Sign in to follow this  
castle285ssx

Water Holding Tank

What do you put in the water tank to keep the water clean/safe to drink and do you have to check it occasionally, I have had some folks say bleach, and then some have said aqua tabs. Any suggestions?

There are many RV/Marine drinking water treatments ... I use 3R Purogene.

I found no foreign smell nor aftertaste in water treated with 3R Purogene.

It's not "bleach" although it contains the stabilized chlorine dioxide.

It is sold in liquid form, it makes it easy to dose and mix with any quantity of water.

I understand, some people prefer coke, some prefer beer ... :D

It all depends how the fresh water tank is maintained, and what one puts inside.

I always have bottled drinking water on extended cruises, but if I need to I can drink water from the tank.

I understand, some people prefer coke, some prefer beer ... :D

It all depends how the fresh water tank is maintained, and what one puts inside.

I always have bottled drinking water on extended cruises, but if I need to I can drink water from the tank.

:)

It doesn't take long for water to go bad just sitting in the hot sun in the tank. I would not drink the water use it for rinsing off, etc. you should flush the system at least once per summer, follow the procedures in the manual. I use bleach to flush and then small amounts to add to when operating. works fine, but the tabs work well too.

What I have found that works best for cleaning the tank is the CAMO Taste Pure Fresh Tabs. The tabs do not contain the bleach which can harm water components. I find after using the tabs the water stays fresh much longer. I have been very pleased with the results. I still don't drink the water, but do use it for other things.

If tank is clean and water treated properly it does not go bad for long time ... that's the secret.

Like with pool maintenance ... different treatment same principle. Some have nice crisp water and clean pool all the time, some need to shock the water and scrape the pool once a month.

I had pools for many years and they were always clean and clear. Still wouldn't drink out of them!

Neither would I ... because it's a pool and not a fresh water tank.

Most people in US and in many other places drink water that was stored at some point in some sort of municipal or private fresh water tank ... and you have drunk it somewhere someday. The secret is in the consistent treatment ... pure water does not go bad by itself.

We just get a liquid from Walmart in their RV department. We don't drink the water, but we like it to smell fresh. We probably have to refill our water every 2-3 weeks. I encourage the family to use the water, as it will get skunky in the hot weather.