13utchy

DO YOU TIP?

DO YOU TIP?   113 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU TIP THE GAS ATTENDANT AT THE MARINA?

• YES
    • NO
    • SOMETIMES .... IT DEPENDS!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 posts in this topic

As a new boater; I'm learning proper boat etiquette! And after filling up for the first time on the water today, I was wondering if it is proper to tip the gas attendant that takes the rope for you at the dock. I didn't think of this until after the matter, but will surely be filling up on the water again (and spending .70 more per gallon!)

Yeah, it's customary to tip ... it's a bit like with parking attendant ... you want them to take a good care of your boat.

It is going to depend. At the marina were they also pump out the holding tank always tip. At the marina that only pumps the gas and many times I am the one doing the pumping, I don't tip. Tip is based on service.

I agree, tip based on service.

If I do all the docking, tieing off, and pumping while the attendant just runs my card, i don't tip since they are basically just a cashier.

Help me tie off, catch my boat from hitting the pier or another boat (dead stick), help me when they are busy and could be helping other boats, then oh yes, they are getting a tip. Most or college kids just trying make some extra money over the summer, might as well help them out a bit.

Pumping out, definitelly a tip.

Come on??!! Really Bud? Go to your local bookstore and buy boating for dummies. You should have started with an aluminum row boat and worked your way up before getting your current boat.

Take care and I hope I never run into anyone like you at the pumps!

Come on??!! Really Bud? Go to your local bookstore and buy boating for dummies. You should have started with an aluminum row boat and worked your way up before getting your current boat.

Interesting first post. But what are you talking about?

I'll assume you are talking about the dock hands helping to keep me from hitting another boat/pier, so I'll edit my post to include (dead stick) and explain.

Pulling away from the pier, after allowing the boat to idle for several minutes, the fuel pump died about 5 feet from the pier. The wind began pushing my boat laterally to starboard into the boat next to me. Like a good Captain and as instructed in the book, "Boating for Dummies", I had one of my boat hook/poles with a rubber tip next to me at the helm. I was able to use the boat pole to keep my boat from hitting the boat to my starboard, while the dock hands tied my lines off to the pier on the port side.

Who and what comments are you specifically referring to?

I'll assume you are talking about the dock hands helping to keep me from hitting another boat/pier, so I'll edit my post [....]

Wait, what just happened here? Hatchman, someone threw a deliberate insult at you. Rather than take the bait and feed the troll, you responded calmly & civilly, while providing a detailed explanation in answer to the implied question within the insult....

Don't you realize that you can get kicked of the internet for that sort of behavior?!?! :thmadslap-1:

:beer-7687-1: Nicely done....

Another board troll...wow. I actually have never run into one on this site. Funny.

Interesting poll....I have never thought about it before...However I have not bought fuel at a fuel dock in 15 years either. I would rather pull my boat out and go to a gas station than pay fuel dock prices.I wish it was only .7deer a gallon difference. but what I find is it is often more than twice the cost of pump gas. I know, not everyone can do that.

but because of this poll, if i need gas at a dock, I will pay close attention to what they do to determine if I do tip or not.

I would rather pull my boat out and go to a gas station than pay fuel dock prices.I wish it was only .7deer a gallon difference. but what I find is it is often more than twice the cost of pump gas.

Keep in mind also that in many places (I'm guessing California is NOT one of them), one can buy ethanol-free gas at a marine pump while it may be difficult or even impossible to find the same at a roadside gas station at any price.... That's the case in Missouri--and why I nearly universally fill from a dock pump....

Keep in mind also that in many places (I'm guessing California is NOT one of them), one can buy ethanol-free gas at a marine pump while it may be difficult or even impossible to find the same at a roadside gas station at any price.... That's the case in Missouri--and why I nearly universally fill from a dock pump....

great point...

it is not something we deal with in California...I assume then people don't want to run gas with ethanol in a boat? Im just not familiar with it.

Can't say I have. I always fill up at the gas station before I launch my boat. Maybe because I am a new boater, I just can't pay those very high prices at the marina :0

i try to get gas at a land station but sometimes use marina gas. i do pumpout almost once a week and always tip the dock hand. i do a lot of the work myself but the dock hand is available. they recognize my boat and when they see me coming, they always assist if necessary in docking. most of the time we don't need assistance but when we do do to abnormal conditions they are there. as others said, they are usually college kids and can use the money. i appreciate the kid being there to assist if necessary.

Most finger lakes marinas use 10% ethanol blend just like road stations and are anywhere from .70 to 1.00 more per gallon. I'll fill up on the way and if we are staying over, fill my 4, 5 gallon cans for backup...

Yes! For those of you using Fuel from the street stations that contain ethanol, you will wind up paying a lot more in the long run when it destroys your fuel tank, fuel lines, and otherfuel related parts in you boat! I can't believe anyone would risk the issues to save a dollar or less a gallon?? Ethanol free for me at all my marinas, and if I find one that isn't, I will go elsewhere to fuel up.

Tip - of course - the dock help are always helpful and really appreciate the few bucks I give them - no matter to me but they really appreciate it.

Yes! For those of you using Fuel from the street stations that contain ethanol, you will wind up paying a lot more in the long run when it destroys your fuel tank, fuel lines, and otherfuel related parts in you boat! I can't believe anyone would risk the issues to save a dollar or less a gallon?? Ethanol free for me at all my marinas, and if I find one that isn't, I will go elsewhere to fuel up.

Well what would you suggest for those of us whose marinas also have 10% blends?????

On a 20 gallon fill up . No

More than 75 yes. IF he is GOOD.

Never tip a cell phone or texter who makes me wait.

Until recently I have always trailered and never faced this issue. Wouldn't have thought much about it so I appreciate the post. What is missing, however, is how much to tip. Coupla deer or a percentage?

This is not an issue I have ever thought about since I trailer on a consistant basis. Not to mention that if you fuel up at a station that services big rigs (truck stop), go in and ask for 'non-road use fuel' and you will save yourself 50 cents a gallon or so.

:Twocents: