246inColorado

Forgotten Straps (interested due to the Forgetten Drain Plug?)

Straps Left On?   54 members have voted

1. 1. Straps Left On?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 posts in this topic

I am so interested on whether people have left their straps on (based on previous post: Forgetten Drain Plug?.

I have done it twice, and I felt like an idiot both times!!

Didn't forget the straps, but did lower the freshly painted bottom (FYI, needs more then 3 hours to dry) back onto the trailer only to have the boat stick to the trailer bunks when I launched it. Had to climb onto the floating boat and trailer then jump on the fender until the trailer broke loose and fell back onto the ramp. Moral of the story: if you own a boat, eventually your going to do something silly and embarrassing.

I am so interested on whether people have left their straps on (based on previous post: Forgetten Drain Plug?.

I have done it twice, and I felt like an idiot both times!!

Nice boat!

This helps me

PMS IN and Out

In the water

Plug - In

Motor-in the water

Straps-in the truck

Out of the water

Plug-out

Motor-out of the water

Straps-out of the truck

Looking back at it all during a boating dinner makes it worthwhile.

I to, belong to a large, exclusive group. That I make a toast to, once a year.

:)

• Did it the other day for the first time. Haven't done the plug yet and don't want to. I few weeks ago, I saw two drunk guys about a mile from the boat ramp, their small Boston Whaler skiff was in the middle of the road. Seems they forgot to put on the strap. Not a pretty sight to see a fiberglass skid mark about 50 feet long on a black asphalt road.

AL

Haven't forgotten straps on, but have forgotten to put them on after recovery. Have left the plug out - with son driving the Suburban all the way back to the parking lot. CG Auxiliary was doing courtesy inspections that day and helped me shout my son back to the ramp. An embarassed relief....

Like someone said, not the straps but the bow eye once. Luckily I had a long strap. The noise was terrible during the unwind.

Just once and it was a really busy ramp and I got flustered by the amount of people sitting along the ramp asking a billion questions about my setup.

Lesson from that day - ignore outside bs while going through the process.

i have a routine i go though every outing. i stop off to the side to prep so i dont blcok the ramp. I put the tailgate down, and mama climbs in. i hand her the vests, chests, etc out of the bed, and she stores them, turns on the blower and puts the bimini up. I remove the straps, install the plug, and put the straps in the truck. I dont undo the bow until im in the water.

I have forgot the saftey chain once, but that was a quick fix and no one noticed. :)

Have done neither yet, but did find out once that the "muffs" are for when the boat is OUT of the water. :slap: It heats up pretty quick when you have the intakes covered.

First time on Friday. New Sunesta, first time off the trailer, couldn't figure out what was wrong - then I went through the checklist in my head... oops.

Well add me to the list.....at the ramp I pulled in behind a brand new 327 chap on a trailer that distracted me from my routine. It was wort it. :)

I forgot the plug with my wife and kids in boat. Son was driving in no wake zone, he know what I had done so he turned on pump and I got in the ice cold water and put in the plug ,,Wife is affraid of water,,,She was not happy !!

Well haven't forgotten the straps or drain plug yet, but did forget the keys ( at home) to the boat after I pushed it off the trailer.

It`s because you dont follow the same plan. Most trailer boaters dont cover their boats so the drain plug is always out

You load all you gear AT HOME ,hook up, check/inspect the lights

Arrive at the ramp, get out of your vehicle and:

attach bow line

attach stern line, remove left strap,install drain plug, remove right strap, continue walking around to the right and inspect that the safety chain is still hooked up and winch secure

enter vehicle and back down ramp to desired water depth,PLACE WHEEL CHOCK, remove safety chain, remove winch cable, launch boat.

So I have not myself personally but when I was buying my 276 I had asked that a mechanics survey be done by the Chap dealer near me, that I can't think of a good thing to say about them, and as the owner and son were launching the boat it wasn't coming off the trailer. Their solution was to go deeper into the launch and "make the boat float" ....anyway I stopped the 2 idiots as the water was above the swim platform and about to enter the boat and asked if anyone had removed the straps. You can guess the rest......

My buddy took delivery of his new Sea Ray last week. He did a sea trial/orientation ride with the dealer at their marina, but he was keeping the boat about an hour away on a nearby lake. I offered to tow his boat to the lake and help him put it in the water. After all, I'm an expert (not really)  and he's a newbie, so of course I wanted to help him out, and share my knowledge.

Since the dealer knew we were heading right to the lake to put the boat in the water, he left the plug in after the initial sea trial. We got to the ramp, I guess since I knew the plug was in, I never even bothered to walk around to the back of the boat. He got in his new boat, I backed the trailer down and he was ready to go.  I'm sitting in my SUV trying to figure out why this newbie can't even back a boat off a trailer.  Let's just say once we realized I'd forgotten about the straps, my credibility as a boating "expert" was severely tarnished!  :rolleyes: