charlie_dee

overhead cabin lights 2000 Chaparall 300

Anybody know how to access the wiring for the overhead cabin lights in a 2000 Chaparral 300? The switch is good but the lights don't go on. Maybe a short somewhere in the upholstered overhead. Any ideas of how to get to the wiring?

Check for one burned out (black colored) bulb. If by chance they are wired in series like old christmas lights one bulb out would kill all 6. also there is a fuse block under your stearing wheel. I would check that first.

I have a Chaparral 215 with wall mounted lights with a swivel bases. One of the lights didn't work, it had no power coming to the socket. To remove the light fixture, I turned the base counter clockwise, releasing the fixture from it's base. One of the wires had pulled away from it's soldered connection. Hope this helps you troubleshoot.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.. I went to the local Chaparral dealer and was told that removing the upholstered ceiling really wasn't their specialty. What is it with Chaparral? Do they burn the wiring diagrams and construction specs after they build a boat?

Would you buy a car that didn't have some sort of shop manual to show how to troubleshoot, take apart components, and fix problems? Oh well, I hope to sell this and leave the headaches to the new unsuspecting owner

I can understand Chaparral dealer backing away. That is a major undertaking that would end up costing you big dollars. I have replaced headliner in a previous boat. It does not just come down then go back up. The odds of your problem being under the cabinliner is slim. You have a continuity issue from the switch to the light sockets. Check each one with a multimeter (continuity tester) and replace the bad socket. you say the switch is good meaning you have 12 volts in and 12 volts out or continuity. Pull each light socket down carefully and check the crimp conections that are tucked just a bit inside the headliner. often times yellow will be the ground wire and blue will be the power wire for 12 volt lighting.