Sign in to follow this  
charlie_dee

Why no schematics or other useful info from Chaparral?

I know I'm preaching to the choir but I wonder how the heck Chaparral builds boats without electrical or detailed system schematics /diagrams. Are their building crews so experienced or intuitive that they just know instinctively how to build the boats? Or do they have an apprenticeship program where the details of how to build the boats is handed down by demonstration or folk lore? I think that somewhere, somehow there must be an engineer or designer who draws up some detailed plans and specs on how to build the boats. I'll bet they could make a bundle if they offered their plans and specs to owners.

I don't think it would affect their service business that much because even with plans and specs a lot of people wouldn't bother and would take the boat in for service.

Are their building crews so experienced or intuitive that they just know instinctively how to build the boats? Or do they have an apprenticeship program where the details of how to build the boats is handed down by demonstration or folk lore?

You might be right there ... therefore no two boats are rigged the same way.

You can call them ... custom built, a moniker for lack of standards and consistency ... ;)

FWIW, there is some info, pictures, and crude diagrams/schematics provided in the documents available for download in the Parts Guides section elsewhere on this site.

Is this true?

I'm thinking about buying an 04 265SSI, I do most work

myself. I might think about another brand if you're telling me

I can't get useful technical info for diagnosing or repairs.

Thanks

If you find a brand that provides that level of documentation for less than a cool million, let me know. I've had them on the big stuff, but never on something less than 30' long.

Check this out from MJM Yachts. WOW

http://www.mjmyachts...rmanual_IPS.pdf

W

Now THAT is an owner's manual. But that would mean actually investing some time / money in supplying the owner with some usable info instead of sending it all to the bottom line. A dedicated person with all the documentation and a digital camera available could probably do that in a week or two, if he / she had thier marching orders to do it. Go figure....

i was able to locate a Volvo sterndrive manual that I printed out.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/sx_dps-lk.html#/12

maybe my winter project will be a comprehensive photo / manual for all the components on the boat :blink: might keep my mind off the long winter ahead, definately would help to have a layout although the last 3 pages of my manual does have wiring harness schematics & connections to the VSR but would like to see an overlay / routing diagram.