some Stern Drives.  But hull deformations & stress cracks were real with optional power plants.

Today I do not ever hear about hull failures starting after some use with  NEAR STANDARD engines.

I would still do the coffee, doughnuts & or pizza while talking to several Service Managers on a known slow day. If I was going to buy any boat. New or used. 

After about 10 managers You DO GET some .....excellent, bad & O Ks.   More than 1 manager had said. We sell........ But I would never buy that brand.

ORLANDO, FL (January 9, 2017) — Today Correct Craft, owner of several of the industry’s top boat brands, announced its newest acquisition, Bryant Boats.

Bryant Boats is a respected high quality boat brand built in Sweetwater, Tennessee. With an already high appeal regionally, Bryant is well positioned for further national and global growth.

Previous Bryant owner and respected industry veteran, John Dorton, will remain at Bryant as both President and a minority shareholder. Dorton has one of the best track records in the boating industry and is highly respected for both his work leading MasterCraft through many years of explosive growth and serving leadership roles on various boating industry boards.

Quality should not change much, but some of their models might. And remember, they claim "wood free"

nnnnnnnnnnn.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2012 at 0:14 PM, bbrown said:

I'll probably get flamed, but I do not feel Chaparral is a high-end manufacturer anymore. Too many quality control issues.

In the class of boats you are looking at I'd say

High-end: Bryant Cobalt Formula

Mid-range: Chaparral SeaRay FourWinns Regal Crownline

Average: Monterey Tahoe Bayliner Maxum Larson

I don't see how they were either.  My 265ssi was a nice boat,  But I would give it a average to probably high average rating.  Really a nice boat, but still had a lot of cheap parts etc.  Don't see how it was high end at all.

19 hours ago, Futzin' said:

I agree with you about small SRs.

Bryant is a small boat builder in TN so the further you get from there, naturally fewer spotted.  I don't care for some of their design cues either but I'm liking their new boats they've been introducing recently, particularly the Calandra.  Regardless of their size or looks, the quality is excellent. 

There are one and possibly two outlets here in MN for the Bryants.  I actually looked at them way back when I bought my previous Chap.  The dealer's complaint was that the company at least back then didn't support any advertising.  

To be honest, the fact that Chap's didn't use in-gel graphics (like Bryant) always baffled me.  I hate decals on something that you might keep for 20 plus years. There were a few holdover Bryants for sale late season last year locally that I paid attention to but the prices on them were pretty astronomical.  There's a nice used one on the market here now a few years old and can't believe it has a carbed v6.  

One of the upper tier boats that doesn't seem to get a ton of recognition is Formula.

They are obviously more limited than Chapps and certainly Sea Rays.  But imo Formula makes one of the most beautiful boats out there.

The lines are beautiful and they typically come with larger engine packages.

1 hour ago, Futzin' said:

Cobalt also does a good job of matching the right engine with the boat model.  Not just for price point like most manufacturers.

There's a newer 20 foot cobalt on the market near me....with a 5.7 which I agree is usually slimmed down to a 5.0 on most other brands that I see on that size or even two feet bigger or in the case of Sea Ray, 8 feet bigger and still get the 5.0.    

5 hours ago, EricGT said:

One of the upper tier boats that doesn't seem to get a ton of recognition is Formula.

They are obviously more limited than Chapps and certainly Sea Rays.  But imo Formula makes one of the most beautiful boats out there.

The lines are beautiful and they typically come with larger engine packages.

How are they more limited than Chap, they make speed boats, a sport coupe, cruisers, bowriders, cuddies, and a new crossover bowrider cuddy? They also make an outboard pleasure boat with a cuddy and/ or open bow.

1 minute ago, drewm3i said:

How are they more limited than Chap, they make speed boats, a sport coupe, cruisers, bowriders, cuddies, and a new crossover bowrider cuddy? They also make an outboard pleasure boat with a cuddy and/ or open bow.

When searching for a boat there did not seem to be as many Formula bowriders to choose from as Chaparral. 

1 hour ago, EricGT said:

When searching for a boat there did not seem to be as many Formula bowriders to choose from as Chaparral. 

Oh gotcha. Formula doesn't really make small bowriders so you have a good point. They did have a F-232 and F-252 BR in the 90s though. Very, very good boats!

The only boat i would trade my Chap for is a Formula 350CBR, or Formula 400SS.  I have a buddy that has a Cobalt R7 which is fairly comparable size wise to my 284...we have both been on each others boats and needless to say, he likes mine better.  Especially since I spent 30 Grand less than he did.