Seamus

Blowers - very loud!

25 posts in this topic

Gang - please chime in with your input.

I follow all the rules regarding running the blowers (before engine start, after shut-down, while in no-wake speed), but to be honest, at the helm it seems very loud and a pain in the a$$. I am wondering if there is a way to "silence" the blowers - or if loud, does it suggest replacement is needed?

Engine compartment has the sound barrier mounted to the underside of the hatch, but still is very annoying.

Thanks!

I have replaced two heavy-duty, 12A each, noisy black Jabsco blowers with a new type like this from Attwood (4" Model 1749-1): http://www.attwoodma...e/turbo-4000-ii

Much quieter and easier on the batteries ... only 3A each ... nearly the same capacity in CFM. I believe this type is being used on newer boats. Save the old deutsch connectors as you will need to use them with new blowers.

On my old SR the blower started to get louder as it was on it's way out. I had a bit of a different setup though. The boat had the intake on the side of the boat. If you left the blower on it would force air into the blower stripping it out or ruining the motor.

Agreeing with Richard W. On my Chap the blower is very quit and being that Ionce left it on for two days I'd say it doesn't draw my power.

The blower on our boat is loud. The admiral doesn't like the noise, I kind of like it as to know it's on. However, when idling around in No Wake zones, the drone does get a little tiresome.

WHAT DID YOU SAY!

I will have to look into a couple of the Attwoods. Several on here have placed rubber washers or rubber pad under mounting braket.

I never run the blowers in a no wake zone or after engine shutdown. Didn't know it was recommended. What is the logic behind this anyway?

I operate the blower when re-fueling and before start-up, unless I have the engine compartment open then i don't bother. Am I asking for trouble?

I never run the blowers in a no wake zone or after engine shutdown. Didn't know it was recommended. What is the logic behind this anyway? I operate the blower when re-fueling and before start-up, unless I have the engine compartment open then i don't bother. Am I asking for trouble?

The thought is that at no wake speeds there may not be enough air flow through the engine compartment. After shut down it is to remove any vapors that may be in the compartment. I have found that it helps to blow the CO out of there.

It isn't really recommended that blower be running while fueling. The blowers could pull in fumes and cause a problem. It is better to run them after fueling is complete and before starting. It is a good idea to open engine compartment and check for the order of fuel.

I never run the blowers in a no wake zone or after engine shutdown. Didn't know it was recommended. What is the logic behind this anyway?

I operate the blower when re-fueling and before start-up, unless I have the engine compartment open then i don't bother. Am I asking for trouble?

Never run the blowers during refueling. After, before starting only.

W

Install an 18" section of flex hose on the blower inlet, and terminate it at the same elevation in the bilge that the present blower inlet sits. Put at least a 45 degree bend in the hose, and your revised blower should be 50% quieter.

W

Mine has been getting annoyingly loud. It wasn't just air noise, but motor noise. I did find that one of the two mounting screws was lose, and this was allowing play in the housing and vibration, all of which made the noise much worse. When I tightened both screws down it got a lot quieter, but I have a feeling that the bearings in the motor may be wearing out because it still seems to whine. I generally just leave mine on all the time I'm running, which may be contributing to it wearing out, but I'd rather be safe.

Thanks for the advice on the Attwood. I want a quieter blower. I'm sick of the noise.

Mine has been getting annoyingly loud. It wasn't just air noise, but motor noise. ... When I tightened both screws down it got a lot quieter, but I have a feeling that the bearings in the motor may be wearing out because it still seems to whine.

That was my case ... one blower was considerably noisier b/o high frequency vibration/screech (bearings?). I could hear the old blowers over noise of the engine at cruising speed. Now they are barely noticeable in cockpit with engine cover closed, and hard to noticed at idle speed.

I replaced the foam under my engine compartment with dynaliner, it's a sound deadening, shelf adhesive black foam. I also replaced my blower and wrapped it in some dynamat that I had on hand. I also used it on the mounting tabs. Made a big difference in the sound levels for sure.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_15410425/Dynamat-Xtreme-Wedge-Pack.html?tp=2277

Crutchfield has the dynaliner as well, it required 2 kits to complete the engine cover on my 1930ss.

post-14881-0-63628500-1352271681_thumb.j

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=2029&hl=%20loud%20%20blowers

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=454&hl=blower%20noise

the above links address this issue. the fist link references the second link. my pictures are no longer active. if anyone is interested, i'll have to find them and repost or use something like photobucket.

look at these links and comment.

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=2029&hl=%20loud%20%20blowers

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=454&hl=blower%20noise

the above links address this issue. the fist link references the second link. my pictures are no longer active. if anyone is interested, i'll have to find them and repost or use something like photobucket.

look at these links and comment.

George - I would love to see the photos of your install/fix.

Thanks!

Seamus:

i am a little late replying to the request. i did finally find the pictures i took after modification of the blowers. i uploaded four pictures of the blowers and one of my Xtreme Heater placement between the engines. take a look and let me know if you have any questions. i loaded the all pictures in my gallery, four in george290 pictures and one in Xtreme Heater pictures.

Better late than never! Never, Never, run your blowers while fueling. Close windows, cabin door etc while fueling. After fueling, open doors and run blowers for a couple of minutes prior to starting.

I have replaced two heavy-duty, 12A each, noisy black Jabsco blowers with a new type like this from Attwood (4" Model 1749-1): http://www.attwoodma...e/turbo-4000-ii

Much quieter and easier on the batteries ... only 3A each ... nearly the same capacity in CFM. I believe this type is being used on newer boats. Save the old deutsch connectors as you will need to use them with new blowers.

OK, I just bought 2 of the Attwood's and will have my mechanic replace the existing ones (using rubber grommets) when he tunes up the engines. I'll let you all know if it solved the issue.

if you don't isolate the blower from the hull, you will still have noise. scres will still go to hull even woth grommets. have him mount them on vibration dampners.

did you see my photes? i tried to email you but said you couln't get emails for some reason.

if you don't isolate the blower from the hull, you will still have noise. scres will still go to hull even woth grommets. have him mount them on vibration dampners.

did you see my photes? i tried to email you but said you couln't get emails for some reason.

Hey George - yes, I saw your photos - thanks! I will share them with mechanic.

FIXED! I bought two of the Attwood 4000's, and let my mechanic do the rest. He enlarged the mounting holes, inserted rubber tube in the mounting holes, then used rubber grommetts on both sides of each hole to isolate any vibration. Fired them up yesterday, they are nice and quiet now!

why never run blowers while refueling?

It can pull gas fumes into the engine compartment. Better to rrun them after fueling to clear the fumes out of the compartment.

Also, as you don't want to risk running anything electrical with potential fumes. Cabin door should be closed, all passengers should be off boat. Once fueling done, then run blowers and ventilate cabin. Once good to go, passengers may re-board.

FIXED! I bought two of the Attwood 4000's, and let my mechanic do the rest. ... Fired them up yesterday, they are nice and quiet now!

Glad it works for you ... :)

The batteries will also feel better with only 1/4th amp draw compared with the old blowers.