Stereo advice planning an upgrade

Planning to upgrade our 2009 270 Signature stereo system. We think this was original system on our boat receiver is Clarion M475 200 watts...has iPod jack and Sirius. We currently have the 2 speakers in the cabin and 2 in the cockpit in radar arch. Those in arch are blown. Wanting 6 speakers around cockpit possibly 4 in cockpit and 2 out above swim platform under sun pad directed out stern (CJ orca has these out back on their 270). Need advice about amplifiers, subwoofers and speakers. Do we need to upgrade receiver? (Hoping to use existing receiver if possible with amp etc...). We don't have to be the loudest thing on the water but would like to be able to crank out clear crisp and good volume when desired.

Has anyone done this, and if so what you did and what you would do differently if you had it to do over?

Also would like to incorporate rgb led speaker rings and other rgb lighting...anyone done this on their Chap? Thanks!

WettedBliss,

Check out Crutchfield and their marine section. I've already replaced my cockpit speakers with JL Audio speakers (JL Audio MX650-CCX-CG-WH) and the goal this summer is to add a JL Audio M700/5 5 channel amp and add 2 more JL Audio MX650-CCX-CG-WH and mount them on the front side of the engine cover facing into the cockpit. I plan on disconnecting the cabin speakers and driving all the cockpit speakers with the 4-channel amp running off the stock Clarion stereo. Not a big fan of Clarion, but I don't want to mess with the 2 remotes in the cockpit. For the 5th channel it will drive a JL Audio MX650-CCX-CG-WH 10" sub mounted underneath the starboard side cockpit speaker. Just adding the 2 speakers late last year improved the sound quite a bit and I would have done the entire system in the fall, but a deployment to the sandbox cut into my boat mod time. As you can see I'm a big JL Audio fan having used them in several car installations. Other quality brands that I like...polk audio, infinity, MB Quart.

Greg

Definitely check out the m770's by jl audio! I put these component sets in the radar arch and cockpit with a four channel amp, they scream and remain crystal clear as the volume goes up. If your not comfortable cutting bigger holes, consider the 650's by jl! Either way, you shouldn't be disappointed. They also carry a 2 year warranty, if you blow them, jl will send you a new pair!

Thank you for all the great input! Considering two 3" speakers under sun pad facing out the stern. Two 10" subs...above step on port side next to cooler slot and on stern side of captains chair....below where it swivels Tower speakers up on arch...(not so sure about headroom..still measuring.). Replacing existing speakers in cockpit with upgrades.....will keep stock Clarion receiver...don't want to mess with remotes either. Will also have a switch to turn off cabin speakers completely and just run cockpit speakers. Bummer in that radar arch is not deep enough to install more speakers up in it...have to go to towers...

LOVED the suggestion on another post of RGB Lighting...will definitely be part of this upgrade..;-).awaiting quotes from stereo dude.

WettedBliss,

Check out Crutchfield and their marine section. I've already replaced my cockpit speakers with JL Audio speakers http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136MX650CW/JL-Audio-MX650-CCX-CG-WH.html?tp=3384'>(JL Audio MX650-CCX-CG-WH) and the goal this summer is to add a http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136M7005/JL-Audio-M700-5.html'>JL Audio M700/5 5 channel amp and add 2 more http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136MX650CW/JL-Audio-MX650-CCX-CG-WH.html?tp=3384'>JL Audio MX650-CCX-CG-WH and mount them on the front side of the engine cover facing into the cockpit. I plan on disconnecting the cabin speakers and driving all the cockpit speakers with the 4-channel amp running off the stock Clarion stereo. Not a big fan of Clarion, but I don't want to mess with the 2 remotes in the cockpit. For the 5th channel it will drive a http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136MX650CW/JL-Audio-MX650-CCX-CG-WH.html?tp=3384'>JL Audio MX650-CCX-CG-WH 10" sub mounted underneath the starboard side cockpit speaker. Just adding the 2 speakers late last year improved the sound quite a bit and I would have done the entire system in the fall, but a deployment to the sandbox cut into my boat mod time. As you can see I'm a big JL Audio fan having used them in several car installations. Other quality brands that I like...polk audio, infinity, MB Quart.

Greg

Have you considered the sub above the step on port side aft of cooler slot? ...easy access from engine compartment.for install...we are thinking there b/c we keep a big ice cooler where you mentioned putting the sub under speaker above cup holders......also thought about forward facing in engine compartment...but are often in the water at the spring behind our boat hence thinking of tower speakers that can swivel forward or sft. Thanks for sharing. Any thought on Kicker or wet sounds?

Haven't thought about the sub on the port side next to the cooler. I guess I liked the starboard side under the stock speaker because it will be out of the way and it will be the shortest distance to run the speaker cable from the amp. I plan on mounting the amp inside the cabin close to the head unit, probably in the small cabinet. Cheaper RCA cables that way. I thought about speakers in the arch as well, but you're right, not enough depth to mount good speakers. Tower speakers would work, but I agree that head clearance could be an issue. Kicker makes good amps, but I'm not really that impressed with their speakers. They're good for playing loud, but their clarity and depth ain't all that great. Wet sounds is new to me, which makes sense, all my past installs have been in vehicles.

BTW.....how's the boating down in the Tampa Bay area?? (i know dumb question!!!) I'm trying to get the military to station me at CENTCOM or SOCOM, so I can boat year round and dive off the back of the boat.

Good luck. Let us know what you go with.

Greg

Haven't thought about the sub on the port side next to the cooler. I guess I liked the starboard side under the stock speaker because it will be out of the way and it will be the shortest distance to run the speaker cable from the amp. I plan on mounting the amp inside the cabin close to the head unit, probably in the small cabinet. Cheaper RCA cables that way. I thought about speakers in the arch as well, but you're right, not enough depth to mount good speakers. Tower speakers would work, but I agree that head clearance could be an issue. Kicker makes good amps, but I'm not really that impressed with their speakers. They're good for playing loud, but their clarity and depth ain't all that great. Wet sounds is new to me, which makes sense, all my past installs have been in vehicles.

BTW.....how's the boating down in the Tampa Bay area?? (i know dumb question!!!) I'm trying to get the military to station me at CENTCOM or SOCOM, so I can boat year round and dive off the back of the boat.

Good luck. Let us know what you go with.

Greg

We love boating in Tampa Bay. You have Beer Can Island as a place to go, but we prefer running down to Shell Key Preserve just north of Fort Desoto, north side of Bunces pass. There is also Weedon Island, and of course all the beaches. Weather is great. On the last trip down to Shell Key the last weekend in January the waters were smooth, it was 15 degrees above normal temps and we ran into about 15 - 20 dolphin down near Shell Key frolicking in the channel. Actually I believe they were breeding and not really too interested in all the big @ss boats barreling down the channel. Then you have Gasparilla weekend. Google Gasparilla and see what you find. ;-) In fact the dolphin siting was on Gasparilla weekend. Saw lots of stingray surfing the shallows as well, and the stargazing was spectacular. There are also many springs, and our favorite boating spot is Silver Glen Springs....72 degrees year round even when it's 90+ and humid as anything, that water is refreshing and crystal clear. if you have a trailer dragging down to the Keys is some fabulous boating as well. Good luck with the transfer. ;-) (salivating yet?) LOL

P.S., the diving in and around the Bay isn't all that great although many people do it, but Crystal River you can dive with the manatees and many of the other springs such as Ginnie Springs, or Key Largo you can dive off your boat in some of the best diving conditions anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 2/25 - we thought we had the configuration down (below).... however, JL does not make a quick release for the tower speaker pods.... for peace of mind, we are now talking to WetSounds since they do make a quick release for the speaker pod and have a 6 pin connector/quick disconnect for the RGB LED lights... the whole thing comes off and can be locked in the cabin when not in use.. Looks like back to the drawing board. Looks like the Wetsounds pods are a few more hundred deer, but for the peace of mind to get them down and out of sight when not in use we think it's worth it.

