I just purchased a 2013 H2O fish and ski and was wanting to upgrade the fishfinder to a larger screen with GPS. Has anyone else installed one and if so where did you install it at and do you have any pictures of it mounted. I'm thinking it can be mounted over top of the cupholder but I am not sure if there is room to swivel it. I am looking at the Garmin531s. Thanks Bill.

Take a measuring tape to the boat. Measure from the center of the cup holder opening to the windshied at a angle you would want. Done .

Got to places where they have what yo would want or one the same size as you would want.

Enjoy..............ask if you can retur it if it st too big.

Worst case is you buy exactly what you want. Sell the boat with that one on the dash.

Do NOT worry about someone else on a new boat.

I did the Ram Mount myself above the cup holder (on the 45 degree slant upwards toward the top of the dash) on my ski and fish 2013. I went with the Lowrance Elite 4, only because the bigger units (which is what I wanted) will not fit where I stuck it and had no space between the window and steering wheel. The Elite 4 however has been great and works great on the lakes here in Oklahoma. I'd post pictures, but the boat's still in winter storage till April. I can at that time.

Ripley, congrat for your new baby. This morning I went to the dealer to see my new H2O 19 Sport 2013. I was thinking about a GPS and Fish Finder. But as you realize, the dash is too small for 2 units. The dealer advised me to use the " Unit LOWRANCE Elite - 5 DSI" which is a combo of fish finder and Combo. Apparently, it fit well on the top of the cup holder. My only concern is reliability of the LOWRANCE unit because I never heard of it. Garmin is more popular. So 328 Dude make me more comfortable.

Ripley, congrat for your new baby. This morning I went to the dealer to see my new H2O 19 Sport 2013. I was thinking about a GPS and Fish Finder. But as you realize, the dash is too small for 2 units. The dealer advised me to use the " Unit LOWRANCE Elite - 5 DSI" which is a combo of fish finder and Combo. Apparently, it fit well on the top of the cup holder. My only concern is reliability of the LOWRANCE unit because I never heard of it. Garmin is more popular. So 328 Dude make me more comfortable.

Chacephi H2O

LOWRNCE is a legend name in aviation and marine instrumentation. LOWRANCE and SIMRAD are owned by Navico now.

GARMIN is well known for consumer GPS products, and is practically a newcomer just getting into the marine commercial market. Same with RAYMARINE, which is another name you will find at WestMarine.

You cannot go wrong with any of them ... you will find GARMIN most popular in recreational and light commercial markets.

I would not go Lowrance. I bought there 7dsi unit going from a Garmin and had nothing but problems with it. There tech support is not that helpful. I sold it & went right back to Garmin!

As to the DSI part, I could NEVER see the bottom the way there pics on there site were showing. I also had problems with the MNEA0183 outputs. I love my Garmin 740 that I bought a 2nd one to use as a fishfinder. But my boat is a little bigger, Sig 290

I have used both and like the lowrance hds over garmin for fishing, I had a garmin 740 and the gps was nice just have to keep buying 3d chips and updates, fishfinder average, nice color.

both brands customer service has been great to me.

ask your dealer for sure but I was told you can only use a transom mount transducer in the H2O's ?

Thank you Iggy. Does the Garmin 740 is a combo of Fishfinder and GPS. And how big is the screen and base. Just for space management. Chacephi H2O

The 740 is a GPS alone, the 740S can do both. I will say to, it important witch transducer you are using. They make dual bean, single beam, 50Hz, 200Hz and and ones that do both 50Hz & 200Hz. It gets to be confusing!

How about the 547xs? Not yet available in the U.S. but looks to be a good unit, with preloaded maps for U.S. coastal and lake areas. Takes an 8-pin CHIRP transducer, such as Garmin part # 010-11927-22. I don't know how deep you want or need the transducer to go. Ensure you can install a thru-hull transducer (if that's the way you wish to go) in your engine compartment on your H20.

http://radioworld.ca/gpsmap-547xs-p-11336.html

740s is a nice unit; total overkill would be the 741xs if you wanted it, and were willing to wait for it to become available in the U.S.

http://radioworld.ca/gpsmap-741xs-p-11334.html

NOTE: the 741xs takes an 8-pin transducer. Some compliance issue in the Garmin 'xs' versions not yet being offered for sale in the U.S.

Scroll down to page 5 for some of the CHIRP options if an xs system is desired:

http://www8.garmin.com/transducers/d/Garmin-Transducer-Selection-Guide.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about installing the international version of the 547xs which is the new 527xs. I know I need to install a transducer. I think it comes with a transom mounted transducer. Any recommendations on where exactly to install the transducer and how? Also how to do the wiring. I prefer the transom mounted transducer because I don't want to drill in the hull.

Any help would be appreciated as this is a brand new 216 ssi 2013

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a 2013 H2O fish and ski and was wanting to upgrade the fishfinder to a larger screen with GPS. Has anyone else installed one and if so where did you install it at and do you have any pictures of it mounted. I'm thinking it can be mounted over top of the cupholder but I am not sure if there is room to swivel it. I am looking at the Garmin531s. Thanks Bill.

Ijust bought the same boat and want to do the same thing.I looked at the 531s and you can use the same transducer that's on the garmin 150 just get a adapter.The 531s is 5 inches and I think it will work in the cup holder just like the 150 does.If you put a 531s on let me know and I will do the same that's the one I am going to buy

I am looking into a gps/finder widescreen unit but as mentioned I am not sure where to put it at this point. There is a nice area just behind the windshield that you could mount a large unit on a ram mount. You would view it through the windshield when driving and if you are fishing from the bow you could just swivel the unit 180 degrees. Any thoughts on this?

We have a Garmin 5208, and all I can speak to right now are its GPS features. It is outstanding. I also want an excellent fishfinder and look forward to where this thread goes.

I also have the 5208. The fishfinder features are very neat. they look like goldfish crackers on the screen and are colored and vary in size. we have tested in clear water and it works great. here are the part numbers I used. GSD 22 Sounder MDL 010-00397-00, Transducer w/ Temp 010-10272-00, Cable Pass through, T- connectors, Garmin GXM 51 Weather Rcvr.

these all work great, I have my main screen set to show water temp, depth and coordinates, speed, etc. - the fish finder has a few different views the 3D view is fun as there are a few wrecks that as you pass over the 3D shows the shape fairly well and the colored circles really show the fish using it as cover.

This weekend, while I was cruising my 19" H2O 2013 ( 4.3L, TKS ALPHA 190 hp), I went to the wrong spot and get stuck on the mud. As a novice, it took me a long time before I realized where I was and what was the real issue. My prop is still good, but I think that I may need a new one soon. Could some one tell me where I can order the same aluminum prop and what is the item #. Also what is the big difference between the stenless ans the alluminium. Thank you for all advices.

Chacephi H2O

your prop ID # should be on the hub of your prop. if you boat in shallow water and hit bottom a lot you may want to stay w/ the AL. prop the SS is very strong and if you hit hard the prop will not be the weakest link. better to damage the prop and keep your drive intact. AL props can be repaired. buy a spare and have the original redone