good4thesoul

Propeller upgrade

3 posts in this topic

I have a 2005 256 SSI 496 mag, recently had tuned up, 230 hrs, and was advised to look into a new prop, had 3X3 28 pitch Mercruiser duo prop. Ended up with Hill Marine 4X4 26 pitch, would highly recommend anyone who has a 3X3 to consider replacement, performance, economy, dramatically improved, to such an great extent that I am compelled to write these comments to fellow Chaparral Owners.

I have a 2005 256 SSI 496 mag, recently had tuned up, 230 hrs, and was advised to look into a new prop, had 3X3 28 pitch Mercruiser duo prop. Ended up with Hill Marine 4X4 26 pitch, would highly recommend anyone who has a 3X3 to consider replacement, performance, economy, dramatically improved, to such an great extent that I am compelled to write these comments to fellow Chaparral Owners.

I have a 2003 Signature 300 which had 3X3 which were in need of replacement - bought new Hill Marine Signatures - can't remember the pitch but looking forward to getting it into the water. I never ran the 3X3's (bought the boat as a fixer upper and the props were some of the items which were "fixed") - I'm interested to know how the acceleration performance, cruise RPM's and economy changed. On my current 24' with 5.7 single I put a 4 blade and picked up a lot getting on plane and cruise speed is significantly better. They claim you lose a little top end but pick up midrange (I think I gained 2-3 MPH at my normal cruise speed of around 3,000 RPM. I'm hoping for similar results here. Thanks for the note! Those are nice props!