Anyone have the REV 10 Tower speakers? If so, how many and what amplifiers are you powering them with? Separate amp for the Subwoofer(s)? Would love to hear about your setup.

1. ETXV2 classic Tower pods SKU- 91340
    1. M770-ETXv2-SG-WH
  2. Speakers Pair of M770-CCX-SG-WH SKU-91784
  3. One Subwoofer M10IB5-SG-WH SKU-91780
  4. MHD750/1 and a 60 Amp fuse
  5. MHD600/4 Amplifier 150 Watts x 4 (speakers) and a 50 Amp Fuse
  6. M-MCPV2-DM Tower speaker connecting hardware for radar arch
  7. RGB LED light rings, music controllers, etc.

I am swapping out my sound system in my 2013 244 sunesta. Here is what I have done (rev's are the best tower speakers you can buy)

I opted for the rev 8's because from what I have read it creates better "near" boat sound were as the rev 10's create better "wake board distance" sound.

set of rev 8's
replacing the 4 interior speakers with wetsounds xs650's
1 wetsound 10" sub
wetsound ws420 equilizer
1 wetsound amp HT-4
1 JL audio amp m600/6

Specs:
xs 650's (4) -- 100 watt RMS (total of 400 watt rms)
Rev 8's (2) -- 200 watt rms (total of 400 watt rms)
10" sub (1) -- 300 watt RMS

Total potentialL 1100 watt RMS

AMPS pushing:
JL M600/6 pushing the 4 xs 650's and the sub -- 75 watt rms x4 (going to each xs 650, totalling 300 watt rms.) & bridged last channel to 10" sub 200 watt RMS

HT-4 pushing the rev 8's -- bridged 300 watt RMS to each rev 8 (600 watt rms)

Pushing a total potential of 1100 watt rms. Leaving 25 watt rms on the table with the xs 650's and leaving 100 watt rms on the table with the sub. I am not into making everyhting raddle with sub noise so I am ok with leaving some on the table with the sub.

Overall not bad with only pushing this with two amps.

Equilized with the WS420 to i dont blow any speakers and they all sound good together.

I purchased all the equipment and I am going to have someone professional installer it. I spoke to my installer about my equipment and he said I did everything perfect aside from the in boat speakers. He said wet sounds in boat speakers are very very nice but nothing matches the JL audio in boats. He then said he would always go with JL audio amps as they are more reliable than wetsounds (I already had the wt-4 wetsound amp from the factory so we worked with what I had).

He followed up with the wet sound tower speakers (rev lineup) nothing compares to them.

So to sum up, the perfect system is jl audio amps, jl audio interiors, wet sounds tower speakers.

However I went wet sounds all around except for one amp. I cant wait to have it installed.

Wet Sounds in my whole boat. 2 each Syn-4 amps. 2 each Rev-10's, 4-in boat, 12" Sub.

1 amp powers the sub (2 channels) and the 4 in-boats (other 2 -channels)

1 amp powers the Rev 10's, (2 channels per tower speaker) I think it ends up being 400w to each Rev 10.

Ask your installer about line drivers. Very handy for turning the in-boat and towers up and down independently.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 3/11/13 - Looked at Wet Sounds Towers, they are the only ones with the quick release so you can stow them, however realistically our set up with as tall as we both are tower speakers on the arch just will not work for us on the 270 Signature. We went with a design by Maximum Audio and Video in Tampa and they get installed tomorrow 3/12. - can't wait. Will upload video of the finished product with link to Youtube. Planning to rock Cayo Costa State Park 3/15 - 3/17. :banana2:

Head Unit: - existing Clarion M475

Amps: JL Audio Two x MHD600/4 Amplifiers

Speakers 3 pair JL Audio:

Two x M770-CCX-SG-WH White Sport Grills to replace the existing 7.7" Clarion speakers in existing locations above cupholders on starboard, and sink to port

Two x M880-CCX-SG-WH White Sport Grills (8.8" pair) one on starboard on padded panel above and forward of cupholders behind helm seat, and the second above the step on the port side aft of the cooler locker.

