Sign in to follow this  
LPFDBadaBing

Bellows Question

Hello Everyone,

First off HAPPY EASTER!!

Next, I'm just looking for a general consensus from everyone on here...

I bought a 2002 183SS this past summer off my uncle, the thing is MINT. Only reason for him selling it was he just bought a huge RV and had no time for the boat. First time I dropped it in the water I had a little water in the bottom very slow/small leak that the bilge kept up with. Took it back out on the trailer and sat that my shift cable bellow was shot. Luckily it was the end of the summer so I just threw some silicone on it and used it a few more times and packed it away for winter. Now spring is here and its time to change the bellows. My dad and I are going to it and i want to do all 3 at once. My dad is a old school guy, built boats from scratch with my grandfather, big mercruiser I/O guy. He INSISTS that I use genuine OEM Merc Bellows. Which are most likely more DEER but the problem is I cant find them anywhere. Ive seen QuickSilver, ones GLM ones...what do you guys use???... ive seen many kits available that come with everything i need on marine sites, iboats, amazon,ebay.... after market parts ok to use?

i appreciate your feedback

Mike

30-803099T* Quicksilver Alpha Gen II bellows repair kit with gimbal bearing

865436A03 Rear shift cable kit with spare shift bellows and mounting gasket

805320A03 Trim sender kit

47-43026K06 or Q06 Impeller kit (K is Mercury label while Q is Quicksilver labeled)

32-8M0062600 Oil reservoir hose (you'll want this...)

92-858064K01 or Q01 2 quarts Mercury/Quicksilver High Performance Gear Oil

91-34277-1 Bellows adhesive

91-78310 Hinge pin tool

* will need the installation tool for the U-Joint bellows crimp ring on your Gen II Alpha.

For 32-8M0062600 I would just cut your current gear oil reservoir hose and replace with the new hose. Very frustrating if you break the plastic thru-hull fitting for the gear oil reservoir hose at the transom.

Alpha drive install tool. MerCruiser part # 91-865232. Best money ever spent in trying to install an Alpha drive, especially by yourself. Cheap price too.
91-865232.jpg
MerCruiser impeller kit. MerCruiser part # 47-43026k06 or q06. NOTE: when changing the impeller on an Alpha 1 Gen II drive the gear oil needs to be drained out first.

Also highly recommend replacing your exhaust flappers - they're probably shot. Mercury/Quicksilver parts last the longest in my experience. The kits I've listed above is the most cost effective way to repair. On many parts there is only the Quicksilver version.

Just did this on my 1930, the prices vary greatly. There are two places I found that are great for the bellows and everything else, one is near me in Louisiana and the other is in Texas. I found the one in Texas on eBay, if you want, I'll dig up the names or you can take a look at eBay, you'll see what I mean.