1 year old life vest-recommendation?

Vests are tough for the little ones. Both of my daughters hated wearing them because their small bodies made any vest very bulking and hard to move in. You'll need one that has the head pad that keeps their head above water. Try to find one that is the least bulky and you'll be thanking yourself! I had a lot of screaming whenever I put the vest on my little ones!!:)

I " condition " the smallest child to WANT to wear a jacket by having the adults put their jackets on while standing on the dock with the child. We leave the the childs vest next to them. As each adult puts the jacket on & comes aboard. We hug them & they sit down. When a parent & child are alone on the dock .

The child WANTS the jacket on so it can join all the others in the boat. If it balks ?? We drive off. :) .........I like to give people choices for most anything.

Usually the child WANTS to have 1 on also............They want to be like all the adults. Some children need more than 2 attempts.

Westmarine is very pricey!!!!!!!!! BUT, I would take her there & make a big deal out of it for her. The other reason, is for a good fit. She can try them on & you can see which ones fit her the best.

My girl now 4 years old has been boating since she was 5 months. Knows more about boats than most adults. She immediately puts on her vest, checks to see if I put the battery on then asks to turn on the blower. She knows what a no wake zone is along with other important things on the boat.

My girl now 4 years old has been boating since she was 5 months. Knows more about boats than most adults. She immediately puts on her vest, checks to see if I put the battery on then asks to turn on the blower. She knows what a no wake zone is along with other important things on the boat.

She's cute!!!

I can't wait until she ask you for the keys to the boat. I have 3 kids 25, 30 & 32 yrs old.

My daught called me up years ago when she used my car. I think she was 19 at the time and said "I got 2 flat tires, what should I do?"

Mustang Survival Lil' Legends is what we use now.

The first life jacket I used for my 1 year old was a neoprene vest I got at Costco. It looked soft and comfortable. After it was on for a few minutes, she got real quiet. I swear it was choking her. The neck hole was tiny and when sitting on Mom's lap, it was closing off her airway. I cut that thing up and tossed it. My daughter is very slim so if it was chocking her, I would hate to see what it would do on a larger child. It was also extremely hot for her. This vest seemed like a good idea at the time but in actual use, it was a failure.

The Mustang fits well and ventilates much better. Keeping the little ones cool and comfortable is very important. The Mustang is your best bet for fit, function and comfort. Also, you need a vest with the huge collar. It turns them face up if they go in the water. Most little ones don't have swimming skills yet. It looks ugly and gets in the way but it is important.

My daughter is 3 now and afraid of the boat. Any tricks for getting her excited about the boat again? She loved it until about last mid summer.

My daughter is 3 now and afraid of the boat. Any tricks for getting her excited about the boat again? She loved it until about last mid summer.

Let her drive? Promote her to Admiral and let her tell everyone where they have to sit or decide which direction you go. That's how I get my kids interested, make them a part of the team not just a passenger. My older kids are deeply involved in launching and recovery. They like helping out.

This site has again cost me money as I just bought a Mustang Survivor Lil Legends jacket for my 2-year old.

Ben,

One of the things I have done with our 4 year old is "appointed" her at the Safety Sergeant. She checks the life vests, is one of my look-outs and helps with the lines. Get her involved, does she have a fishing pole yet? #$^% we practice with a rubber weight casting inside the house and yes I get the rolling eyes from the wife.

Also I have taught her how to drive and she does it very well.

Including a young child in the operation of the boat generates interest.

Can you get the fenders for me ?

Will you count the life jackets ?

Could you check them for tearing ?

Will you help me coil up the ropes on the dock ?

Make sure the VHF radio is off.

Did anybody leave the suntan lotion bottle cap loose.

Thank you for helping me. :)

It really does create a bond & feeling they are needed.

Great tips guys for keeping the little ones interested. My 4 yr. old gets scared sometimes and doesn't always want to go out. The fishing pole is definitely a good one. I discovered a good one last year: I was in the water wiping down the boat and she wanted to "help". So now she LOVES to help Daddy clean the boat. She does the interior and helps me wipe the hull while swimming around the boat. She already is asking to help clean the boat again this summer!:)

Up here in Canada, I highly recommend the Salus brand, especially for young children. Extremely comfortable, and very safe. Cost more than other brands, but are IMO hands down the only way our family goes.

http://www.salusmarine.com/

Shepherd,

I have heard how good these vest are but I don't think they are USCG approved. The original poster is in Louisiana.

Yeah, I know CDN and US life vests are either Canadian Coast Guard, or US Coast Guard approved.

Salus does apparently have US retailers, but not in Louisiana. I know Salus is a Canadian company, but if they sell in the US, then I would have to think their vests would be mandated to conform to US regs.

Salus US retailers.

http://salusmarine.com/retailers/us.html

Our youngest went through a phase where he too became affraid of the (also around age 3) boat and would cling to his mother while we were underway. I finally figured out what was scaring him, he was affraid of the wakes, swells and waves becasue he would get blindly tossed arround becasue he was not yet tall enough to see in front of the boat or what was coming. Once I figured out what the issue was, I taught him where to stand and how to hold on using the railings, handles and his legs to adjust his balance. He quickly turned right around and began enjoying it again. He didn't like the sudden unexpected movements of the boat, but once he was able to see things and know what was coming, he felt in control and was fine. He's 8 now and abosolutely loves boating. The only issue he has now is did mom pack enough food and drink. I also like to keep them engaged by assigning them duties like unhooking the bow lines and hold onto them until the boat begins moving, using the boat hooks to keep us away from the dock, etc. Ours all used the Mustang vests when they were younger and were all pretty much boating as soon as we were able to get them outdoors in the Summer. Now we use the West Marine youth ones.

My wife has had reservations about taking our kids (3 and 5) out, finally to the point where kids are "big enough" and we have a boat ready. Escape, your daughter is beautiful, Cyclops, whaler, etc, thanks for the tips on how to get the kids involved. Hopefully, they'll both be old salts soon and Daddy can hang out in the cockpit and direct...lol.

I've tried just about everything mentioned. She does say she is scared because it is too bumpy so I will have to teach her about other boats and wakes. I can get her to think about going if I promise to go slow.

The only thing I haven't tried is putting her Cinderella castle on the boat. So, if yo see a boat on the water with a Cinderella castle on the bow and a little girl is a Cinderella costume, you know why. Don't laugh at me, laugh with me.