Simcar

Fresh water smells bad!

16 posts in this topic

Delighted with our new 270 but the fresh water smells rather bad despite adding a locally produced chlorine tablet normally used for swimming pools with appropriate adjustment of dose. Any suggestions will be gratefully received. Simon

you need to flush the system a few times. here is what I have done and seems to work.

1. run the bad water until the tank is empty.

2. run the hose and open all faucets in the boat - that will flush most of the residual bad water out. run for 10-15 min.

3. close the faucets and fill the tank 1/2

4. add bleach 1/2 cup - then run your faucet until a bleach odor comes out.

5. close faucets - fill tank all the way with fresh water

6. add a bit more bleach and let sit for a few hours - take the boat for ride to have the water slosh around

7. drain the water completely

8. repeat step 2 to remove all the bleach water

9. fill with fresh water - add a bleach tablet your done and the water is good.

10. if you don't use your water on a regular basis plan on at least replacing it every few weeks to keep it from spoiling

We have a chemist in the group. He just connects the system in a circle to keep the water moving constantly & the Bleach killing everything, everywhere.

I am very grateful for all the replies but what worries me whether the bleach could damage the holding tank, tubing or taps (faucets to you Americans!). I also wonder if anyone knows if the bad eggs causing the bad egg smell are from harmful bacteria (I am an MD and should know but I don't). Simon

Rotten eggs is almost always high Sulpher mineral content.

You do have a / 2 problems.

A Sulpher filter to remove the Sulpher. Or a source of no stink water ?? Definately go with no stink water. See if you can get your water from a local city system. Remember to drain the City jugs & store upside down to stop mold growths.

Then you still need to use bleach / Chlorine to kill all the other biology growing in the boat. Which does set up house in the filter

Warm / hot summer temperatures can get bacteria / slime going in a hurry.

Get a pool PH & Chlorine testing kit to check water quality.

Lots of words. Actually after a few times you can do it very quickly.

I am very grateful for all the replies but what worries me whether the bleach could damage the holding tank, tubing or taps (faucets to you Americans!). I also wonder if anyone knows if the bad eggs causing the bad egg smell are from harmful bacteria (I am an MD and should know but I don't). Simon

What causes the smell is sulfur bacteria. Sulfur bacteria is not harmfull, but they do produce a slime and can promote the growth of other bacteria. I wouldn't take a chance and drink it.

The Camco Taste pure fresh tabs are not bleach and I have found that they do not effect the water system parts. Bleach can be used, but would not use the type that has other things added, just plain sodium hypochlorite. Mix at a 15% solution to clean the system, rinse well, and then you can use up to a 12% solution which is what is used by many city water systems. Make sure of the concentration of sodium hypochlorite in the bleach you get.

Nothing will keep the water fresh if it sits for long periods. You have the cycle the water and keep it fresh to prevent the smell from coming back.

I agree with the posts above for maintaining a fresh water tank, but once your water goes sour you need to completely clean the lines from any ongoing growth or the problem will not go away. Flushing the system with a mixture of bleach and water to "shock" the system will kill what is growing and then flush it completely out. The mixture of bleach and water in your tank and lines for such a short time will not harm any components. whether you flush the lines or just replace the water and add the tabs, I would not call it potable water

I had a problem where I had no smell, but slime kept clogging the faucet screens. I did the bleach solution followed by flushing with screens removed. When you do the flush, be sure to leave the pump on & pressurized for a few hours so the hoses are cleaned. System has been great ever since.

I did everything that Delaney advised except for the sloshing about bit as the marina entrance was temporarily closed so we had to jump around instead! The local commercial bleach is only 3% so I used a bit more than suggested. So far all is well with no bad smell and the boat has not disolved. Hope this keeps up. I suggested we shower daily whenever we are on board to use the water more rapidly but my wife refuses so far - she prefers club house showers. Thanks to you all.

OK. New wrinkle to this old thread. I only have a sulfur smell when the water runs through my hot water heater. Even when I'm hooked up to city water (which tastes fine) I run cold only and it's great. As soon as I move the faucet over to the hot side, I get sulfur. Any ideas here? It's obviously not a water tank issue in my case.

I guess your sulphus producing bugs must be living in the water heater itself. My problem is now virtually gone after doing the full clean out recommended by Delaney and then using a locally produced chlorine tablet made for swimming pools with a rough calculation of appropriate dose. Simon