Took Delivery of Sig 310

We took delivery on 3/2 in the evening, winds were gusting over 30 knots and temps were in the low 40's and this is Bradenton, Fl. :-( A challenge gettingg into the dock first time. Did a 30 minute sea trial the following morning after 3 hour intro by dealer's team but winds were still 15-20 and temps moderated to 50 degrees. The boat was delivered in almost perfect shape, the locking mechanism to the cabin was not working and a new latch was sent within 24 hours.

We've been living aboard for 10 days, VERY cozy and not a live aboard boat. :-) and are in our first cruise from Bradenton to St Pete about 25 nautical miles and the Sig handled well in 2' - 3' seas and varying speeds from 15-35 miles per hour. The sweet spot is around 3200 rpms and gauges showed fuel burn of around 19-20 gal/hr.

On the way over, had to trim port side to compensate the list to starboard. I think with galley, captain and admiral as well as water all on or close to starboard the compensation to center the boat is normal?

10 days into living and cruising one small knob at the helm station broke.

I discovered the 10' beam is excellent for living with no side rail access port or starboard. The challenge is setting fenders and undoing canvas and TRYING to position the fenders when not having access to a dock side slip. Currently dock is on the port, open water to starboard. An additional cleat on each side aft would have helped.

In St Pete Municipal Marina, not a floating dock and 2 ft. tides and a 30 lb dog so ingress and egress with our pup is somewhat challenging., a 2 person task. :-) and another grab handle on the hard top on each side would be a help, but would affect the appearance.

Everyone commented on the Chap's great looks, the evening lighting and audio speakers are terrific.

Our dealer and Chap have exceeded expectations. 2 changes we're considering are foam mattress topper, the factory spring mattress exceptionally firm and very uncomfortable and possibly an easier aft canvas application; an hour to put on and 30 minutes to take off. I'm lazy.

The heater has been running and the noise takes some getting use to, but Chaps placement under the steps does help.

Our aft cabin is our crawl in closet, but surprizingly there are numerous areas in the cabin and outside to store stuff.

The dealer installed a fresh water wash out for engines and quick connect in the electric/water locker.

Love the boat and support to date and the 31 is a wonderful and attractive weekender. :-)

Still trying to upload a couple of pics, when I get into port I'll try again.

bought a 2012 chap 330 and agree the placement of cleats leave a lot to be desired.. The canvas on my boat is a big issue as to the leaking when it rains. Also the aft canvas leaves a lot to be desired,cannot allow people to sit at the aft seat when it is up,they constantly have to lean forward in order not to have their heads against the glass? Have had other issues but chap is trying? Dealer has been great , I was considering the 310 but agree with you not a live aboard,that is why we went with the 330. Good luck with the new boat.

bought a 2012 chap 330 and agree the placement of cleats leave a lot to be desired.. The canvas on my boat is a big issue as to the leaking when it rains. Also the aft canvas leaves a lot to be desired,cannot allow people to sit at the aft seat when it is up,they constantly have to lean forward in order not to have their heads against the glass? Have had other issues but chap is trying? Dealer has been great , I was considering the 310 but agree with you not a live aboard,that is why we went with the 330. Good luck with the new boat.

I just bought a 2011 Sig 290 and the midship & stern cleats to me are in the wrong spots!! I take delivery in May, so I have alread bought 2 sets of new cleats for the boat. Midship, you should be able to lean over and cleat your line. Not walk out on the bow to do it!!

Anyways, good luck on the new boat!

Hey Iggy,

Lemmeknow how/where you put your new cleats. I have a 240 sig and am getting ready to put two new rear cleats on the boat, probably where some folks put their fishing pole holders. We have a really high dock and need to place the fenders high on the hull. I will post when I'm done as well.

Steve,

Congrats on the new ride. Sounds like you have been well taken care of. The St. Pete facility is pretty nice but it's a shame they don't have floating docks. While your there, two things that you might enjoy. One is Egmont Key. This is the Island where the Tampa Bay Ships pilots base and it is also a Coast Guard station with a maintained light. It is the seaward most island at the entrance to Tampa bay on the South side of the Channel. You can't dock there but you can anchor on the inland side and swim, raft or dinghy to shore. There is a path to the ocean side that has some of the best shelling I have ever seen. You have to be careful where you step and many areas are declared a sanctuary for birds and sea turtles.

Across the channel from Egmont is Ft. Desoto Park. On you chart it may be called "Mullet key". There is a Fort there that was built in 1849 to defend the entrance to Tampa Bay. The original cannons are still there and so are the mosquitoes. Great beach area and good anchorage on the Gulf side. I believe the inland side is too shallow.

If you feel up to it, there is a great restaurant a little further North. It is located on the Madiera Beach Causeway connect Madiera Beach to the mainland. It is on the intercoastal and has easy boat access. It is called Gene's Lobster house. The food is fabulous!.

