Sign in to follow this  
hboggio

2008 256 SSX - Losing Power Steering Fluid

I have a 2008 256 SSX. I recently had to replace the belt and alternator on my Volvo Penta engine. During that process I noticed that my power steering fluid was low. I filled the power steering well and took the boat out for a couple of hours. During that time about 80% of the power steering fluid in the well was gone. There is clearly a lead somewhere, but I have not been able to locate where the leak is. Before I take the boat in for service I wanted to post this topic to see what feedback might be available.

If it is in fact leaking, the leak must be somewhere in engine compartment area. All power steering system components and hoses are within the compartment. One exception being a leak inside the heat exchanger (power steering cooler) that could route the fluid to the outside with the exhaust water.

Have you noticed any oil sheen in water around the drive/boat?

Problem is the steering damper on the upper back rear of your engine. I have the same issue but not as much of a leak than yours. My mechanic told me it was common in many of the '08s and I expect some other years also. Take a rag and wipe the underside of the steering unit mounted to the upper left rear of the engine and you will find the source of the leak. Please let me know the outcome of the repair if you have yours replaced soon.

Rod

My mechanic told me it was common in many of the '08s and I expect some other years also. Take a rag and wipe the underside of the steering unit mounted to the upper left rear of the engine and you will find the source of the leak.

I had a few drops there under the unit after winter storage. Clearly visible on the floor ... worth double checking.

Can't imagine bleeding most of the container and not seeing the fluid on the floor or in the bilge.

Richard, you are correct. I first noticed the buildup of the fluid in the bilge and took awhile to find the source as its only leaked out about 8-10 ounces in 4 yrs. Was relieved to find out it wasn't an engine oil leak.