catalanc

Water Purification

Hey Guys,

Has anyone installed an inline water purification cartridge into the PEX tubing? I was thinking of adding one in the cabin sink. I'm not real keen on drinking the water that has been sitting in the water tank. Paranoia? :scratchchin:

Hey Guys,

Has anyone installed an inline water purification cartridge into the PEX tubing? I was thinking of adding one in the cabin sink. I'm not real keen on drinking the water that has been sitting in the water tank. Paranoia? :scratchchin:

I wouldn't!!! We carry a gallon or two just for that. Anything in the tank we wash and shower with.

Now I would put a filter on the hose at the slip.

Not at all ... the purification filter is a good idea for any water that is not treated.

Our tank and water is well maintained, and the water is always good for drinking.

Still we take the bottled water for cruises, and use tank water as a backup.

If you plan to boil the water then the tank water is good until really stagnant.

We just bought the 3M B2 water filter. Its supposed to remove everything including mold, cysts, chlorine, etc...it wasn't cheap, but hoping it will make the water out of the tank potable without constant filtering and putting in fridge. Installing it this weekend.

We just bought the 3M B2 water filter. Its supposed to remove everything including mold, cysts, chlorine, etc...it wasn't cheap, but hoping it will make the water out of the tank potable without constant filtering and putting in fridge. Installing it this weekend.

we did the same thing to our 350. My wife now uses the water to make coffee.

We also have a filter/softner connected to the water from the dock.

TXTWIN,

did you install your 3M filter setup? I was just looking at it and it appears to be the thing. Also, has anyone simply used a Brita water filter jug? Could just leave it in the cabinet.

If you really want a water filter that protects your health, you need to go with something more than just water quality improvement filter like Brita carbon filters. You need reverse osmosis system, or UV light based system, or super fine filtration wit sub sub micron filter. The reverse osmosis is quite involved, UV light based is simpler, super fine filtration is simple but needs one good pump and is prone to clogging.

Check this UV light based filtration system plus sub micron filtration. It is popular in the sailing world, and effective in improving water quality and filtering/killing all nasty organisms. It comes in two sizes, and in 12V DC and 120V AC versions: http://www.waterfixercompany.com/model500.html (smaller model).

I like fresh served Chlorine water. KILL THEM ALL.

That works too ... or 3R PUROGENE, the next most common water treatment solution.

I use the 3M, B2 filter and have had one on two boats over the last 6+ years and always drink the water from it. It helps tremendously with the taste and I am sure it takes out most of the bio-crud as well. I think we get a little carried away with how filtered our water needs to be. If you take "reasonable" precautions you will probably be fine. After all, mankind made it hundreds of thousands of years without filters and drank a whole lot worse water.

The 3M B2 is a pretty good water purifier and sub micron filter ... good for most water conditions.

Not as sterile as UV but in a much better class than Brita purifiers on which I was commenting.

The Brita filter is designed to "condition" safe, clean city water ... not to treat suspect water.

The Water Fixer will take fresh water from a river/lake and make it perfectly safe and suitable for drinking.