From St. Pete, you can either go up the Intercoastal or go out at Pass-a-Grille pass and back in at John's pass. The causeway is just a little North of John's Pass.

Happy Boating! I'm jealous!! :drinkinBuddies:

Steve, glad you're finally in the water! I know it's been a long wait. Al covered a lot of nice things to see around southern Pinellas. If you're heading further north let me know and I can point you to some nice spots north county.

Enjoy the boat!

Steve, glad you're finally in the water! I know it's been a long wait. Al covered a lot of nice things to see around southern Pinellas. If you're heading further north let me know and I can point you to some nice spots north county.

Enjoy the boat!

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the area. Al gave you some great places, and I'll just add that Shell Key Preserve is located just north of Fort Desoto and on the south side is a great place to anchor and access to the island there on Bunces pass and it's a lovely secluded island. Amazing shelling, as the only access to the island is by boat. You will frequently see dolphin and stingrays in the water here, be sure to do the stingray shuffle when you are walking in the water to avoid stepping on them. (shuffle your feet in the sand as you walk to alert them and they swim away so you don't risk stepping on them and getting stung)

If you do wind your way down the intracoastal waterways, another lovely area is Cayo Costa State Park, south Gasparilla island and north of Captiva. You can also visit Useppa, and Cabbage Key, where there is the Cabbage Key Inn and restaurant.

http://www.cabbagekey.com/home/

Enjoy the new vessel and welcome to the Tampa Bay area.

Hey Iggy,

Lemmeknow how/where you put your new cleats. I have a 240 sig and am getting ready to put two new rear cleats on the boat, probably where some folks put their fishing pole holders. We have a really high dock and need to place the fenders high on the hull. I will post when I'm done as well.

On the midship cleats, I want to be able to lean out. On my last boat, I put a folding step on the port side for my wife to reach it. She's 5,2 and I 5,5 so were not tall people.

Congratulations on the new boat! 10 days aboard a brand new boat sounds like a dream! I have to admit I've read some of your posts leading up to delivery and am happy the day finally arrived and the boat was everything you expected. We are still having some work done on our "new to us" boat and haven't gotten it in water yet, so I could relate to your anticipation! I did a little boating with my family around Tampa a few years back and always loved seeing the dolphins swimming near the boat.....it never gets old! Enjoy!

Made it back to Atlanta and wet and cold last night and good to be in a home., 12 days in a weekender is a little too long. The 31 operated flawlessly in slip and out. The Axius takes a little time to learn but once the sensitivity is addressed by the captain docking is easy even in an 11' slip and a 10' beam.

Returning to Palmetto from St Pete was part of the learning curve; winds were from the south at 15-20 and the first hour had a beam sea with 2-4's and a freighter heading to port created a pretty big wake.:-) Itried to cruise around 3000 to 3200 rpms ,18-22 mph but the pup din't appreciate the couple of times we went over a swell and pounded back into the surf. Backed down to 1500-1800 rpms and she cut through the water real well. My new Garmin nav was great and followed the bread crumbs back to port and AVOIDED all the shallow waters that plague the area.

One adjustment and I guess I finally need to open all the instruction booklets :-) is the Garmin radio, we just couldn't get it to turn on right away, finally figured out, it has a built in gps and pressing the distress button, immediately gives your position to CG and Boat US. Duh, now will turn on radio first!!.

Thanks Giorgio for your kind words, Al as always great suggestions and we need get together soon, I'm in Cumming next Wed.

Joe, sometime we'll head north towards you, we're taking our next mini cruise in April to Caladesi and then 2 days at the Clearwater Marina. We were thinking of Key West jaunt in May but hopefully a new residence is in the future in Palmetto and we hope to move in May.

Thanks to Dave & here and Now for your kind words.

Boating in the Gulf is wonderful but VERY DIFFERENT from fresh water. :-)

We've put 6 hours on the new Mercs in 10 days and our average fuel burns according to the Chap computer has been around 20 GPH about whjat the factory and dealer said we would experience with the 5.0's. Time to refill when we return, fuel's about 4.80 at the marina.

Made it back to Atlanta and wet and cold last night and good to be in a home., 12 days in a weekender is a little too long. The 31 operated flawlessly in slip and out. The Axius takes a little time to learn but once the sensitivity is addressed by the captain docking is easy even in an 11' slip and a 10' beam.

Returning to Palmetto from St Pete was part of the learning curve; winds were from the south at 15-20 and the first hour had a beam sea with 2-4's and a freighter heading to port created a pretty big wake.:-) Itried to cruise around 3000 to 3200 rpms ,18-22 mph but the pup din't appreciate the couple of times we went over a swell and pounded back into the surf. Backed down to 1500-1800 rpms and she cut through the water real well. My new Garmin nav was great and followed the bread crumbs back to port and AVOIDED all the shallow waters that plague the area.

One adjustment and I guess I finally need to open all the instruction booklets :-) is the Garmin radio, we just couldn't get it to turn on right away, finally figured out, it has a built in gps and pressing the distress button, immediately gives your position to CG and Boat US. Duh, now will turn on radio first!!.

