Riverguy

Need advise on buying a 2300 SX

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a1990 2300 SX (270 HP Mercruiser) and was hoping to get some input on what to look for i.e. rot issues ect. The boat has seen only fresh water use and looks to be in excellent cosmetic condition. Condition issues aside, does 7,000 deer sound high, about right???? Thanks. Riverguy

RIverguy, I got stung this year with a 94 2500 SX. Things I have done, that you might want to check. 1. Ensure you get the leg (which outdrive?) removed and check all bellows, including the bearing. Check the drive fluid for smelling burnt 2. Inspect the exhaust manifolds and risers for leakage at the gaskets 3. If the oil is BRAND NEW be very carefull and take it for a lake test. You do not get enough volume from a garden gose if there is a leakage to notice. 4. Where is the boat from? Was it moored or kept on a trailer? Mine was originally from Florida and the Gimbal housing was corroded through, causing a leak. 5. Check the rear bulkhead for rot (use a hammer) and the floor for delamination. (see my postings) 6. What engine is it?Compression test numbers? Any idea how many hours? Trailer? Thank god my insurance company covered the NEW ENGINE as the manifold had a casting flaw (7.4ltr) I bought this for 15,000 deer with the NEW gimbal assembly,new manifolds,new floor, tune up, Monster Tower with speakers I am into this for 21,000 deer Graphix to come next week (will post pics) another 800 deer If you have some pics post them and I am sure others will chme in. Good Luck, and keep us posted Jim

Riverguy,

I have an '89 2100SX in good condition and I paid 5500 deer for it and I did 1000 deer worth of maintenance on it right away including all fluids, gimbal bearing and bellows and throttle cable and bellows. Mine is a great boat and I enjoy doing projects to improve it. Our sundeck pad was pretty rotten, but we replaced it and did some other upholstery repairs.

I get complements all the time and when I tell people the age of the boat they always say that it doesn't seem like a 23 year old boat. My wife and I maintain it well and spend the time and money necessary to sustain it, and it is a very good boat for our family and it is very reliable. I drive it long distances at Lake Powell without issues. Dependable, practical, affordable and attractive; what more could you ask for?

270 HP probably means a 5.7 which is very adequate for me, but a 2300 SX weighs 3920 lbs dry and my 2100SX only weighs 2800 dry. You will just need to decide if it has enough power to meet your needs.

I absolutely love the SX series open bows and I would love to have a little larger like the 2300 and the 2500 someday!

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. I'll atach a couple of pics of my boat below.

Wade

HooahMay2012001.jpg

HooahMay2012004.jpg

HooahMay2012008.jpg

It's a shame that xbcparamedic had such a cloudy buying experiance, but similar to his purchase, I bought my '92 2550 SX from Florida and towed her to NY two years ago. Sure, there were some things that needed fixin' on a '92 boat w/ 1200 hours on it, but that is to be expected. Overall, I am very pleased with my decision to make the purchase and enjoy the boat immensly. Hull / transom solid, 7.4 purrs like a kitten, origional Bravo 1 drive operates and looks almost new (zero dings on fin and origional S/S prop) and the boat had a new transom plate / gimbal installed the May before I bought her (Infamous steering pin problem) with a brand new MC assy and fairly new manifolds and risers..

You are looking at a '90 boat and there will, undoubtedly be, some stuff that you deem marginal and needes replace / repair, as I did, but determined the good far outweighed the bad. I did allow some "emotions" dictate the purchase, as I had been looking for this exact boat for a couple of years that fell within my expected budget for the purchase (read the Admiral's terms and conditions).

Just be sure to get a good survey done to be sure she is all she's cracked up to be and worthy of the purchase. I skipped the survey, as I have been doin' the boat thing for so many years and knew what to look for and got no big surprises. The 7K seems to be a tad high ( I paid between 9 and 10 for mine), especially in this market and time of year, BUT, if it is what you want and within the price you think fair, especially for an above average condition boat, then go for it, especially if a nice trailer is in the deal.

Also, alot depends upon your tollerance level of minor things that need to be addressed on a 22 year old boat. Maybe seller has a little wiggle room on the price and can give you some sort of break. My tollerance level is quite high, as it is my hobby and I enjoy working on her.

Clock on mine is over 1350 hours now and I couldn't be happier.

Riverguy,

I have an '89 2100SX in good condition and I paid 5500 deer for it and I did 1000 deer worth of maintenance on it right away including all fluids, gimbal bearing and bellows and throttle cable and bellows. Mine is a great boat and I enjoy doing projects to improve it. Our sundeck pad was pretty rotten, but we replaced it and did some other upholstery repairs.

I get complements all the time and when I tell people the age of the boat they always say that it doesn't seem like a 23 year old boat. My wife and I maintain it well and spend the time and money necessary to sustain it, and it is a very good boat for our family and it is very reliable. I drive it long distances at Lake Powell without issues. Dependable, practical, affordable and attractive; what more could you ask for?

270 HP probably means a 5.7 which is very adequate for me, but a 2300 SX weighs 3920 lbs dry and my 2100SX only weighs 2800 dry. You will just need to decide if it has enough power to meet your needs.

I absolutely love the SX series open bows and I would love to have a little larger like the 2300 and the 2500 someday!

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. I'll atach a couple of pics of my boat below.

Wade

HooahMay2012001.jpg

HooahMay2012004.jpg

HooahMay2012008.jpg

Wade, Gorgeous 2100 SX.

