Jump to content

Need HELP... Electrical Issues on 2002 183ss

Recommended Posts

I have a 2002 183ss with a Merc 4.3

Yesterday i has spring fever and went out and installed a new radio in my boat. After installing it was dark out but i needed to try it out. Like i said it was dark out and i was rushing, I threw the battery in proceeded to connect the battery cables. I put the negative wire on what i thought was the negative terminal but was really the positive terminal. Still not realizing what i did, i went to attach the positive cable and one it touched the negative battery terminal it sparked almost the same as if you tapped 2 jumper cables together. I saw what i did and fixed it. Now i went to turn the ignition and nothing happens. The horn,bilge,lights and everything work but the ignition wont turn on or attempt to start.

Do you guys think i fried the computer or just popped a fuse or breaker.

I looked under the dash and i can only find the breakers for the horn and accessories.

Is there a main fuse or breaker for the boat ignition or motor? Do you guys think i fried the computer?

Please HELP!!! Any info is appreciated. I learned my lesson to call it quits once the sun goes down

Patiently Waiting,


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on the circuit breaker located on the motor, (mine is up near the air cleaner and is black with red breaker button about the size of a dime).

Also would check the breakers under the helm/ steering wheel. (may be different location on your boat).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard of the before and the alternator died. When you get the engine started, check to see if your getting a charge voltage at the battery. Hopefully, nothing went south!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Sheps right. I dropped a wrench once and it hit the hot connection to the alternator and the block at the same time. What are the odds of that!! I just remember seeing a spark, then had nothing when I tried to start it. Looked at the electrical diagram, traced it back to the fuse, so I pulled it. Checked it for continuity, sure enough, it was blown. Easy fix.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...