Fishfinder in my H2O by trolling motor.

You determine the trolling motor that moves you fast enough first.

Next if you want enough battery power for how many hours on highest speed of continous use.

Then You call a company like Minn Kota for advice. A bow mounting plate is ALMOST MANDATORY when moving Chaparrals in wind & currents.

A pulling bow motor steers the best. The stern drive acts as a keel & rudder then.

You may need to modify the provided bow mounts as bow riders have no flat surfaces to mount to. We did 2 S S plates with closed cell rubber sheets from www.mcmaster-carr.com Will go & check that address. We made a carved wood block from Pressure Treated wood. You wll need to be able to reach under the bow area to install load spreading plates with S S nuts welded to them. He went with a HUGE saltwater rig with a very long shaft.

Minn Kota was fantastic on guiding us thru doing the setup. Good company. Fantastic guy. I never could question his guidence.

1 boat has a big Honda generator in the engine area. We put a Aluminized fiberglass blanket over the generator to protect it from the engine heat radiating on it. 10 years ago. No problems. We are still picking up Aluminum cans on roads to pay off the bill. :)

It trolled just like a Ranger bass boat.

Another person just did a temporary setup. Flip open the anchor locker. Place the board with the standard bowmount on it across the opening. Place the anchoring board INSIDE the locker. Spin the LOONG wingbolts till tight.

Lots of ways to get the job done.

My boat is a fish and ski model and came with a trolling motor already mounted. I was trying to find a power source besides the trolling motor itself to power the additional depth finder. I didn't know if any other H2O owners had any experience with this.

Are you saying you want to power it with a none battery power supply ? Be able to run with no battery use for it ?

You are powering it with a battery now. A seperate one that runs down quickly. Or running down your main starting battery ?

Sorry for confusion. The current fish finder was installed by factory to the battery for the boat. I wanting to install another one and I'm not sure where to actually hook it up at in the front of the boat. I don't have much experience with wiring but if someone told me where to hook it up at I could. I guess would I just run it back to the trolling motor battery instead of having two of them pulling the main battery? I would've to just splice into the trolling motor plug in at the front of the bow?

Doesn't your chap come with a 12v motorguide? If so I would just test the pin out for the trolling motor to check polarity, then t-off of those wires and install a power receptacle for your finder into the fiberglass beside your troll motor receptacle.

Yes 12v. Since I will be mounting the finder on the bow next to the trolling motor mount I was thinking about just running the wires down and over to the receptacle plug in for the motor. That why the wires would not be exposed?

Yes 12v. Since I will be mounting the finder on the bow next to the trolling motor mount I was thinking about just running the wires down and over to the receptacle plug in for the motor. That why the wires would not be exposed?

I don't see any problem with this, other than when you unplug the back of your finder you have the harness exposed?The other route you could go is install another receptacle such as this and make your own harness out of extension cord, then you could add any 12v accessory you want by simply installing an appropriate end on it

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=92903&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50566&classNum=50570

its a pain but don't connect it to the same batt as the trolling motor, it adds surges and when the voltage gets to low it does funny things to it.most people get a female multi stack connector and connect both units on the same accessory circuit, just make sure to use seperate in line fuses that came with the units.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/3M-MaleFemale-MultiStack-Disconnect-2JMD1?Pid=search

Great ideas all. I just wander how much draw there is to my cranking battery running two fish finders the last I want to do is to kill my cranking batt. The way I look at it is, if my trolling battery is going dead I won't be fishing anymore anyway and wouldn't need my finder up at the bow anyway.

fish finders have very little voltage draw, most have a setting that tell you the battery voltage, if you hook it up to your deep cycle battery for the trolling motor it will be ruined, trashed, wont last

its not made to take the voltage surges,

A deep cycle battery IS MADE for heavy current surges. A standard car battery is NOT MADE for repeated surges without a running alternator to constantly replace used power.

Call any battery company. Golf carts on hilly courses have the most battery damaging duty possible. ALL are always deep cycle batteries. There are no exceptions to that rule.

I can speak from personal experience that wiring your fishfinder to the same battery as the trolling motor works fine and will not damage anything.

But... as others have mentioned, when that battery is getting low and you are using your trolling motor you will get sporadic response and issues with your fishfinder. It is best to keep your trolling motor on its own battery.

Running power from the bow back to the main battery or batteries is not thw worse job ever :) Wires arleady are run from the bow to there so can be done and really its not too bad to do on most boats.

The other option you have is upgrading your current fishfinder to allow it to be networked and have two displays and just put the second display up front. Not sure if the standard one in the H20 FS models allows for this or not.

I set the low battery alarm in my fish finder.

The fish finder acting up is a VERY GOOD thing...........It is trying to tell you to.... WATCH OUT !!

I would DEFINATELY put the complaining F F on the main engine starting battery. It is perfect as a warning device.