Rip5

Chaparral Jet Boats

67 posts in this topic

Hi all, new hear and have been considering a used 204 Chap, but saw Chap will be making Jet Boats later this year, and

might wait for one of those. Should be nice boats with "Sea Doo" power.

Chaparral Boats, Inc. announces entrance into the jet boat market

Chaparral Boats Inc.
April 29, 2013
Filed under News

Nashville, GA - Chaparral Boats, Inc. announced a supply agreement today with Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) to power a planned new line of jet boats, slated for introduction later this year.

“BRP is excited to begin this relationship with Chaparral Boats, a company with a proud heritage, excellent reputation and one that shares our commitment to the marine industry,” said Alain Villemure, Vice President and General Manager of BRP’s Marine Propulsion System division.

“BRP’s Rotax 4-TEC in-board jet propulsion system is a proven power source and the perfect complement to Chaparral’s award-winning line-up of boats. We believe that this strategic relationship promises to deliver consumers a best-in-class boating experience that’s supported by an outstanding dealer network.”

There goes the peacefull dock times.

Here comes the cause of the boats to bounce around in their slips on the weekends

Canadian jets are O K. Been there & liked their respect for others.

Pesky Canadians! And we thought they just were Hockey and Maple Syrup! Now a hybrid Chaparral/Canadian jet boat. What's next??

brick

Seadoo is extremely unreliable. You never see rentals offer sea don'ts. Don't wait. I just sold a jet boat. Impossible to drive straight. The Chap dealer here has 3 Yamahas they took in trade.

Wonder what type of boat they are going to build for the jet drive.

I just rode in a new AR240 Yamaha. Awesome layout but for every hour of runtime involved 15 minutes of pulling weeds out. Horrible boat.

Maybe now you cruiser guys can buy a Rotax powered bow thruster ! :popcorn:

I think the Lewmar is more reliable. :drink-buddy:

Maybe, but you wouldn't turn nearly as fast as you would with a 180 HP Rotax pushing your bow.

We have a name for Jets.

Vacuum cleaners. As Ric in post # 7 pointed out.

We get rid of Jets who raise the devil at night. ........Cut about 50' of any floating dark line. Put it in their play area at full sundown. Dark color is impossible to see.

If they suck the piece in. It melts to the pump parts & when stopped can not be repaired. 1 jet ruined is enough for the noise makers in any area. We never have repeat customers.

The best jet boats used to be the Australians. Watch their Jet Boat Nationals. Those ARE hot stuff.

I'm surprised the Chaparral would get into the jet boat market. They make such a good quality boat already. What kind of market are they trying to "target" with these things? I would think the jet boats would not ride as nice as a prop model boat of it's size. Since the hull will need to be able to get on plane faster and stay there as well. I thought jet boats get terrible gas mileage too?

Be interesting too see what comes out.

They are great if you have to be in very shallow water as we are. But still, I just couldn't take it anymore. Impossible to get on a lift. Just get close, turn it off and pull it straight by hand getting the seaweed out is bad enough but wait until one of the clean out plugs blows out and you get a foot of water in the boat. I am going to struggle getting in and out of the cove I am on but at least it will go where I point it. With HALF the noise. Lastly, they just don't have the HP to push a Chap. My 23 went 48 BUT they only weigh 2900 lbs. that correct, 2900. Which is why it gets slammed around by one foot waves. Bought it last June and was ready to sell by august

Well somebody at Corporate has a great idea, when he sold this plan to management.

Hope he also polished up his(her) resume cause when this is done they'll be looking for work elsewhere. :thththsoapbox2-1:

I'm surprised they're trying that market. I wonder if it will be like the little Boston Whalers that tried jet drives. There's one of those sitting at a charity boat donation lot near me for next to nothing. It's in great shape, and can't sell. My friends who know Whalers say they were awful and not to touch them.

