vtjim345

bravo 3 engine coupler grease fittings

5 posts in this topic

I pulled the boat out yesterday to clean her up - weather was kind of crappy today anyway so it worked out perfectly. She'll be waxed in the morning and back in the water by 11 for a perfect boating weather day.

I ran through the maintenance - engine oil, lower unit gear lube, and the engine coupler fittings ( 150 hours on boat now).

There are two fittings on the B3 - do they both need to be lubricated or is it just for convenience? I hit them both after playing with the starter to move them around a bit. I've ordered the service manuals, but, the short guide that they give you with the boat wasn't very clear.

All of the other maintenance i did i learned from other posts on this forum. Still need to get a wrench to pull the props. Maybe next month. It was actually rather relaxing working on the boat today, in the shade, no pressure, no responsibilities!

Thanks for all of the help!

Jim

The diagram in the Mercury manual points to both grease fittings. I greased both on mine.

What kind of grease did you use on the engine coupler? Spline grease is designed to handle the high shear loads vs. a conventional grease.

Hitting both zerks like you did is the way to go.

What kind of grease did you use on the engine coupler? Spline grease is designed to handle the high shear loads vs. a conventional grease.

Hitting both zerks like you did is the way to go.

Thanks. I used the quicksilver engine coupler grease from mercury dealer. Blue stuff.