Two x M650-CCX-CG-WH White Classic Grills on the stern of of the boat pointing aft under the sunpad

Subwoofer: JL Audio 1 x M10IB5 10" Subwoofer Whith Sport Grill, installed under cupholders on the starboard side

RGB LED's light strips with Music Controller throughout the cockpit, under the cockpit sink, and under dash and above cupholder area, etc for downward lighting glow. (mood lighting!)

Thanks to everyone for all the great input. :banana2:

I am swapping out my sound system in my 2013 244 sunesta. Here is what I have done (rev's are the best tower speakers you can buy)

I opted for the rev 8's because from what I have read it creates better "near" boat sound were as the rev 10's create better "wake board distance" sound.

set of rev 8's

replacing the 4 interior speakers with wetsounds xs650's

1 wetsound 10" sub

wetsound ws420 equilizer

1 wetsound amp HT-4

1 JL audio amp m600/6

Specs:

xs 650's (4) -- 100 watt RMS (total of 400 watt rms)

Rev 8's (2) -- 200 watt rms (total of 400 watt rms)

10" sub (1) -- 300 watt RMS

Total potentialL 1100 watt RMS

AMPS pushing:

JL M600/6 pushing the 4 xs 650's and the sub -- 75 watt rms x4 (going to each xs 650, totalling 300 watt rms.) & bridged last channel to 10" sub 200 watt RMS

HT-4 pushing the rev 8's -- bridged 300 watt RMS to each rev 8 (600 watt rms)

Pushing a total potential of 1100 watt rms. Leaving 25 watt rms on the table with the xs 650's and leaving 100 watt rms on the table with the sub. I am not into making everyhting raddle with sub noise so I am ok with leaving some on the table with the sub.

Overall not bad with only pushing this with two amps.

Equilized with the WS420 to i dont blow any speakers and they all sound good together.

I purchased all the equipment and I am going to have someone professional installer it. I spoke to my installer about my equipment and he said I did everything perfect aside from the in boat speakers. He said wet sounds in boat speakers are very very nice but nothing matches the JL audio in boats. He then said he would always go with JL audio amps as they are more reliable than wetsounds (I already had the wt-4 wetsound amp from the factory so we worked with what I had).

He followed up with the wet sound tower speakers (rev lineup) nothing compares to them.

So to sum up, the perfect system is jl audio amps, jl audio interiors, wet sounds tower speakers.

However I went wet sounds all around except for one amp. I cant wait to have it installed.

Sounds like that system will 'kick it'. Keep us updated after you get the system installed.

No pics with me but the system is absolutely nice. Only problem was a very "faint" buzzing sound coming out of the tower speakers when at low volumes --> this could be because i had the stereo on inside my storage unit so the storage unit might be distorting the sound at lower volumes. Because I didnt notice it at the audio place when they demoed it for me but I was so happy with how loud and clear it was I doubt I would have noticed it anyways.

I am heading back up to my lake house this weekend so I will know more. But man these wet sounds speakers sure are clear at high volumes.

No pics with me but the system is absolutely nice. Only problem was a very "faint" buzzing sound coming out of the tower speakers when at low volumes --> this could be because i had the stereo on inside my storage unit so the storage unit might be distorting the sound at lower volumes. Because I didnt notice it at the audio place when they demoed it for me but I was so happy with how loud and clear it was I doubt I would have noticed it anyways.

I am heading back up to my lake house this weekend so I will know more. But man these wet sounds speakers sure are clear at high volumes.

