Bravo III prop questions

To the 256 guys with a big block, what pitch props are you running? I'm only pulling about 4400 RPM WOT and topping out at 53-54 on GPS. I'm running a 28 pitch standard Bravo 3 set. The Merc "Prop Selector" tool suggest a 26 pitch in the "elite" series props with 3 blade/4 blade. Unfortunately, they run $1000 herds of deer which is a lot of coin to spend to "try" a new prop. Just curious what pitch other guys are running, top speed, WOT RPM, etc. In the Spring when the water was cold, low humidity, I got her up to 56. But I'd like to get 4800 RPM.

On my 264, same hull as the 256, with the 496 I had the standard 3/3 26P props and was topping out at about 54 MPH GPS at 4400 RPM as well.

I went through a bunch of testing of a 3/3 24P props, and a 4/3 22.5P props and ultimately went with the 22.5P 4/3 props. Speed is around 51-52 MPH GPS at 4800-4900 WOT RPM but the hole shot is pretty impressive now. All of this is in the summer heat here. I can get it to hit the rev limiter in winter with a lightly loaded boat but really I wanted a better hole shot and as long as I can do 50 MPH I am happy.

Chances are you would need to go to a 24P 4/3 elite prop setup to get up to 4800 WOT RPM.

Well mine came with a set of 28s it topped out at 4800 @ 54mph (2.00 outdrive ratio). I found a new set of 26s on ebay at half price for extras. Low and behold I hit something the next summer, while I was getting one of the props fixed I put the 26s on and what a difference. The hole-shot and slow speed maneuvering are better. Down side it will over rev the engine a little, so I had the props cupped a little more. I was told by the prop guru at "Airmarine" a set of XR 4x3 28p would be the way to go but at 12-1400 bucks thats not going to happen.

IMO find yourself a set of 26s I think you will not be disappointed.

i have both 28's and 26's, the 26's get it up on plan faster better for water sports, will hit rev limit and top speed is lower,[50-52], also use more fuel, the 28's are like a higher gear slower to get on plan little faster top end less fuel on cruise, put the 28's on for this summer as the kids will not be here for water sports, 28's are better for just me and wife and friends....just my thoughts....

Thanks guys!! Due to the high cost, just going to stick with my 28s and spend the deer on tower speakers and SeaDek. WIth my tabs, my acceleration and lack of bow rise is great. Just thought I'd get a couple more mph on top if I hit higher RPM. But it sounds like it wouldn't.

I believe Wingnut is referring to the Bravo 3 XR 4/3 props on a regular (non-hull pad equipped boat) such as on a 256 SSi/SSx or 260/265 SSi. At least that is what I've found. The 4/3 Elite series work well enough, but truly don't offer much more take off speed than the regular 3/3 Bravo 3 props that are timed properly.

Just tried a set of 26" Bravo 3 XR props on our stock 225 SSi (has a hull pad) with 350 Mag power with a 2.20 gear ratio, and she doesn't have the goods to turn them. I guess a set of 24" XR's will be the ticket. Just put the stock 26" 4/3 Elite props back on for now. The XR's though, one has to work REALLY hard to get them to blow out so they're so aggressive.