Toddavid

Tow Tubes

After doing research on different tube configurations, I ordered this tube. Should work well for my 5 yr old daughter and her similar age friends.

http://www.amazon.com/Rave-02362-RAVE-SlingShot-Towable/dp/B003643Q6M/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1364567600&sr=1-2&keywords=rave+slingshot

Questions:

How well will the 12V inflator that came with my boat (factory supplied) work with this big tube? 70" x 88" x 25".

After inflating, what's the best way to tote it around? Strapped to the swim platform? Bungee cords? Rope?

How long of a tow rope is best used with a tube this size?

Thanks in advance.

Well the torpedo inflater that came with the boat will in flate it but it will take awhile. I have a "Molecule" and the torpedo could not put enough air presure in the thing. So I purchased a Kwik Tek HP Pump 12v inflator that connects directly to the battery fills it in about 20 minutes.

Most times I just deflate it everyday.

I have a massive Connelly 3 person tube and I use my garage air compressor to fill it. I'm afraid I'd either burn out my torpedo pump or kill my boat batteries trying to fill the thing. Mine is so big that don't use that tube other than on our lake vacation because of it's size and weight. I have a smaller 2 person tube that I will inflate with my torpedo pump though. Works fine for that. Then I bungee it on the swim platform.

I have a massive Connelly 3 person tube and I use my garage air compressor to fill it. I'm afraid I'd either burn out my torpedo pump or kill my boat batteries trying to fill the thing. Mine is so big that don't use that tube other than on our lake vacation because of it's size and weight. I have a smaller 2 person tube that I will inflate with my torpedo pump though. Works fine for that. Then I bungee it on the swim platform.

Never had an issue with the batteries with the either air pump.

I have a colman quick pump recharchable and it fills my large tube in about 3-5 minutes. Also have a blue tube pump \ air mattress pump that plugs into cig lighter that fills just as fast. 20 minutes is toooooo loooong. No good way to tote. Leave it on the bank at the camp ground or just deflate after use. The bungie strap things ar r a joke. Get the pumps at wallmart or local sporting goods store. Problem solved

Inflate ours at the beginning of season and leave it full all year, onboard pump does OK, just takes some time.

For transportation, I just flip it upside down on the swim platform and tie it off with a regular dock rock (nice pop up cleats on either side of swim platform). Run it thru the tube grab handles and around the cleats twice, never had an issue even at WOT....

Even when we are not actually tubing, kids & wife love using it for a raft while we are parked, so it's pretty much with us all times unless we are doing an evening adult cruise.

Every marina I have been at while vacationing has a pump service. Usually a few deer, like 5 or less and they blow it up in about 3 mins while I'm getting ice and sodas or whatever. When I go to the local lake I use my compressor to fill and then strap it down in the bed of my truck until we get to the ramp. During the day on the water I pull it up on the ESP or just tow people as we are moving from spot to spot. The thing is too massive to bring on board.

Octane_zps52c9894c.jpg

I have a torpedo inflator, which fills up my Big Brawler tube in a few minutes, but will not get it full enough. So I have a 5 gallon portable air tank that I use to top off the tube. I refill the portable tank with my garage air compressor after each trip out.

brick

I have a torpedo that came with the boat and it inflates my Super Mable 3 person tube in less than 10 minutes. The tube is about 8' x 9'. Never had any battery problems from operating the inflator. Sometimes the tube isn't as firm as I would like so I use a use a double action pump for topping it off, see link:

http://www.waterwedgie.com/AirheadDoubleActionPump-AHP-1.htm

Typically use a 50' rope. I have a suction cup/shock cord thingy (emphasis "sucktion") for lashing the monster down, that was a joke and deer in the water that I'll never get back. Usually just tie the tube off short and tow it as long as a ranger doesn't see you. Out here they'll give you a ticket for towing an inflatable without a rider on it.

Have fun with that new tube and watch the bumps with the little ones on it.

For those of you who fill their tubes at home, or have a 120v outlet available at the lake, try a shop vac. My neighbor was filling his Big Mabel with his compressor when I suggested he try his shop vac for speed. Put the hose in the exhaust and fill the biggest tubes in nothing flat. A compressor is great for pressure, not volume. The shop vac is the quickest and most efficient way and gets it as tight as you want. At the end of the day or weekend, reverse the hose to the intake side and deflate the tube in nothing flat. I wouldn't use anything else if I have 120v available...Try it, you'll love it.

First of all, take it easy with the 5 year olds on that tube. The seats appear to be high on the top. I always preferred a tube with the seating areas sunk in for smaller kids. As far as inflators go, I just use the cheap Coleman one that plugs into the 12 volt outlet. Inflates this tube in 10 minutes or so.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/H-O-26680200/HO+Formula+2+Tube.html

As far as toting it around when not in use, you have an extended platform so just hook the strap on the front of the tube directly to the ski eye. Most of the tube should ride up top on the platform while underway. When in use, get a heavy duty tube rope designed for larger tubes. I think they are about 60 feet long.

Hmm, I actually ended up returning the Rave based on some reviews I found elsewhere (uncomfortable ride for adults due to lack of padding under the seats). I ended up ordering a Super Mable, which I think will make a good floating lounger when on the hook, too. 4 person rope ordered with quick connect.

I'll test it with my torpedo pump before pulling the trigger on a different pump. Thanks for describing the hook up on the swim platform, that makes sense.

I'm not one to go full throttle with 5 year olds in tow, no worries there...

I have been using an inverter connected directly to the battery and a Coleman 120v air pump. Works like a dream. I have the 12v torpedo pump and hate it. Even the largest 4 man raft fills up in less than ten minutes in the middle of the lake with the 120v.

Agree to take it easy. With their LACK of weight it can get air born pretty easy. Longer rope helps with that some, ours needs a bit more rope. Our 4 person likes to get into the wake curl which puts an air gap under it. The shop vac is the way to go or if on the boat I have a colman mattress inflator that does the trick. Both help deflate too.

I guess my idea of "tubing" is vastly different than most have here. Growing up in my family, there was only one way off the tube - fall off. The speed at which you fell off was directly proportional to your determination to stay on. If you wanted a leisurely float, then you were welcome to an inflatable water lounge and a paddle.

I just picked up the O'brien super screamer - hopefully that will work for my style of tubing.

For those of you who fill their tubes at home, or have a 120v outlet available at the lake, try a shop vac. My neighbor was filling his Big Mabel with his compressor when I suggested he try his shop vac for speed. Put the hose in the exhaust and fill the biggest tubes in nothing flat. A compressor is great for pressure, not volume. The shop vac is the quickest and most efficient way and gets it as tight as you want. At the end of the day or weekend, reverse the hose to the intake side and deflate the tube in nothing flat. I wouldn't use anything else if I have 120v available...Try it, you'll love it.

Ditto on the shop vac/wet dry. It inflates the largest tubes in no time, and with great pressure. I carry mine on the boat at all times, and inflate tubes at the dock.

I guess my idea of "tubing" is vastly different that most have here. Growing up in my family, there was only one way off the tube - fall off. The speed at which you fell off was directly proportional to the your determination to stay on. If you wanted a leisurely float, then you were welcome to an inflatable water lounge and a paddle.

Ding Ding!!!

I plan on dialing in towing speed with 5yr olds on board to somewhere between this:

and this:

:yb624:

+1......... :hehe::banana2:

I think I blew out a disc just watching that second one!!