Refrigerator quit cooling.

Hi, again friends. A little problem wanted to run past everyone before I took further action. My cabin isotherm frig in my 2002 350sig all of a sudden stopped cooling. Has worked great prior and had the temp set in the middle and it was nice and cold. Came back this past wknd and it was hot, food...well not good anymore...i may be able to salvage the beer. Lol. Fan is working/running and clean just not cooling? Not sure if it is the thermostat or the compressor just died. Not sure how to check either or if it's another problem. I will take any suggestions. Thanks.

Usually when you have blowing air but not cold air, the system has lost its coolant. That is usually caused by a system leak or a compressor on its way out. Sometimes you can just re-charge the unit and you're good to go but on a 11 year old frig, more than like the compressor is gone. leaks are caused by a hole in the system, and are hard to fix. Repairmen can re-charge with a dye. As it leaks out, the dye leaves a mark so you can find the leak. Often, the leaks are in the cooling coil or evaporator coil. It may be time for a new unit as the cost to repair may exceed the cost of a new one.

Al

Isotherm should be able to tell you how to test to see what has failed. I know several owners that have Isotherm refrigerators from around your model year and they have all had to replace the thermostat. Something about getting water in them and needing to beter sealed.

Any HVAC service company should be able to troubleshoot and hopefully make repairs.

The refrigerator is over 10 years old.

You may want to consider upgrading to a newer more effecient unit.

Do you have any idea how much those units cost? A replacement for his 350 will run him from 1200 deer to 1600 deer. There has not been any technology changes on these units in years and he will be able to find the exact replacement. The only major change they have done is an updated door lock mechanism. They not like home units on energy efficiency.

Do you have any idea how much those units cost? A replacement for his 350 will run him from 1200 deer to 1600 deer. There has not been any technology changes on these units in years and he will be able to find the exact replacement. The only major change they have done is an updated door lock mechanism. They not like home units on energy efficiency.

I do now

Ouch!

Thanks for the replies. I think it is a leak bcs I see coolant residue dried coming from the main tube. Bought JB Weld(3900 psi strength) and covered it. I may need a recharge and I heard that could be tricky doing myself. Will take to shop and have them do it to save on cost. If that doesn't fix a new on may be in my near future.

Any ac or refer unit I have ever sealed for a leak I would use leak seal or silver solder, then vacuum out and fill with nitrogen and check for leaks using a gauge and a black light, JB Weld does not have the same expansion rate and makes it a pain to clean off enough to seal the leak properly.

I do now

Ouch!

Most of these units run on D.C. 12v. They have inverters built into to them and they can to fail. I should have asked this question first. Does the fridg have the same problem on A.C. and D.C.??

Our fridge went warm last year. Talked to a repair man before the fix. With parts and labor, it would have been $ to repair. We weighed the options, and spent the $ on a new Norcold. We figured, the fridge made it 15 years, and had served it's time. Plus, the new fridge is way more efficient!

Weigh your options!

• 2 years later...