prd2hnt

180 Club members... Do you have a bimini top?

If so. Tell me about it. Where did you get it?

The admirial is interested and I don't know much about them. I have looked at Overton's, Bass Pro etc.looking for real life experience.

Thanks.

Brian

I have a 2001 216 but similar boat. Mine came with the boat. Stores under the engine cover/sunpad

boatatslip2011.jpg

sternviewatdock.jpg

Chap216SSitopup.jpg

Biministore2.jpg

Bass Pro, Overton's, and Cabela's are all going to be the same. You choose either a 3 or 4 panel bimini and it will have two post in the middle and 4 nylon straps to secure the corners of the top. I had one of those before and it was a bit flimsy. You might want to find a shop that makes a bimini top for boats and have build you a better one.

If you go with a custome shop you can get it done just like you want and it will have SS support poles and be made wiht beter material. I can not imagine not having a bimini on a boat. Our Texas sun would fry you alive. Now to same money get your wife one of these.

umbrella-hat1.jpg

A must for us, fun on the lake all day when you don't have to keep applying suntan lotion and go home burning all night.

Talk with the canvas folks near you.

It is my wife's favorite part of the boat

Carver makes them. My 2001 186 SSi had an aftermarket Carver bimini on it when I bought it, and it works okay. Plastic fittings don't impress me. First thing I did though was install rear bimini support bars with 2 Chaparral spec'd arms and new style quick-connects for the deck. 2 nylon straps at the front is okay, but I hated the rear 2 straps.

If you buy a Carver bimini, see if you can get the rear support bars installed as an option. As was mentioned above, getting a locally made version will most likely be superior in design and materials.

Try this place, I purchased from here good product and pricing, get Sunbrella material( I feel it's the best) and SS fittings, also get the adjustable support rods like Shep said rear straps are a PIA that way if you are not using it it's in a radar arch position and not in your way.

http://www.anp.ca/specifications-features/bimini-tops-specifications

According to sizing charts you need one that is 85"-90" wide and 36" tall

There are many places wich will make them for you. Go for four arches, not three. Select Sunbrella fabric. I would not recommend getting it from Amerisave. They make good custom fit boat covers, but biminis from them not really good. I don't like mine I've got from them.

Mine was with the boat and is from Taylor Made. Down here in Greece in July and August with temps up to 45C you cannot go without.

My experience with Overton's is they are more expensive than most, so shop them. The bimini on my 246 is from Ameritex, a division of TaylorMade. They seem to be able to fit just about any boat so perhaps go to their website and make an inquiry for your boat.

I forget the bimini is up.. ....I have never worn out one of them.

Price does matter. :)

If so. Tell me about it. Where did you get it?

The admirial is interested and I don't know much about them. I have looked at Overton's, Bass Pro etc.looking for real life experience.

Thanks.

Brian

Brian, I have a 2002 183 ss, I ordered my bimini at the end of the summer last year from boatcoversdirect.com. Its a Caver bimini top and I went with the Sunbrella material and the stainless fittings. I also added the stainless support poles for the rear so it is more sturdy and that way it will free stand when closed. I have not installed yet, should be on in a week or so, I will keep you updated and I can post pics of it once im finished. Below I posted a link to the site for the 183ss top and you could see how the prices go. I personally dont think its a bad price, im also a guy that believes in "you get what you pay for"

http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/products/bimini_tops/CHAPARRAL_108/183_SS_I%7CO_W%7CEXTD_PF_3040/47/

any questions let me know,

mike

Brian, I have a 2002 183 ss, I ordered my bimini at the end of the summer last year from boatcoversdirect.com. Its a Caver bimini top and I went with the Sunbrella material and the stainless fittings. I also added the stainless support poles for the rear so it is more sturdy and that way it will free stand when closed. I have not installed yet, should be on in a week or so, I will keep you updated and I can post pics of it once im finished. Below I posted a link to the site for the 183ss top and you could see how the prices go. I personally dont think its a bad price, im also a guy that believes in "you get what you pay for"

http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/products/bimini_tops/CHAPARRAL_108/183_SS_I%7CO_W%7CEXTD_PF_3040/47/

any questions let me know,

mike

Hey Mike,

How'd the installation go? I am looking to get one of these as well for my 2005 180SSi

let us know what you learned during installation, and share some photos :)

thanks

Bill