Engine will not turn over, battery tested good

I own a '95 Chaparral 1930 SS Sport. Boat was winterized at the end of last season, now the first time I put it in the water it will not turn over. Took the battery to an auto parts store and it tested good.

When I try and start, it makes one click and will not turn over the engine. Is there any way to test the starter or see if the engine is seized up?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Does the starter operate or is it just the relay clicking. You could pull all the spark plugs and try cranking it but I would turn the engine with a wrench first if you think it's seized. Perhaps one of the cylinders is filled with water. I've turned a v8 with just my hands by pulling on the belts and pulleys, could be done if you don't have the appropriate tools.

Try tapping on the starter solenoid while someone else holds the key. It may be sticking. Use the handle of a large screwdriver or a small ball pean type hammer. Just a tap, If the boat was winterized it was probably fogged while runnng on muffs. I don't think it would have ingested water.

Like one fine gentleman said, first try to turn your engine over by hand, honestly I wouldn't even pull the plugs out. You will be able to overcome the compression. Make sure you get a full revolution. If not then you may have mucho problems.

But probably the starter or bad connections!

No big deal!

And hello fello 1930ss owner!!!!!!! I've done all kinds of stuff to mine. So if I can help you ill do my best!

Thank you all for your replies, it is greatly appreciated!

I tried the tapping trick and it did not work. The kill switch is in the run position, it was in the off position at one point the other day, but I switched and still had the same issues.

I do have and know how to use a voltmeter, but I looked at the link gl115 posted and I'll let the experts test that. I also do not feel comfortable pulling plugs or cranking manually.

I will check the ground connection and see what I find out before my appointment with the mechanic later this week.

Entee I'm hoping that it's as easy as a bad starter or connections! We just got the boat at then end of last summer and it only has 342 hours on it, ready to put it in the water.

Thanks again.

check your grounds to the battery. Clean them make sure they are properly attached.

Back to basics, as in the above post. Also check the POS cables too. You may have a cable going bad, more if you have copper cables rather than tinned cables. The copper cables turn green inside and do not let enough current though.

Hope you got it figured out. Its not that hard to turn the motor over by grabbing the belts. You really cant get hurt or damage anything and if it does turn you should be ok. I had an issue with that one year on the first start up of the season because of winterize issues. Good luck......

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I just picked up the boat from the mechanic today. There was water in the 6 cyl, he was able to drain, fog and fire it up, all is good (luckily). Spark plugs replaced (original from '95), outdrive serviced and water separator replaced.

Ready for boatin' season here in KC, just had snow on May 2nd!!!

• 7 years later...

In my opinion, you must have the basic tools regarding the boats so you can diagnose the issues. The automotive multimeter is one of them which helps to diagnose the electric problem easily and quickly. And it is easily available in the markets at an affordable cost. But the question is which is the best multimeter available in the market for your vehicle or boat. So I provide you the details where you can easily compare the best multimeters in the market, for this you can visit https://handtoolsforfun.com/top-5-best-multimeters-for-diy-electronics-and-repairs to compare and know more about the multimeters.