Problems w/ Changing VP DPS Gear Oil

Hello all. I bought new a 2008 224 Sunesta with a 5.7 and DPS lower unit. I finally got fed up with the 4 week, $XXX engine/lower unit oil changes by my local boat mechanic and decided to do it myself. All went well with the engine and fuel filter but the lower unit is a different story. I bent the tool VP requires to remove the front prop but after buying a steel rod, managed to remove. The screw which is the drain plug will not come out. I've tried WD40, screwdrivers, drills (battery and electric) and it won't budge. I finally decided to take off the housing that contains the screw (figuring it would be easier to work with on my workbench) and did drain the gear oil but still can't remove the screw. Another concern and to my surprise, the gear oil was solid black, not the golden color described above. Two questions for everyone: 1) I know the color should be golden when going in but is anyone's gear oil black coming out after a season? 2) any ideas on how to remove the screw? You can assume where this is going...have I been paying for 4 years for a lower unit oil change and it has never actually been done? Thanks in advance for the help.

post some pics of your setup if dont mind., I have done a few youtube searches for lube oil changes and watching those the oil appeared dark brown to black as well. i imagine your mechanic just overtightened the screw. you should also replace the o-ring as well.

I do my own maint. each season. Dark or black oil after a season (approx. 50 hours) is normal for my DPS. Have never had a problem removing drain plug. One thing I have noticed is that it take "forever" for the oil to drain.