Thanks Giorgio for your kind words, Al as always great suggestions and we need get together soon, I'm in Cumming next Wed.

Joe, sometime we'll head north towards you, we're taking our next mini cruise in April to Caladesi and then 2 days at the Clearwater Marina. We were thinking of Key West jaunt in May but hopefully a new residence is in the future in Palmetto and we hope to move in May.

Thanks to Dave & here and Now for your kind words.

Boating in the Gulf is wonderful but VERY DIFFERENT from fresh water. :-)

We've put 6 hours on the new Mercs in 10 days and our average fuel burns according to the Chap computer has been around 20 GPH about whjat the factory and dealer said we would experience with the 5.0's. Time to refill when we return, fuel's about 4.80 at the marina.

Steve,

Glad you are enjoying your new boat so much. My wife and I boat out of Venice, FL and we want to do a Key West trip as well. The month of May works for us. If you have no objections to traveling together, just let me know when.

Can you resize them to a smaller resolution in any software you have on your PC (though you may not need to)? I think Photobucket will take a high resolution file. I've likned 10MP pictures there, and just paste the link into your post here and they show up.

How's Atlanta? It's beautiful and sunny here, and the water has that great sparkle to it that it gets this time of year. Just sayin... :)

We took delivery on 3/2 in the evening, winds were gusting over 30 knots and temps were in the low 40's and this is Bradenton, Fl. :-( A challenge gettingg into the dock first time. Did a 30 minute sea trial the following morning after 3 hour intro by dealer's team but winds were still 15-20 and temps moderated to 50 degrees. The boat was delivered in almost perfect shape, the locking mechanism to the cabin was not working and a new latch was sent within 24 hours.

We've been living aboard for 10 days, VERY cozy and not a live aboard boat. :-) and are in our first cruise from Bradenton to St Pete about 25 nautical miles and the Sig handled well in 2' - 3' seas and varying speeds from 15-35 miles per hour. The sweet spot is around 3200 rpms and gauges showed fuel burn of around 19-20 gal/hr.

On the way over, had to trim port side to compensate the list to starboard. I think with galley, captain and admiral as well as water all on or close to starboard the compensation to center the boat is normal?

10 days into living and cruising one small knob at the helm station broke.

I discovered the 10' beam is excellent for living with no side rail access port or starboard. The challenge is setting fenders and undoing canvas and TRYING to position the fenders when not having access to a dock side slip. Currently dock is on the port, open water to starboard. An additional cleat on each side aft would have helped.

In St Pete Municipal Marina, not a floating dock and 2 ft. tides and a 30 lb dog so ingress and egress with our pup is somewhat challenging., a 2 person task. :-) and another grab handle on the hard top on each side would be a help, but would affect the appearance.

Everyone commented on the Chap's great looks, the evening lighting and audio speakers are terrific.

Our dealer and Chap have exceeded expectations. 2 changes we're considering are foam mattress topper, the factory spring mattress exceptionally firm and very uncomfortable and possibly an easier aft canvas application; an hour to put on and 30 minutes to take off. I'm lazy.

The heater has been running and the noise takes some getting use to, but Chaps placement under the steps does help.

Our aft cabin is our crawl in closet, but surprizingly there are numerous areas in the cabin and outside to store stuff.

The dealer installed a fresh water wash out for engines and quick connect in the electric/water locker.

Love the boat and support to date and the 31 is a wonderful and attractive weekender. :-)

Still trying to upload a couple of pics, when I get into port I'll try again.

S

Steve, CONGRATS on the new ride!!! I'm very excited for you. Sorry your delivery day was so weather challenged, but so was mine!! Re listing to starboard, it was probably the wind, seas and the fact that your weight and most of the cockpit seating on the 310 is on the starboard. I am constantly using the trim tabs. The fuel and fresh water tank are both mounted centerline so that's not the source of a list (water tank is under the forward berth and waste tank is on the port side engine room).

The heater noise doesn't bother me. While I love to hear the water lapping against the hull, I hate to hear voices and dock noise when trying to sleep, plus I love the cozy warmth in 40 and 50 degree rainy weather! Also love the hot water heater!!!

I'm jealous about your dock side fresh water flush. I've asked my dealer to install for me. I hate the job of accessing the engine room to do the fresh water flush.!

Get some pics up!!!!

Steve, upload your computer's pictures to Photobucket. Then open a "new post" in Chap forum. Right above the area where you'd normally type text for a post, you will see a little icon of a tiny photo underneath and slightly to the left of the smiley face emoticon. Left click that photo icon and a window will open for you to type in a URL. Now go back to Photobucket and copy the url "direct link" of the photo you want to insert. Then go back to Chap post where the window for the photo URL is, then past the direct link into that box. Repeat this process for as many photos as you want. No resizing necessary because all Chap forum is doing is pointing to the URL, not actually storing the photo in memory.