Rip5

Chaparral Jet Boats

To all who think all jet boats are loud, you have NOT heard the new generation. I am older and would not have a purchased a loud, annoying boat of any kind. They are AS quiet as a V6 EFI sterndrive.

Well drove one this weekend and its way louder than my stern drive ( have driven several others as well) and all have been way louder . Also hard to drive a no wake speeds and this one had after market mods to help it. They do have some advantages like hole shot, but i'm almost 50 years old and could give at $hit about that. winterizing is easier but you still have oil changes ect.

I can do 360's ON AXIS if I want till my passengers barf, manuever WAY better in tight quarters than a sterndrive ever could

That sounds like fun! Way better in tight quarters? I need what you've been drinking. even the boat mag's have said its way worse.

I did not HATE the sterndrive boats I owned, but unless you have tried out one of the newest jet propelled sport boats, dont knock em.

Well like i said was on a 2year old Yamaha jet boat this weekend and didn't care for it at all.

I could go on but this is interrupting my beer drinking

They are efficient to run, easy to maintain, and look #%^$&%$ good.

Just wait until you have to do the supercharger maintenance... or worse, repair.

Well I use an American Turbine water jet on a Ford 351 bolted in an Alumaweld boat for work. I boat approx 3/4 of the year in the dark so the jet was the way to go. maintenance is non existent but they do like fuel.....lots of fuel. Jets are good for specific applications.

Well Yamaha Jet Boats are not the No. 1 selling boat (16' - 25', which makes up of 90% of all boats sold each year) in the world because their crap. And the fact that Chaparral, Scarab, Sea Ray, and other manufactures are looking into building jet boats only has validated what Yamaha has been doing all along.

I also get the fact that a lot of members here have boats above 25' and that jet boat technology has not come far enough to work yet, but for anything under 25' it's hard to argue with the numbers No. 1 Boat Sold in the WORLD in their category, which includes Chaparral.

I've got a twin engine 2008 Seadoo speedster 200, and it has been a great boat for us. Super easy to drive around docks, once you get used to jet drives, fast hole shot, decent top end in the mid 50's, and very easy to winterize. Shallow water is not a concern. Only real issue is if there are weeds or debris in the water where you boat, then jets are not a good choice. Don't miss the sterndrve maintenance, and not having the engines on the back is great for water sports. Will hang on to my boat for many years

I'm coming out of a seadoo jet boat, I loved mine. My only complaint was how noisy it was. Jet boats are a blast. Almost makes me wish I held off on buying my 246... I would go back to a jet boat...

I think Chap would be more successful with a small dual-outboard cruiser like the 370 Venture rather than jet boats. I know I would choose OBs rather than jets.

Here is the new Chap 203 Vortex jet boat.

ab5611efb0637a506ae917fe05d5f471.jpg

The 203 Vortex is the first entry in a three-boat series, which will also soon include the 223 Vortex and 243 Vortex.

I'm coming out of a seadoo jet boat, I loved mine. My only complaint was how noisy it was. Jet boats are a blast. Almost makes me wish I held off on buying my 246... I would go back to a jet boat...

They are a bit noisy, I will agree. It is funny, with my new Meridian inboard boat, I was amazed at how quiet it is compared to the SeaDoo jet boat..

If any Chap members are considering the new jet boats, I would definitely discourage them if they boat in an area with weeds or debris (twigs, etc) in the water, as that is a really big drawback for jet boats. Other than that, they are great. Rotax engines had all kinds of problems with the superchargers, but from about 2010 on those were fixed. My jet boat does not have the superchargers, and it has been super dependable for the past few years. Will be interesting to see how this works for Chaparral.

Looking good ... but it's a jet boat ... ;)

Not compatible with my neighborhood. A neighbor got a SeaDoo two years ago and in both seasons the "sea" got into the guts and it couldn't "doo" anymore. The cleaning was not a DIY job so it ended up at the dealer both times for disassembly and cleaning.