Sign in to follow this  
TJY99

New 264 Sunesta build delayed - Anyone else?

We have been notified that our new boat will be delay due to the arch manufacturer being unable to provide our arch in a timely fashion. Before we placed the order the first week of March, I had our salesperson check to make sure we would have our boat before our summer boating season. The response I got was that there would not be a problem meeting a 2 month order time - putting the boat in our hands no later than the middle of May. This date jived with our plan to break in the new engine over Memorial Day weekend. But it's not to be so.

We were called by the area rep last week letting us know that we could anticipate a delivery of June 7/8. This delivery date kind of really screws up our summer. We leave for vacation 6/6 for two weeks, and the hopes were that when we returned, the boat would be broke in, serviced and ready for the summer guests. That was the reason we went with the boat this year. Between the break in period, trailering the boat back to the dealer 4 hours away, then back to the lake... well you can see the problems with a short boating season here in Montana.

I also did receive a call from a Chaparral VP (a very pleasant person) who explained the whole missed delivery date. She stated that the arch manufacturer was behind on orders and basically told Chaparral that if they wanted the arches faster, they would have to fork over more dough so they could up production with additional shifts. She said she would do everything in her powers to get us the boat faster than the 6/7 date. I'm hoping that it gets delivered 5/30 at the latest, but currently it's scheduled to come off the line 5/30.

I was offered couple bits of Chaparral swag for our troubles by the area rep, and a token credit on our order from the VP. While I can appreciate the personal calls and the situation, the entire family is a bit disappointed.

We are still so looking forward to the new boat. However, you guys don't make it any easier posting about your launching! It's literally killing me.

Don't let that get you down. Missing one weekend while a bummer shouldn't ruin your summer. Breaking it in doesn't mean you can't have fun. Really it just means to take it easy on the throttles and wait before going wide open. You can still have passengers go tubing etc. the key to the 20 hr inspection is just getting the oil changed to syn. Maybe get your dealer to come to you as part of the deal to perform the service and use that to make up for the delay.

Good luck

TJY99- man I'm sorry to hear that, you know the saying "the best laid plans......". Looking at the big picture, this only will be a blip on your radar by the time summer has come and gone. You've got a beautiful boat coming that will give you years of family enjoyment.

Congrats on the new ride, June will be here before you know it.........

Sorry to hear that - but - in the big scheme of things this is a problem that most people would love to have. boat sounds awesome - post pics when you get it on the water.

delaney - great suggestion:

Maybe get your dealer to come to you as part of the deal to perform the service and use that to make up for the delay.

Man I feel your pain......Short season no boat, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait......

Maybe get your dealer to come to you as part of the deal to perform the service and use that to make up for the delay.

I really like this idea....

Thanks to you all for the support.

I like the idea of having the dealer come up to service the boat, but to be honest, I don't think they'll go for it. However, they do have a branch dealership only about 30 minutes away, but it's sooooo tiny. This boat wouldn't fit into their service bay, but maybe they can service it outside. I'll bet that they've never had a boat this big there, given the saleman has shared that ours is the second largest boat they've sold - the first being the dealship owner's Chaparral. I'll discuss with them as the delivery date gets closer.

I'll be sure to post a bunch of pictures once we have it in our hot little hands.

I am suprised that no one else has commented about their boat build being delayed. The area rep said that Chaparral was having to make lots of calls apologizing for the forthcoming delays associated with the arches.

The bottom line is we just can't wait for it to get here. It's going to be an incredible experience!

That stinks but I must say, I'm very impressed that the VP called you. That's great customer service and I doubt you'd get that from other manufacturers. I'm a manufacturing engineer so I know exactly the predicament that Chap is in with the Arches. A common problem but it's good that they are busy! Hopefully you'll get it when you want and it'll be worth the wait!

