huhner

2000 230 SSi

11 posts in this topic

I am considering purchasing a 2000 230 SSi, with 270 hours, 5.7 merc and steel propeller with a dual axel trailer. Fresh water, in Minnesota. I have a Honda Pilot 2012 with a towing package on it. A couple of questions:

1. Can I tow this boat with that truck? I have others personally tell me that they can tow a larger boat with this truck/SUV

2. What is a fair price for this boat? They are asking 19k for the boat and 2k for the trailer

This is my first boat. Is this boat too large for a starter boat? Main usage on the St. Croix River in Wisconsin. Here are some pictures of it. Seems like a good boat, has a a pretty clean inside, a cover and overall in real nice shape.

post-15096-0-82810500-1349406127_thumb.j

post-15096-0-01320500-1349406167_thumb.j

post-15096-0-66363900-1349406185_thumb.j

Huhner,

Welcome to the forum. According to the specs for that boat, your dry weight is about 4200 lbs. Add 70 gallons of fuel, toys, coolers etc. and you will be just shy of 5000. Then add the trailer which is probably around 1500 lbs., and your total weight is at least 6200 lbs.

I used to have a pilot (2005) and I towed with it for a short period of time before the transmission started to go. I was only towing 4500 lbs.

In my opinion, that is too much weight for that vehicle but I am sure others will chime in.

As to your value question, the price you were quoted looks to be a little above average for that year and model. Look at NADA Boats to get an idea for both the boat and the trailer.

Good luck on your purchase. Great boat!

Al

Looks like a very nice boat. It's not a small boat but unless you're navigating in tight spaces, it should be OK. Price wise, it seems in the ballpark. Couldn't hurt to offer them 17.5k for just the boat or 19k for the boat and trailer? But condition is everything in a 12 year old boat.

The 230 on a trailer will weigh over 6000 lbs. Way too much for your Honda. As for the price, a little steep, but it depends on condition.

brick

The 230 on a trailer will weigh over 6000 lbs. Way too much for your Honda. As for the price, a little steep, but it depends on condition.

brick

+1 Price depends on what someone is willing to pay. It does look very nice :boating:

The 230 SSi was a really nice running and handling boat. Too much weight for your Honda though.

how much are you towing (every weekend in the summer even just the 2mi tow?). If so I recommend you visit the Honda dealer and buy ATF by the case. I would be changing ATF with every oil change pulling that much weight. FYI its really easy to change ATF on Hondas (I have an Accord - no I dont tow my boat with it) but I change the ATF every 30k or so just because its so easy.

I hate to say it but I would venture that a couple of years of those 80mi trips will KILL your Pilot AT with that load... sorry.

looks like great boat! Congrats