Heiko

Headlights

Hi,

i am looking for a headlight for my Chaparral 270 for driving. So my idea is to have a headlight with a remote control and to have it sitting in the front of the boat. Can you recommend me some lights and give me some ideas to install?

Maybe you have something in your minds where i don´t need a cable to the cockpit where I can plug-in into 12v plug.

thanks for your help.

regards

Heiko

What is the maximum price ?

Do you want a true wireless control..........Radio Controlled unit that can be 9 volt powered and laid down anywhere ?

Do you have a usefull range of candle power you would like..........A 500,000 to 1,000,000 candle power is NOT needed for nighttime docking areas.

You will need to have your bow area cover cut & resewn for a protective hood.

Been a while since I went surfing for a R C bow light.

Do a web search with the words of.....radio controlled spotlight... Enjoy

Collision regulations forbid the use of any light that obscures any navigation light. That said all kinds of people use them. No problems until you are sitting in court!

Pontoon boat morons, I mean owners, think docking lights are the same as headlights on a car. Pisses me off every time I boat at night and pass one of these knuckleheads. Can't tell what's coming at you or what you're seeing cause they drown out the nav lights.

To my knowledge, in Canada, Docking lights / spot-lights are illegal for navigational use.

There is growing concern about the use of docking lights by boaters while on the open water. Most all pontoon boats and many run-a-bouts now have docking lights. Boat operators should be aware that these are NOT running lights and should only be used when you are approaching a dock. On the open water, these lights harm the night vision of other boaters and could cause them not to see on-coming boats. Marine Police will issue a citation if you are caught using docking lights on open water.

Correct...these lights are to be used as docking lights.

So back to the question, I have a remote spotlight on my boat and to tell you the truth, I've never used it. I generally don't come into dock when it's pitch black out. And when I do come in, there seems to be enough lights from the moon, or the street light at the dock to aid in docking.

I can understand why some boaters may use their docking lights at night on certain water ways. For example, rivers: sometimes it's terribly hard to see stumps, logs, and other obstructions. Turning the lights on may allow you to see the obstruction much sooner.

However, that's no excuse to run the lights. It's a good reason to slow down at night. When people ask me why I have no "headlights" on my boat for night running, I hand them my 6 D-cell Maglite flashlight w/ 1,000 lumen LED bulb and ask them to turn it on \off the front of boat (as long as no other boats are present). Then I ask them "Can you see any better?" The answer is almost always "no."

For night lighting, the angle of incidence upon the water is too great for the light to be reflected back to you. In other words, you can't see anything because the light bounces off the water as if it were a mirror and is reflected away from you.

Pontoon boat morons, I mean owners, think docking lights are the same as headlights on a car. Pisses me off every time I boat at night and pass one of these knuckleheads. Can't tell what's coming at you or what you're seeing cause they drown out the nav lights.

Same problem here on our Lake.

Really "Chaps " our $^& npt knowing which way they are going..

Have to bite my tongue on this one. Proves my point that anyone can own a boat. Headlights are for cars or for lighting the Head in a boat.

Thats why boats don't have head lights! Now they do have docking lights that can be mounted on the bow. Because of the above point, you can use docking lights at night. They basically aim down, about 50ft out and not that bright. If there aim more outwards, thats were the problems begin. Also mounted below the Nav lights by 12 to 24" At night I would go slow, lights or not! Anything like a 2x4 can quickly turn a great day into a very bad one! Never mind some one getting hurt.

Not to upset any one, but 2 years ago I was involved in a boating accident were someone died. And yes, it was at night!!

+1 ... they're not headlights, they're docking lights. Meant solely for use when approaching the dock, and NOT underway. Yet some (put your own description here) run with them lit up.

Same deal with any other boat lighting (spotlights, LEDs, x-mas tree ... ) that kills operator's night vision and raises the potential for other vessels to be unable to observe valid navigational lights.

Hey everybody ! Look at me !

I can do what I want, anytime, anywhere,

Sure you can. Dorkhead.

That sums up my attitude of 60 mph Donzis at 2 am in the morning .

Or a offshore racer with 1600 hp in the St. Lawrence River near Lake Ontario.

( Please hit a shoal. )

Buy a remote spot light and mount it on your railing above the anchor locker.

Use it only when you deem it necessary to illuminate a hazard in the water while you're underway.

Be careful not to loose your night vision from the bright light.

The original post was a month ago and the original poster hasn't commented in this thread since then. Either he's embarrassed that he asked the question or he got the point that boats don't need "headlights."

I learn a lot about boating from the many posts.

I am sweating getting my boaters Certificate this spring. Old guys take a lot longer to do everything. :)

Chief Plasma, on 11 Feb 2013 - 18:19, said:snapback.png

The tow boats / barges do not seem to have any trouble using them while underway. :)

Big difference in them speeds

Tow boats / barges by the international collision regulation are considering as vessels with restricted manouvering ability.That means other vessels have to take responsibility of overtaking them.They have to exhibit them special identity lights regarding what they are and what the job they are doing.Plus the navigational lights if they are underway or the lights showing them situation,example on anchor or adrift etc.Lights during the night,shapes during the day.For a vessel of this kind the other vsls have to pass minimun half a nautical mile around them,or may be more if a special announcement has been issued by NAVTEX or other navigational warnings to navigators which describes the kind of job doing ,the name of the vessel the lat. and long. (position on earth) and the minimum required distance to pass from them,sometimes and the maximum permited speed to overtake them.So in this cases if they have more lights for them needs regarding them job,a navigator knowing the collreg (collision regulation) understands what is going on and what must do.Of course there are some times when the more than the navigation and identity lights ,are lighting in a wrong direction or illumination and making blind the around navigators.Rule is ,when you see too many or strong lights on a vessels or even ashore,which you cannot understand,slow down your speed to the minimum steering speed,try to understand what is going on,confirm on chart or gps that you are in the correct / safe , position/course as you had plan your trip.After if all OK try to understand if they are a special working vessel ,or somebody needing help who turn on all his lights in order to catch the attention as may be not working his VHF.Usually all are OK and safe is to keep clear a safe distance from these vsls regarding the around waters.Narrow ,shallow waters or what else....:)Happy boating. :thl_speedboat: