Just bought a 2012 19 H2O!

Well I had a post here earlier about a 2013 19 H2O I was considering buying, I think it was deleted because it discussed pricing. Well while I was debating whether or not to finance it, someone traded in their 2012 19 H2O with only 10 hours on it. I got a much better deal on the lightly used 2012 and I'm super happy about it.

Only differences I see is that the 4.3 six cyl in only 190HP and carbureted, vs the 220HP from the 2013 fuel injected motors. Hopefully this won't be an issue. I imagine a carbureted boat has similar performance and is easier to winterize, maybe other H2O owners can comment on that.

The other difference I saw was the fold over hinged access piece on the starboard size isn't there. That sucks, alas I can certainly live without it.

Are there any other differences I might notice? Anything I should know as a new owner of this boat?

Thanks!

Well I had a post here earlier about a 2013 19 H2O I was considering buying, I think it was deleted because it discussed pricing. Well while I was debating whether or not to finance nearly for it, someone traded in their 2012 19 H2O with only 10 hours on it. I got a much better deal on the lightly used 2012 and I'm super happy about it.

Only differences I see is that the 4.3 six cyl in only 190HP and carbureted, vs the 220HP from the 2013 fuel injected motors. Hopefully this won't be an issue. I imagine a carbureted boat has similar performance and is easier to winterize, maybe other H2O owners can comment on that.

The other difference I saw was the fold over hinged access piece on the starboard size isn't there. That sucks, alas I can certainly live without it.

Are there any other differences I might notice? Anything I should know as a new owner of this boat?

Thanks!

Hi There.... one difference you may notice, the 190 from 2012 does not likely have a remote oil change kit where the 2013 220 hp I think does have it. A bit difficult to get to oil filter in the 2012,.. can be done, we have, but not fun. That being siad, I think Chaparral will consider providing the kit to you complimentary if you pay to install it. Seems fair.

The 2012 trailer did not come standard with brakes, which I would recommend you have on the trailer, perhaps this one you have does have the optional trailer brakes. We have the 190 HP,.. plenty of power for that size and weight of boat... we love it !

Congrats to you.... hope you enjoy it.

Gary

Hi There.... one difference you may notice, the 190 from 2012 does not likely have a remote oil change kit where the 2013 220 hp I think does have it. A bit difficult to get to oil filter in the 2012,.. can be done, we have, but not fun. That being siad, I think Chaparral will consider providing the kit to you complimentary if you pay to install it. Seems fair.

The 2012 trailer did not come standard with brakes, which I would recommend you have on the trailer, perhaps this one you have does have the optional trailer brakes. We have the 190 HP,.. plenty of power for that size and weight of boat... we love it !

Congrats to you.... hope you enjoy it.

Gary

Yes it actually did come with disc brakes I'm happy to say. Should I call Chaparral regarding the remote oil change kit or wait until it's due one.

Thanks!

Yes it actually did come with disc brakes I'm happy to say. Should I call Chaparral regarding the remote oil change kit or wait until it's due one.

Thanks!

Hi ...... good for you , the trailer has brakes, you will like that,... I live up in the mountain areas, so to me, its a blessing.

I would call Chaparral sooner than later regarding the oil change kit, .... I think they are feeling a bit sympathetic for those with this engine for 2012,... they may change thier mind, so .... I would contact them as soon as you can.

What color did you get ?... the flip up seats are also a good option to have as well as the convenience package.

Gary

It seem to me that all of you own an H2O. That make me more confident about my choice. Next Friday April 26 at 2 PM, I will get my first training on the water with red H2O. I can not wait.

Chacephi, H2O

no reason why should should not love this boat....ours is red as well, so should be pretty identical then. You should be a bit excited, like you seem to be.... good for you ! .... I have not heard of any unhappy H20 customers yet,... probably because its good value with the typical Chaparral quality that you would expect to see on the larger boats that Chaparral makes. I think they are prepping us for future upgrades like a SSI series !

Your dealer probably goes through a checklist withyou next week,... make sure you check all dash guages as well... ask him about what is expected for the first 20 hour break in period regarding max.. rpm,s etc.

Is this your first boat ?

Gary

I have a red 2013 H2O and love it. I have 5 hours now and have not had it above 3200 Rpms or about 41mph. I have varied the throttle and have me not used a drop of oil or gear oil.

... boy .. your boat looks familiar.. !!.. we have a 2012 model, looks like you are breaking it in well !

Cheers !

Thanks everyone. It seems it's red just like everyone else's lol. I went to sign the papers today and there was another guy looking at it. The salesman said he wasn't the first interested party of the day. (I agreed to buy it yesterday) I'm storing it at a marina just 3 miles from home where they keep the boats indoor on racks in this big multi-level hanger thingamajig. You call and tell them you want your boat and they launch it for you with this gigantic forklift looking machine and tie it up for you. When you're done they put it back on the rack. Right now it's sitting on the rack about 50 feet in the air. Tomorrow is a 100% chance of rain but I'll go down Saturday to go for a ride and I'll get some pics for you then.

