lannie

Water in front storage compartments 204 SSI

Is it normal for the front storage compartment to always get wet? If I run taking the boat out to run the engine, when I dock the boat the carpets are always wet. Is there a plug open that should be plugged?

Are you going fast enough to take water spray in from the bow smashing into waves ? That will cause wet floor carpets.

If your boat does NOT HAVE a working water pump in the bottom of it. That will cause the boat to ride too low & force water up into any drains in the front of the boat that drain outside of the hull. There should be small chrome hoods over any drains to go thru the hull.

A picture of your boat floating is really necessary to see how low in the water it is floating.

Moving slowly.

Bow up just before climbing up onto high speed & fully sliding along at maybe 35 mph.

Tough call from my blind position. Unless this is a common problem with your year & model of boat.

What year is your boat & the engine size if known ?

Which storage compartment. Picture will help a lot. Mine is always dry unless it rains or we bring water in. If its by the bow cooler I would check the drain line connections, they have been finding a lot not connected from the factory.

Had the same problem with my sig 250. Dealer stated I was puting too much stress on the bow eye when putting it on the trailer. They re- sealed the area and I started to back the trailer in further when retrieving the boat. That really lessened the water intrusion but didn't completely solve it. I just learned to live with a little water up there. Greg

I have a 2007 204 SSI, it only has 80 hours on it. Should it matter how fast or slow I used the boat? Is the boat designed for the storage to stay dry?

It is not from rain. I keep the boat in dry warehouse. When I run the boat all storage areas are wet. I docked the boat and open the engine area and I do not see a drop of water coming in the boat. I do understand that if a stop sudden i can get some smash in from the the waves.

Even under the back bench seat it gets wet. Basically I have no dry storage.

Any ideas?

It's not normal ... sounds like there is a leak somewhere and water gets splashed all over when boat is in motion.

You need to check every thru hull for leaks and missing connections. The unfinished connections, loose tubes, etc have been reported. Search the forums for "leak" and you will find some recent topics which will give you some ideas what to look for.

Thanks for the support. I got the my main question answered. The compartment should be dry. That's what I though but had to confirm. Now that I know, I will start looking for the leak.

Thanks again, David

Lannie. Mine stays dry all the time unles we either have rain or from water sports. Under normal boating conditions you should not have water inside IMO.

Some sources that I can think of:

Speedo supply tube leaking or not connected. Leaking

Drain tubes from the front cooler, dash cooler, rear platform coolers not connected.

Cooler water from ice melting

Drain plug allowing water back in bilge or it isn't sealed correctly.

You need to call Chaparral & describe your problem.

It sounds impossible to get water on the floor carpets, storage compartments & under the back seat unless the foward inner moulded hull has filled up with water.

Does water come over the front of the boat & into the front floor area ?

Which storage lockers are getting wet ? under the front seats ? Do you have a storage locker under the floor anywhere ? Is it full of water ?

Will go to the Chaparral site & look up your boat parts list. Then we will all know where the wet areas are.. Back in a while.

Your boat is a big bowrider. Looks just like my 2002 186 SSI. Went to the Chap site.

There is no way for the storage area under the rear seat to get wet............ UNLESS the engine hoses or pumps are spraying water into the seat back areas.

I have a feeling the foward part of he hull CAN NOT drain to the engine area. That would cause the floor locker to wet the floor. Does the floor locker ever have water in it or look or smell moldy ?

Thanks for all the support gentlemen. This is my first time owning a Chaparral. Seems to be built very good. I didn't feel Chaparral would install carpet in those compartment if Engineers designed it for dry storage. I bought the boat last summer and only used a few times. The guy that I bought it from could not afford to keep it was the only reason he sold it. He claimed it was normal to have water. I guess the the boat always had a loose connection and the original owner didn't question the dealer. I will contact Chaparral and see if they will help me resolve.