Yeah, all of the videos online of the wetsounds at a distance are amazing how the sound carries, and stays true. We had a tough time deciding there are fans of Wet Sounds and JL Audio fans, so it was very very tough. We finally had to decide on our goal which wasn't to be the loudest thing out there, but great quality sound at a variety of volumes and it seemed that what we read about JL everyone commented about the great quality. Who really knows who is right/best, I guess as long as we are all happy with what we install then we've done great. We have had a variety of configs and input from professionals, but the guys we selected have won a bunch of industry awards and seemed to be the most knowledgeable based on all research. Hope you are too dazzled by the new sound system to any other 'buzz' from your tower speakers! :hehe:

Maximum Audio and Video does some upholstery and custom work and were installing a total interior in an older model chevy impala that was custom double stitched white and red leather custom dashboard, center console, interior seats power installed, stereo, subs and amps in the trunk... it was truly amazing the work in this old chevy that was up from Miami and apparently owned by someone in the Rap music industry. We were very impressed with the level of detail and the custom work..... not my taste, but well done work. They were also working on a custom dashboard with lighting and speakers on a Jeep that was great work as well... some great creative minds. Enjoy your new tunes!

Sounds like you came up with a nice upgrade package, post some pics when it's done.

It's amazing how decent of an audio system you can put together these days for relatively minimal investment (compared to 25 years ago when I first started doing car audio stuff). With most of the brands being owned by only 2-3 parent companies, the internals are so similar these days when you crack them open, brand Y vs. brand X doesn't mean a whole lot anymore. You've got the extreme low end junk, which has always been low end, a very few truly high end companies still left with more than just a brand name, but most of it falls in the middle somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

In case you haven't had everything installed and wanted another listen to the Rev10's, I pulled my boat out yesterday and was prepping. I was tuning the stereo and recorded this for fun:

Below is a link to Youtube video showing the speakers, sub and RGB LEDs. I filmed this on a dock at a state park when my fellow 'docktailers' had crashed so I could not run the stereo at the hour it was filmed, but will show you the RGB LED light strips in action.

You can buy RGB LED light strips and music controllers and install them yourself, or have a local professional install them in your area. they shouldn't cost you more than 150 - 200 small deer, but installing them can be tricky. We chose to go with the strips and not the speaker rings on our Signature 270 when the stereo was installed. They informed us the music controllers are really twitchy and probably would be very unreliable in a marine environment. The supervisor told us he had replaced a music controller four times in his vehicle.

The RGB LED strips come with a small credit card size controller so you an adjust brightness, program the colors, and adjust the speed at which they change colors. Maximum Audio and Video in Tampa installed ours. Here's what they look like and they are pretty cool when you have the music going..... Will have to see how they work with the disco ball in the radar arch. LOL

Some shots of the new speakers, and the old ones and the stern before speakers and after. While we liked the look before the speakers went in, just can't beat the sound so that's the sacrifice. Name on boat is being changed. Would love to incorporate the speakers as letters in the new name if any of you creative geniuses have any suggestions would love to hear from you. :banana2:

In case you haven't had everything installed and wanted another listen to the Rev10's, I pulled my boat out yesterday and was prepping. I was tuning the stereo and recorded this for fun:

They sound great! Thanks for sharing. :clapsmiley:

Unfortunately with our 270 layout we would be standing and banging our heads on tower speakers. Captain is 6'4" and I'm 5'11" so the towers just didn't work for us.... the Captain was bummed too. However the JL System sounds amazing so we are still very pleased and the RGB LEDs rock too!. Enjoy your spring boating.

Question on speakers.. I'm planning an upgrade as well. I currently have 4 of the older Alpine 6.5" and a 10" older Bazooka woofer (I think this is stock). Im pretty sure the bazooka amp is stock as well. What do you guys suggest? I've already upgraded the head unit to the Clarion M502 and added new Clarion remotes. I know there are a ton of guys that love JL but the price is a little steep.. If its worth it, I don't mind paying the extra deer. I'm also planning on adding a few more 6.5" to the rear to mount above the swim platform.

Thanks.