Good luck but if you are at all mechanical I would do the 20 hour maint. yourself. I broke in my boat last year and checked and changed fluids at 20 hours. took about 1 hr. get yourself a good oil extractor hand pump so you can do it from the fill line. your engine is a Volvo so any impeller changes down the road is just a few screws to remove the housing and the oil filters are drop it type. make a list of items that "go wrong" this summer and have them fix it when you winterize. I hate to break the news this way but after delivery you WILL find a few items that need TLC. you would think not but in your case they are making efforts to "push" your boat through the production line. when you rush mistakes happen not to scare you but there probably isn't a single person on this forum with a new boat that did not have any call out type of issues, most of the time you can take care of them yourself such as a loose screw or wire.

Tubing, skiing, wakeboarding are the perfect way to break it in. No WOT, stay under 3500 RPM and you change your RPM's constantly. Lots of fun. And I agree do the 20 hour yourself. Doesn't take much and you get to know your boat better this way.

Hello,

I would like to know of any problems you have after it shows up. My boat arrived in Dec. and all the problems didn't get fixed till about a week ago. Arch had to be replaced one sent on boat was missing a lot of clear coat, seats were replaced, mercrusier computer was replaced, lens was all scratch up. Door handle fell of the door for the bathroom. Water would not cut off on the sink. And gel coat had issues. And these were the bigger problems.. If it was not for my dealer I would of sent it back... Just make sure you go over it before accepting it.

Randall

Oh, dear.......... I've been in this situation so many times (not with Chaparral but with swimming pools, cars, houses, etc). Most times, the promised date was never met. I just hope you get your boat on time but you may be SOL for this boating season. You might want to consider this a breach of contract and demand a refund.

Good luck but if you are at all mechanical I would do the 20 hour maint. yourself.

Well, I haven't been able to find the blinker fluid or the muffler bearings in ANY of my cars, so I doubt that I would be able to change the oil myself. When I do any bit of mechanicing, I'm more than likely to break whatever I'm trying to fix. I'm not willing to even touch anything on this new boat.

I would like to know of any problems you have after it shows up. My boat arrived in Dec. and all the problems didn't get fixed till about a week ago. Arch had to be replaced one sent on boat was missing a lot of clear coat, seats were replaced, mercrusier computer was replaced, lens was all scratch up. Door handle fell of the door for the bathroom. Water would not cut off on the sink. And gel coat had issues. And these were the bigger problems.. If it was not for my dealer I would of sent it back... Just make sure you go over it before accepting it.

Randall

Randall, I did read about your experience and WOW, I can't belive that all of that stuff happened. QC failed big time. I guess all I can do is hope for the best. But I will mention to the dealership that they should go over the boat with a fine toothed comb before I even see the boat for the first time while I'm on vacation and hopefully any minor issues will be resolved before I'm even aware of them.

Oh, dear.......... I've been in this situation so many times (not with Chaparral but with swimming pools, cars, houses, etc). Most times, the promised date was never met. I just hope you get your boat on time but you may be SOL for this boating season. You might want to consider this a breach of contract and demand a refund.

I've had my fair share of missed deadlines too. The dealership is more than willing to accommodate canceling the order (and it's funny that the Chap area rep. was practically encouraging me to cancel). The problem then becomes I'm boatless with limited options. The dealership is awesome and was the reason for the personal contact from Chaparral. They didn't want to be the one who delivered the bad news to me and wanted Chap to explain the situation to me personally. I guess all I can do is wait and see.

Sorry to hear that, TJ. I ordered our 244 mid Feb and the local dealer told me no problems getting it made by mid Spring. And they were right. The boat made it to Canada (where I live) first week of April! I could have picked it up 2-3 weeks ago, but the weather has been crap so we chose May 4th for delivery. We did not order that overpriced tower though, so maybe that was the difference. They built and shipped out our boat in less than 2 months...

My 264 Extreme had very few issues. Now, I have had issues with past boats including some of what you have described above. I am willing to bet at least 20 percent of new arches have paint flaws. Good luck with it all. I guess the good news is most of it is resolved before the season. Still frustrating.

I ordered my Sunesta 264 on March 1st and just got it May 31st. So far so good!!!!!