Here is my '92 2550 SX the day I bought her a couple of years ago. And she was a salt water boat. Like yours, has never seen bottom paint, which was one of my requirements (I hate bottom paint). Being the 2550 SX, she is the cuddy version big sister of yours, but same hull configuration.

Guess I was very fortunate on my purchase of the "95" several years ago here in Ontario Canada. Boat was well maintained mechanically (with records) and cosmetical with very low hours(135).

Only things we've done in 4 seasons other than normal maintenance, impeller every two seasons and batteries,

1. refurbished outdrive, paint and decal kit B3

2. changed cuddy seating cushions and rails. (nothing wrong with them,wife did not like the colour.

3. throttle linkage this year.

I was contacted some time ago by the original owner. He provided a history of the boat over the years which was very interesting, basically the boat was rarely used which explains the low hours.

Good luck on the search but be confident in the boat condition prior to purchase. We had actually given up on looking at boats. Just stumbled across "Knot Reality " one day.

Don't get me wrong I fully expected to put a heard of deer into it, but there were things I didn't expect (Gimbal housing). This is the type of boat I have been working towards for a long time. I now have a safe, reliable, solid boat that I will continue to improve for years to come. I love the standup cover with windows in a bowrider.

I love this boat and will post the new graphix when I get them done next week.

Enjoy whatever boat you have, even if there are naysayers...(yes there were a few on mine). These will also be the first people to want to go out with you, as they dont have or they aren't allowed to buy a boat themselves....(hen pecked). lmao

Don't get me wrong I fully expected to put a heard of deer into it, but there were things I didn't expect (Gimbal housing). This is the type of boat I have been working towards for a long time. I now have a safe, reliable, solid boat that I will continue to improve for years to come. I love the standup cover with windows in a bowrider.

I love this boat and will post the new graphix when I get them done next week.

Enjoy whatever boat you have, even if there are naysayers...(yes there were a few on mine). These will also be the first people to want to go out with you, as they dont have or they aren't allowed to buy a boat themselves....(hen pecked). lmao

Interesting choice of commentary there........................ Aside from that:

I have followed your series of posts on your rebuild and am impressed with what you have done, considering the hand you were dealt with concealed problems that reared thier ugly heads after your purchase. Wish that on no one. As I am, and sure others are, also impressed with your dedicaton to bring her back to her former glory and then a step beyond to the next level. But one must admit, taking on a project of that scale is not for the faint of heart and one must be quite talented with the tools to take that on.

I was quite fortunate in my purchase that I got her for what I considered a good price for what I got. But, I did wait over 2 years to find what I wanted, in the condition I wanted (little stuff, like no bottom paint) for what I wanted to pay. The over 1200 hours initially concerned me, but know that a well maintained 20 year old , 1200 hour boat can be a far better value than 3 year old 100 hour boat that has been totally negleted, which was the course I chose to take. There were no negetive connentations towards your purchase, just that you had some ugly surprises for you, but you handled them well, documenting the process for all to learn from.

Again, the whole purpose of the post was for anyone buying a pre-owned boat, especially a 20 year old one, needs to understand what thier wants and desires are for the boat, figure out what is within thier ability to support within thier means. Then find one that they absolutely fall in love with, try as hard as they can to ensure the due dilligance is done and then prepare for the "unknown" and deal with it as best they can after the purchase (because there will always be something on a 20 year old boat). If the overall costs of buying and fixing outpace the "budget" in a big way, then the enjoyment of of the finished product may be impacted by the diminished ability to support the boat in the day to day costs of ownership. But then again, some are fortunate enough to have an unlimited pool of funds to expend on the purchase, repair and day to day costs. More power to them, but I'll bet the majority don't fall within that elite catagory.

Have to to make a comment on your post statement at the end...

The comment of "Hen Pecked" is a comment that is probably made due to not knowing one single iotta of anyone elses decision making process and was pretty, shall we say, unwarranted and probably should have been left out. I thought these forums had more decorum and class than that, but i guess I was wrong.

To enlighten those that don't realize this, some households have priorities that are much higher than a boat (like a mortgage, desired home improvements or tuition, for example) and the decision making process involves all those concerned, within the household, which is not a necessarily bad thing.. Plus there may be additional needs (like a galley and full head) of one's partner, and should be seriously taken into consideration to ensure the maximum enjoyment for all concerned. Remember the old saying "If she aint happy, you aint happy" ? It's just not as simple as "they aren't allowed to buy a boat themselves....(hen pecked)" where as commitments, responsibilities and everyone's total experiance also enter into the total equation. I can't tell you how many tensions have arrisen in many of my friends households when the statement "Hey Honey, look what I bought" is made. We don't all have nice little "Stepford Wives". More power to those that do.

Have a great day and congratulations on doing a superb job breathing ne life into a gorgeous '94 2500 SX that needed some TLC.

Pops,

Thanks for the encouragement. A few times I found myself questioning my own choices on this boat, but have since put those thoughts to rest. The "hen pecked" comment was not directed at anyone in particular, nor was I looking to offend people. We all have priorities and I understand that (3 grown children), but there are people we all know that are truly "hen pecked".

I am sure you also have some friends that think boats "are way to expensive", yet are the first ones on board your 2550 when the offer arises.

I believe boating is a social event and the more the merrier.

Decided to wait until Monday for the graphix as it needs 2 days out of water after they are applied, and the weather here in Vancouver is WICKED. Not going to waste it in the shop....

Cheers, and happy boating.