Proper starting for 2005 180ssi

We are new boaters and just purchased a 2005 180 SSI. A simple question- what is the best and safest way to start the engine? Previous owner instructed us to turn the key part way and let the fuel pump start and listen for a whistle. Then to repeat the procedure again before starting the engine. The manual has no mention of this. A second question: there are 80 hours on the engine. What maintenance should be done to be safe? Thank you for your time and help. Sam.

When you turn the key, listen for a high pitched "beep" to sound for a few seconds and then stop. This is described in the manual. If beep continues or starts at any time after the initial beep, there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Also, if the boat has not been started for awhile, turn the key to the first position, listen for the fuel pump to complete it's cycle, then start the engine. This is not necessary, but may deter problems over the long term, and will make it easier to start the engine with reduced cranking time and fatigue.

:thsmilie_water_119-1:

Previous owner instructed us to turn the key part way and let the fuel pump start and listen for a whistle. Then to repeat the procedure again before starting the engine. The manual has no mention of this.

This is right ... energize the engine, wait for self test beeps, and do not start it until fuel pump stops building up the pressure. I am not sure about doing it twice ... might do more harm than good.

But before anything ... start the engin compartment blowers for a few minutes, and open the engine comparment hatch to sniff and look for troubles.

My way for any carbed engine with electric fuel pump.

All will have low fuel level in the carburator after sitting for days @ 90 F or weeks @ 60 F. So

I turn on the blowers & open the engine cover to check for smells. I also turn the key to ON for about 15 to 30 seconds. That will refill the carburator fuel bowl completly. I then push the throttle lever 1 time to FULL SPEED & back to NEUTRAL. This is done WITH OUT CRANKING THE STARTER !!!!!.

That WILL SQUIRT A LITTLE GAS INTO THE ENGINE & SET THE FAST IDLE IF NEEDED BY AIR TEMPERATURE.

That does prevent NEEDLESS starter cranking. It always fires up. 30 F or 105 F.......

Now you can turn the key to run the starter motor. BINGO !

If it does not start reliabily ? Get help. Something is starting to wear out. It will possibly get you out on the water later