Colleenzg

I may have found my boat! But are the hours too high

27 posts in this topic

Traded an often used Chap 260 several years ago and the dealer had no concern about my hours. He said until they exceed 500 they don't give it a second thought.

You buy a boat/car/motorcycle/etc to use it, not sit in the garage. Can't for the life of me figure out why anyone worries so much about hours/mileage so much these days. This isn't the 1970s. I don't own a vehicle with less than 100k on the clocks (except for my '79 Yamaha XS-650) and never think twice about it and I put on easily 70 hours per summer on my water toys and don't expect to have any major issues for a long time. Maintenance records and a survey are all you need to verify mechanical condition, eyes don't lie when it comes to the visual inspection.

7 year old boat with under 400 hours, unless you live in Alaska, I'd say you're well under average hours used. Boat use or not, it's a modern built marinized V-8.

There's no golden rule on this stuff, but you also don't need to overthink it if your own eyes tell you it's been taken care of and the records/inspection support it.