Jimt

I toured Regal Boat factory a couple days ago

It's in Orlando, FL about 1 mile from the airport. I had a 12 noon flight and they run tours every M-F at 9am so it was a no brainer. 100% hand made and hand assembled everything. I will never complain about the price of a new boat ever again. I could not believe how complicated and labor intensive boat building is. Mind boggling. Just how they make the fiberglass molds made my head spin, not to mention the actual fiberglass parts that then get poured into the molds. Too many moving parts for me to comprehend. I do love the fully enclosed "coupe" models of Regal. I love my 310 and the heavy duty Lexan windscreens, but the leak like #$^%. But the 35 Regal coupe has it beat with fully enclosed glass like a car, with an electric retracting hardtop! Chap needs to make some coupes. Regal rep who gave the tour said they've become unbelievably popular. Would love to visit the Chap factory for a comparison to Regal.

Jim, we just returned from the Chaparral plant this month and I too was amazed that boat building is a hand made operation. i asked the question why robotics wasn't part of the building operation. (knew the answer) but the response was: numerous types of boats i.e. size, models, options; and low quantities by model....computerization and robotics on the line is NOT economically feasible.

With a launch on my 310 in 8 days, whose counting, not sure if our 310 will be large enough for extended stays VBG and like the Regal 35, wish you didn't bring it up, VBG

The pic of your 310 is awesome and we can't wait to take our first mini-cruise on 3/8.

Regal boats made the impression on me before. The new 35 Sport Coupe looks really sweet ... hmmm!

I found this interesting bit on Regal site in the COMPARE section. I have no way of confirming or disproving the claim so I will just let you all ponder the potential implications. Here is the clip ... strange!

ABYC.png

Jimt i received mu 330 the same year you got your 310, I too have had a bad experience with the isenglass and canvas leaking like crazy. Most of my leaks are not the glass itself but the stiching that holds the glass to the canvas. My rear canvas leaks so bad that you cannot leave anything or anyone on the rear seat. When I leave the boat for any period of time i have to deploy the seat slightly so that the seat does not stain from the water that collects in the crease. As for the way the windshield glass fits lets just say that the water has already shorted out my bow thruster control besides leaving puddles of water on the dash and running down both sides of the side windows, I have to constantly take the carpets up, if I don't they end up being soaked. Chap has told me they are working on the problem and that they are going to try and fix the issues with mine? I chose not to get the lexan because of the storage issues,I use my boat often and live aboard three to four days a week, I will let you know what the dealers canvas guy comes up with as far as a fix goes.

Yeah I suggested that tour to Admiral once when we're at DW. Got the "Not happenning" look. :(

I lucked out with my Admiral. I told her all about the tour and she said "hey maybe we should take the kids to Orlando, and we can all go to the factory together..."

Jim, we just returned from the Chaparral plant this month and I too was amazed that boat building is a hand made operation. i asked the question why robotics wasn't part of the building operation. (knew the answer) but the response was: numerous types of boats i.e. size, models, options; and low quantities by model....computerization and robotics on the line is NOT economically feasible.

With a launch on my 310 in 8 days, whose counting, not sure if our 310 will be large enough for extended stays VBG and like the Regal 35, wish you didn't bring it up, VBG

The pic of your 310 is awesome and we can't wait to take our first mini-cruise on 3/8.

Steve, didn't mean to poo-poo (as my kids say) our boats. I still love my 310 and know you will too. You will have no problem living on board for extended periods. Plus, the big problem with the coupe is you can't ever remove the glass! The other thing is that our interior is about the same size and layout as the Regal 35. I actually like the 310 cabin better! Good luck on 3/8!! Post pics please!!

