nkdenton

Battle of the Sexes on the ramp

Ramp Assignments   62 members have voted

1. 1. Who's more comfortable splashing the boat?

• Man backs trailer, woman handles the launch.
    • Woman backs trailer, man handles the launch.
  2. 2. Who's more comfortable driving onto the trailer?

• Man backs trailer, woman drives boat on.
    • Woman backs trailer, man drives boat on.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 posts in this topic

Just wondering if my wife & I are typical or atypical. This is NOT intended to be a statement or sexist, just wondering who's got what job at the ramp!

Well, I would back the trailer down about 80%. Than I get on the boat lower the drive &.......... she backs down about 30' keeping it all straight. My wife will do the winch too and I go off to dock the boat. She will park the truck too. Than I wait for her or others to catch me at the slip.

The same with recovery.

I think my wife are not the norm! My wife is very proficient in backing down the trailer both loading and unloading. I like it because if the ramp line is long, I can enjoy some extra beers while she is waiting in line (of course she then drives us home!).

I do it all. The wife will only park the truck/trailer after I back the boat off. She won't back the trailer down the ramp, nor drive the boat. I have gotten so used to it that I'm very proficient. Usually in/out much faster than the others on the ramp.

Can't answer poll cause we don't do this any more. No trailer.

When had boat on a trailer I would back the boat to the water, get into boat and she would back up till boat came off then pull truck/trailer up so it was out of the way while I docked boat and then returned to park truck and trailer. The exception to this was if there was parking spaces straight ahead so she didn't have to do anything but to pull in then she would park it. Now we just drive over to the dock and carry everything down to the boat and go boating.

Can't answer poll cause we don't do this any more. No trailer.

When had boat on a trailer I would back the boat to the water, get into boat and she would back up till boat came off then pull truck/trailer up so it was out of the way while I docked boat and then returned to park truck and trailer. The exception to this was if there was parking spaces straight ahead so she didn't have to do anything but to pull in then she would park it. Now we just drive over to the dock and carry everything down to the boat and go boating.

+1 on this every little bit helps and she feels she is a major help

The WIFE is in charge of yelling

PMS

See has a lot of practice at this

launching

Plug - in

Motor - Down

Straps - off

Retrieving

Plug - out

Motor - up

Straps - on

I have always believed in letting people do the things that they are best at!!!!

Just wondering if my wife & I are typical or atypical. This is NOT intended to be a statement or sexist, just wondering who's got what job at the ramp!

Our routine:

Launch:

I drive to the ramp - she HATES trailering.

I put in the plug, remove the straps, loosen the winch hook, then get into the boat

She hands up ditty bag, food, dog, etc

She backs down the ramp (and does a fine job) and I handle the launch and wait at the pier while she parks the Suburban and trailer

Recovery:

I drop her at the pier and sit in the lagoon waiting

She brings the Suburban around and backs down the ramp to sink the trailer (often too deep and I have to signal get her to pull back up a bit)

I drive the boat on, tighten the winch (really fun doing this upside down, especially after a few beers), kill the engine and trim up

She pulls up the ramp

I hand off ditty bag, trash, dog, etc

I remove the plug, attach the straps, check the hitch

We both put the bow and cockpit covers on elsewhere in the parking lot after clearing the ramp

I drive us home and she continues to tell me how much she hates trailering and wants to go back to dry racking.....

mama does everything in the boat, i do everything outside the boat.

she stores the supplies, puts up the bimini, turns on the blower, etc

i remove straps, put in plug, drive truck, unhook boat, and push it off.

step daughter is on the dock to pull it over once it clears the trailer.

reverse for loading. I dont power load.

Well, I would back the trailer down about 80%. Than I get on the boat lower the drive &.......... she backs down about 30' keeping it all straight. My wife will do the winch too and I go off to dock the boat. She will park the truck too. Than I wait for her or others to catch me at the slip.

The same with recovery.

About the same here, but I actually would back down to the water's edge first then hand it over to her.

Fiancé almost always backs trailer down and I launch and load, she is awesome at backing and like another said, I get to drink more beer..... :beer-7687-1:

One of my proudest moments last summer was when we were coming off of a lake one evening at a very crowded and narrow ramp, there were two boats to either side with mostly guys manning their duties. There was just enough room to back the trailer down in-between, so she promptly backs straight down right into the middle of the other two trailers and I pull right up and trailer it first try, she jumps out and winches boat and we were outta there. You should have seen the looks on their faces, priceless...... :banana2:

Me and a 50 ft line.

1. Back the boat in the water

2. Push the boat off the trailer

3. Quickly Walk the boat over to the shoreline parking area and tie up.

4. Go park the truck and trailer

5. Walk/run back to boat and drive to our shoreline parking space.

May take longer, but we are still talking to each other.

Me, me, me and me. My wife likes being a passenger and doesn't want to do anything with the boat except enjoying it.

Clayton, maybe it's a West Chester thing because my wife prefers it the same way. Then again, I can only cook with a phone.