cjohnson0818

What prop should i be useing

9 posts in this topic

Did you buy the boat new? GXi engine line is fuel injected and should be fine for your elevation. Do you have the duo prop (counter rotating prop)? I haven't seen a 5.7 GXi without one. Good luck.

No i bought it out of California its a repo,I live in Ut i got to try it out once in november before i was forced to park it and look at it all winter and it was only running WOT 4200 rpm it just seems low , my old OMC Cobra would run 5200 rpm but i dont know about the GXI 5.7 with the duo prop, I was told it has an F 6 set of props

I run a set of F 7 on my 8.1 gi when I'm at Lake Powell and they work great (5300 WOT ) However I had difficulties higher up at 6,000 feet above sea level. I opted for a set of F 5 (not F 9 as stated earlier, SORRY) for the higher elevation lakes, they work great (5500 WOT) but with little low end out of the hole,

the higher you go. The slower everything happens.

Less air pressure at 5000 + feetmeans less power. The standard computer can only keep the right ratio of air to fuel to prevent engine damage. .It can not increase the horsepower of a engine above the design level. Usually sea level pressure is the set point.

Unless you are running in a deep mine shaft. :)

I have a 05 204ssi with a 270hp GXI drive. I also have had trouble turning more than 4600 rpm no matter what prop I have tried.

There is a Volvo service bulletin that gives recommendations for gear ratio for high altitude.

My boat also was from california. I need to change the gear ratio in my outdrive.

http://www.marinemechanic.com/volvo/volvo/2010/44-0-8_A%5B1%5Dhighaltituderatios.pdf

Thanks that was helpful mines a 95 to 1 so ithink im good i put the fuel pump on and im getting 5000 out of it so i think im good now loving my chap