Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Richard W

Boat race gone bad ...

6 posts in this topic

Sorry ... seems that the video is no longer available. If I find the video somewhere I will repost the link.

The accident just happened this weekend. It was an outstanding example of lack of seamanship on part of captains/crews on both ships.

bulk_cargo_ship_collision.jpg

I found another shorter version of that video ... enjoy!

The prelude when the ships were racing on (too) close parallel tracks is cut out.

VIDEO: Bulk carriers collide

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun AU: heraldsun.com.au

More about the Contenders:

SINGAPORE: A Vietnamese-registered cargo vessel damaged one of its hatches after it collided with another vessel in the waters off Singapore on Saturday.

The Maritime and Port Authority (MPA) of Singapore said the collision occurred about 3.4 kilometres south of Sisters Islands.

MPA said there was no oil spill or injury to crew members. Traffic in the Singapore Strait was also not affected.

A YouTube video showed the collision between the Vietnamese-registered cargo vessel "MV Thuan My" and a Marshall Islands-registered bulk carrier "MV Beks Halil".

Following the damage, the Vietnamese ship was shifted to the Raffles Reserved Anchorage for repairs.

The bulk carrier had no significant damage and continued its journey.

Source:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1258001/1/.html

The full length edited for screen size version of the original video is available again.

I have updated the link in original post.

I've never seen a ship that low in the water. But then again, the Great Lakes have restrictions now due to low water I think. That would be a wild thing to see out in Lake Erie while sitting on the beach watching.