SandMan, I think there are a lot of people around me who think the same way as you did. Our river is about 3 miles of very, very shallow running, with a narrow, winding, unmarked channel that is only a couple feet deep and 10' wide in some areas. If you don't know the exact route through, you'll get stuck. For that reason, probably about a third of the boats around here are jets. My neighbor has a top of the line new Yamaha that looks kind of like a Sunesta 244. It's a pretty boat, annd fast as he!!, but hard to control. They've had it about a year and are finally getting decent at docking. His reason for getting it was the shallow river. On the other hand, there are a couple 30' deep V twin engine off-shore sport boats a little up the river, and they come and go. One is an absolutely beautiful boat that has twin big blocks and bravo3 drives. It's a very expensive looking boat, with custom graphics, arch and fittings and sounds incredible. He does what everyone else here does to get out: Know the water, get up on plane and go for it. When I got my boat, I knew the river was shallow, but I also figured that if he could get out, so could I. The ironic thing is that the two times I've damaged props it was at idle. On plane, I can skim right over the shallows. Some spots are shallow enough at low tide that I need to crank the boat into a hard turn crossing the sandbars just to get the drive sideways and out of the way.

Anyway, I don't see the point in limiting seaworthiness just to make it easier getting in and out of the inlets. To me, the jet boats really just become river and inlet boats, and can't go where most people want to boat.

Tight money times makes bussinesses get panicky. Especially if they have a big yacht on payments.

It you have a good back & kidneys....................They will be toast on some models.

Ever go to a island wedding on your Jet ?

Lets stick to our comfy V hulls.

Sea Ray just introduced their jetboat line, for what it's worth.

Seems like a way to attract more newbies to the brand. Low cost of entry, low cost to maintenance. Most newbies don't have a frame of reference when it comes to boat noise, handling, or ride comfort (I didn't).

My buddy has a Yamaha SX240 and he says my Chap is like a Cadillac to his Miata. I agree. Softer ride, *much* quieter, and more amenities for the size.

Can you see the look on the E R staff as they look at my ejected 50 mph, 75 year old body.

They would start up a betting pool on me. I would buy a ticket if I could move. :)

I am double surprised by Chap getting into jet boats, and by the choice of powerplant. BRP's are horrible when it comes to maintenance ... winterization is like three dozen points to be done compared to Yamaha's less than half a dozen.

Time will tell ... :slap:

I am double surprised by Chap getting into jet boats, and by the choice of powerplant. BRP's are horrible when it comes to maintenance ... winterization is like three dozen points to be done compared to Yamaha's less than half a dozen.

Time will tell ... :slap:

Don't forget about the supercharger maintenance and repairs for the Rotax engines...

My reply I sent back to Chap HQ when I got this email from Chaparral's marketing department:

OMG, please NO!

I remember the early '90's jetboat phase: The SeaRayder's, and myriad other POS little jetboats. Everyone of them was F'n junk IMO. Chap impressed me by staying out of that market back then, and I felt Chap was doing more than just fine with their current full line-up.

Jetboats are our most common trade during the boating season, and the reason is obvious once one talks to the former owners who just moved up into a real boat.

I'm gonna sleep on it and pretend this news never came out. Oh vey...

Jet boats are like printing money. They usually have two engines that require insane dealer only maintenance and are usually broken more often than not from ingesting objects. The worst part is? Easiest boat to sell on the lot to a new boat owner. The "reliability" of twin engines, and the safety of no propeller to chop little Johnny's arm off. Can't sell em fast enough.

That being said, The mid 2000's 12ft Sugar Sand Tango with the 200hp v6 is probably the most fun you'll ever have legally.

I just rode in a new AR240 Yamaha. Awesome layout but for every hour of runtime involved 15 minutes of pulling weeds out. Horrible boat.

Those Yamaha boats are are priced cheap and is the best selling boat. A friend has one and they are cheaply put together. If Chap does this I will be very disappointed and it will come back to bite them.