Thanks again for the support, David

If Chap says no can do. Post a bunch 0f pictures showing the wetness areas DRY before going out & then WET when you come back.

I would open the big FLOOR STORAGE door & look DOWN in there. It should be loaded with water & mold.

The lower ski storage always has water. I thought that was normal also. I always rinse with freah water prior to storing the boat and open all compartment and allow it to dry in the sun. I have learned over the years not to store a wet boat. So I do not have any mold. I keep a close eye on that. But I do know get water in all compartments on a 1 hour boat run with no large waves, flat water run.

NOw I know I have a leak to find

I will not have time to look at this until the weekend. I will keep you posted on my findings.

I will get pictures

I had the same problem on my 226. The women on board put there purses under the right bow cushion, which is carpeted. After a couple hours cruising and floating, the purses and carpet were soaked. This happened during the first 10 hours of use, but has'nt happened again. Will keep eye on.

I had a 2008 204 ssi and it stayed pretty dry. I stored stuff under the bowrider cusions and never really had a problem. Only time that i had water in the bilge/ski locker area was when it rained. That said, I checked pretty often, just in case.

If the front under seat storage is getting wet you need to check the through hull hoses for the anchor locker and the front cooler drain. If those come loose the bow will take on water and wet those compartments.

If water gets into the anchor section, where does the water supposed go to? I unscrewed the sections of carport inside the storage compartment and checked with a flashlight (because it is so hard to access). Best I can tell, all hose fittings and hoses are in place and appear to be tight.

I did notice the the anchor sections has a hole for the water to drain. But it appears it just drains in an open channel. No hose or even a fitting to connect a hose on it.

David

The problem is NOT resolved yet. Now that we are starting to get

warmer temperatures I will be putting the boat in the water soon.

I did open and unscrew every section and checked every hose and fitting.

Every thing appears to be in place and tight. It is very hard to service

these areas where the fittings are located. Bad design in reference to

servicing these areas in my opinion.

I will get a few friends with flash lights to watch for water next time a

put the boat in the water.

I think it is the anchor section could be the issue. I do not see how the water drains out.

It appears to run directly into a open channel in the center of the boat. I assume it drains to the back section of the boat somehow then gets pumped out with the bilge pump. If that's the case, if water comes over the front bow, it will go directly in the anchor section, then drain into the open channel which appears to run very close to the

the carpet compartments.

David

Some times a bulkhead that rests on the hull bottom CAN SEAL up & prevent draining to the engine room or other pumps. Need to call Chaparral for locations of possible bulkheads. Building leftover scraps can block drains in the hull.

Aeasy & very accurate check of each out of sight drain line.

Need 2 buckets with handles. Tie a rope to 1 & then tie it to the boat so it is under a hull discharge opening.. Pour into the hull compartment 1 gallon of water slowly. It better all be in the outside bucket.

Do that to all invisable & unreachable drain setups..........It works very often.

I don't get any water in mine. I would expect that much water coming in would be noticeable. Is your speedo working?

Yes, it does work. In fact, everything works on the boat less the radio remotes. The boat only has linke 11 hours on it. I bought it with only 8 hours on it from a guy in Baton Rouge. It was only use in fresh water and strored in a warehouse. It really never got rain on and stayd outdoors for the most part. It looks brand new.

When I bought it, the guy mentioned it was normal to have water in thoses compartment. At the time, I took it face value. Now I know that is not the case and I want to solve the issue.

Guys, I want take this time and thank everyone for the great support! We will find the issue!

David

Are you sure the anchor compartment does not have an exterior drain. My Sunesta anchor compartment has a thru hull drain with a little clamshell cover over it. I found my passage was clogged with mud brought in by the anchor. I had to flush the mud and debris out tomake it work properly.

I did find that my under bow cushion compartment held water, several inches, when it rained in the boat. Come to find out, if the boat is not stored on the level, the self bailing channels around the perimeter of the cushions are not deep enough and water overflows into the carpeted storage underneath.