@chetcpo, congrats on the boat. I had a 4.3 MPI/AlphaOne on a 20'6" bowrider of "another brand". We loved it - the fuel efficiency is great and for "average use" I.e. knee/wake boarding, pleasure cruising, etc you should be in good shape with the 190 hp. I had mine propped for top speed, which was not so hot for the aforementioned activities. If top speed is not important to you but water sports for the kids and/or friends is, I would consider going with a 4 blade prop to get best hole shot and low- to mid-speed handling. I doubt at that range anyone would notice much difference between the carbureted 190 and the 220 MPI unles you cram 9 fat adults (like me) on it. I also did not have a wake tower own that boat, which required every spare hp we could muster to get me up on a slalom ski. If your H2O has a tower, the difference between 190 and 220 is less critical, IMHO.

My only concern about carbureted engines is potential for backfire through the carb and risking an engine compartment fire. Get religion about your engine blower to help prevent this.

@chetcpo, IMO good move on the dry racking also. We dry racked our 20 footer for 5 seasons, mainly so my wife could have the convenience of having the marina guys splash the boat for her while I'm on out of town travel. Some months were hard to write the check for storage but when I sold it last year the new owners could not believe how great the boat finish was after 5 years. I washed it typically 3 times a season and dewinterization always involved a fresh waxing (I like Mother's) and treatment of interior vinyl with Star Brite each year. Part of the benefit of dry racking was free access to the marina's work racks for this activity. I'm fairly certain it brought an additional to my sale price. Unfortunately, they can't accommodate boats the size of my 246 :-( Like you, I just got a great deal on a used '12 with low (actually 0) hours, but that's another story.....

Congrats!!! Glad to hear it worked out. TKS is every bit as reliable and should provide you many seasons of fun without worry- nothing to second guess, especially given the fact that you didn't have TKS or MPI to choose from.

Those of us stuck in "impatiently waiting for spring" mode, we are very jealous of those getting on the water so soon!

Post some pics when you can. Welcome aboard.

My truck wiring hitch equipped with 4 pole flat connectors ( left turn signal, right turn signal, running light and brake light) ( 1 female and 3 males). The trailer for the H2O come with 5 pole flat connectors including 1 for the trailer braking system ( 1 female and 4 males). I live in Long Island and don't expect to use it on any hill, therefore do I really need the braking system? As I suppose to pick up my boat this coming Friday, would I be able to connect the 4 poles in the 5 poles and leave the braking pole on the side? I suppose having brake on a trailer is a PLUS, but can I manage without it? For those who don't have braking system in the trailer, how do you feel about that? Please waiting your feedback.

My regards,

Chacephi H2O

My truck wiring hitch equipped with 4 pole flat connectors ( left turn signal, right turn signal, running light and brake light) ( 1 female and 3 males). The trailer for the H2O come with 5 pole flat connectors including 1 for the trailer braking system ( 1 female and 4 males). I live in Long Island and don't expect to use it on any hill, therefore do I really need the braking system? As I suppose to pick up my boat this coming Friday, would I be able to connect the 4 poles in the 5 poles and leave the braking pole on the side? I suppose having brake on a trailer is a PLUS, but can I manage without it? For those who don't have braking system in the trailer, how do you feel about that? Please waiting your feedback. My regards, Chacephi H2O

Hi ... we had the same issue, you can buy an adapter to fit the trailer 5 poles to a 4 pole for the tow vehicle.. i did, no problem. You may not use the brakes much in your area, but they sure come in handy. If your trailer has brakes, go to your truck dealership and buy the adpater , and then everything works fine. Don't think it makes any difference your make of truck. Let me know how you make out with that.

Gary

If you have trailer surge brakes then you must use them. The reason being, when you back the boat up the trailer brakes will engage unless you have the 5 pin adapter connected. The fifth pin detects when your in reverse and will disengage the surge brake system. I learned that when I first used mine.

As Ripley629 said, the surge brakes will always be there and active when you stop even with all pins unplugged because it works off forward hydraulic pressure. The fourth male pen is for the reverse actuator to disengage the brakes so you can move in reverse. The little piece of Ship metal insert provided just falls out (get a large magnet to put over it and it will stay) so you can reverse without the pin hooked up. Your dealer should have the adapter, they know it isn't common. It ran me about 15 deer at my dealer and I haven't seen it anywhere else. You could also get out of your truck and plug the last male pin (break pin) in the brown wire hole on the truck side and turn on your running lights and that will disengage your breaks. All this being said pay the 15 deer and forget about it.