Sign in to follow this  
jim & michelle

need someone to test for electricity in water

I am in need of someone to come to our dock on Lake Texoma to test for electricity in the water. Our 3 yr old outdrives are getting ate up by corrosion.

We had the drives serviced recently and there was way to much corrosion on the alum. drive, stainless parts of the drive, the underwaterlites brass covered and the thru hull fitting for the generator almost corroded shut. The mechainc checked the bonding system on the engines and the out drives all are hooked up properly. I have a zinc fish that hangs between my drives and is covered with corrosion. the zincs that ore on the outdrives are not that bad hardly any corrosion at all on them.

The Corps "said they could find nothing in the water"

we will pay for any help....

thanks,

Jim Young

405-642-4796

You are on a fresh water lake, right?

If so, zinc anodes do not do much other than seal themselves from the lack of galvanic activity in fresh water, and then they do nothing at all. If the lake water is not polluted, switch to magnesium anodes, otherwise use aluminum anodes.

What is the zinc grouper connected to? Strange that it has corroded and the zinc anodes on the drives have not (unless they are old and sealed, or painted over).

Also, check shore power on your boat (galvanic isolator), dock, and ask neighboring boats about any problems. Often the improper shore power wiring (dock, your boat, or other boats) is a culprit.

If the problem persists have a good and experienced marine surveyor test your boat with a silver/silver chloride reference electrode to find where the difference of electrical potential is coming from. Sounds like this is the way you have decided to go ... find a good one, it can get tricky to troubleshoot this.

Fish anodes work but the proper connection must be made. Also different quality of zinc is not helpful. I would stick with all the same brand of zincs and replace all of them at the same time.

Pk has very corrosive water, it think you may need anodes that are for brackish water. My props come out looking very different when I spend a weekend on that lake. They look all corroded, but it's actually a ton of mineral deposits that stick to the props like glue.

I would contact a GOOD water testing service. Have them give you a sample bottle. Follow the instructions.

Some marinas have their own water treatment plants. They are not always correct.

The water sample will tell ALL about minerals dissolved in the water. & PH. It can be so far off that it is more like battery electrolyte.

Marinas also do midnight weed killing with Copper Sulphate. After a while the Copper does NOT kill that much weeds. Use more & more Copper.

Lots of things to check. Hope the problem is NOT suspended minerals. Not good or easy to correct at some locations.

Edit Do a web search of.......... water qualiy of Lake Taxoma and PH. Read the load of chemicals they are dumping in & the milli volt ranges of the water.

You are on a fresh water lake, right?

If so, zinc anodes do not do much other than seal themselves from the lack of galvanic activity in fresh water, and then they do nothing at all. If the lake water is not polluted, switch to magnesium anodes, otherwise use aluminum anodes.

What is the zinc grouper connected to? Strange that it has corroded and the zinc anodes on the drives have not (unless they are old and sealed, or painted over).

Also, check shore power on your boat (galvanic isolator), dock, and ask neighboring boats about any problems. Often the improper shore power wiring (dock, your boat, or other boats) is a culprit.

If the problem persists have a good and experienced marine surveyor test your boat with a silver/silver chloride reference electrode to find where the difference of electrical potential is coming from. Sounds like this is the way you have decided to go ... find a good one, it can get tricky to troubleshoot this.

If you are in a slip with other boats I be looking at other boats shore power not bonded properly

That happens when people do not repair equipment on their boats. It brings out the .....You can not force me to anything !!...........attitude.

A defective galvanic PROTECTOR can cause the problem also. So much electronic stuff that we assume is always working.

People running a generator with improper Neutral & ground wires while still plugged into dock power.

Notify the Marina. They should be trained enough to sort it out. You pay them to do that with your rental fees.