Jimt i received mu 330 the same year you got your 310, I too have had a bad experience with the isenglass and canvas leaking like crazy. Most of my leaks are not the glass itself but the stiching that holds the glass to the canvas. My rear canvas leaks so bad that you cannot leave anything or anyone on the rear seat. When I leave the boat for any period of time i have to deploy the seat slightly so that the seat does not stain from the water that collects in the crease. As for the way the windshield glass fits lets just say that the water has already shorted out my bow thruster control besides leaving puddles of water on the dash and running down both sides of the side windows, I have to constantly take the carpets up, if I don't they end up being soaked. Chap has told me they are working on the problem and that they are going to try and fix the issues with mine? I chose not to get the lexan because of the storage issues,I use my boat often and live aboard three to four days a week, I will let you know what the dealers canvas guy comes up with as far as a fix goes.

I had a private canvas guy evaluate the factory Lexan glass on my 310 and he was not impressed either. I live with the leaks which aren't terrible but really annoying. I had my canvas guy make a console cover to keep all my controls dry. During hurricane Sandy, I removed everything except for my console cover and it was still there when I returned. For the aft canvas, I'm going to try to use a camping sealant to apply over all the stitching and where the isinglass meets the canvas. That's where the leaks are and I figure if I use camping caulk, it might do the trick. We'll see. If not, I may give to my canvas guy to try to re-sew it. I'm interested to hear how you make out with your situation.

I was just at the regal factory tour on Friday and it was impressive. Nice getting to see every possible model (almost) as well.

I was also suprised how much is done by hand. That the one laser guided razor blade cutter is all they use to cut the fabric for every boat.

I was looking closer at the 28 express. We love our 246 but are beginning to look at something we can sleep on with the kids. The admiral was impressed with the amount of space and light it had below deck.

Worthwhile trip!

I am not familiar with their various models but I have mistaken ,on occasion, a Chap when it was a Regal. They are both nice looking boats.

Interesting ... from Chap website: 2013 Sig 350 ... Fuel Capacity 159 gal.

Worth noting is that the new Sig 350 is most likely more like pre-2010 Sig 330.

I looked at the Regal Sport Coupes last year. I really like them, but they are only diesel options over 35'. Probably the main reason there isn't one floating in my slip right now. Great concept with the cockpit becoming integrated as part of the cabin living area. Really opens up the use of the cruiser in my opinion. The hardtop encloure on a under 500k boat is something Chaparral should already be designing to. Its really appealing as a person who lives in an environment where getting away from the sun is part of boating. Regal and Sea Ray both got close to getting our business this year, as they are already offering these options. Hoping Chaparral realizes that the 420 at 1m isn't the only boat that deserves this treatment.

We are very interested in moving up to a cruiser. We like the Sig 290 and 310 so I've been reading with interest all comments made in this forum. I just came from viewing the Regal site and is it me or does that arch look cheap or out of place on this boat. It just doesn't give it a nice line. The side window looks awesome and so does the interior. Looking at the 280 on line we recall seing one last summer and the Admiral didn't like it's lines. I guess I'm stuck with Chap...

I too toured the factory a few years ago when I was looking for my first boat. I really liked the Regal line so I planned the tour while piggybacking on an Orlando trip with my wife.

In between the planning and the actual trip, I found my Chap :D

I still took the tour and was amazed as well. Still love Regal and will consider them when my next boat purchase comes along. Probably far off down the road as we're having too much fun on our 220.

I looked at that Regal 36 footer at a boat show. Like to cockpit and cabin. However, it is quite a light weight boat for the size. It also had the same size engines (Volvo 5.7) as my old Sig 310 (the new 330). Sales person said the light weight made it go faster!!!!! It would be interesting to take it for a sea trial on a rough day.

When I looked at the engine compartment (with stern drives), one would have to climb over the engines to check any "vitals" including the batteries. Would be difficult to work on.

Phil, funny you mention that. I thought so too. It's only 2K heavier than my 31 which doesn't compute. I notice the length is 36'10" overall, but the swim platform must be 5 of those feet! It's definitely not a true 35 footer and I bet you'd really notice that in some sloppy seas.