ilockert

1986 chaparral 178xl refrence manuals where to find?

Does anyone know where I can find diagrams or any information for that. I just bought the boat and im have a couple issues that I need to work out. Id like to have some kind of a resource manual to look at while im working on it. At least attempt to fix it myself beofre posting about it on here. The 2 main things I need to fixare:

1. The steering is seems to be stuck in a Left turn, it you turn almost all the way right the boat will go straight as long as you keep is low speed, if you try to open it up it will start riding weird and feeling very unsafe.

2. Throttle control sticks really bad but only while the engine is running, While sitting on the trailer in the yead it shifts perfectlly fine.

DSC_0166-L.jpg

In the picture you notice the little fin above the prop, it was turned a little when I got home so I straighted it up a little and im thinking that may of been part of the problem. Other thing I went to Bass Pro today to look at the Tahoe with the same type of motor and noticed none of them had that little fin.

First of all, welcome to the forum and a special welcome to the unofficial Vintage Chaparral group.

There really are no "official" Chap technical publications dealing with our boats. There are copies of the sales brochures in PDF form here in the Forums Section under the Info Center. For technical issues, I very highly recommend the Clymer manual, specifically the Mercruiser Stern Drive Shop Manual, 1986-1994. This book is very thorough with detailed procedures, troubleshooting ideas and diagrams. There is also another publisher, Seloc, although not as good IMO.

The "little fin" serves two purposes. It is a trim anode. It serves, first, as an anode to help prevent the outdrive against electrolysis and, secondly, it serves as a corrective trim to help offset the directional pull that you are experiencing. If you can remember what its original position was, you should return it to that angle. If you still experience a sideways pull, you can fine tune the angle of the trim anode at your normal operating speed.

Hopefully, this has helped you. Again, welcome and if you have any questions, don't hesitate asking. There's a wealth of knowledge here in our membership, and speaking from personal experience, they are more than willing to share.

Oh, yeah, we does like pictures!! LOL

Happy boating!!

P.S. - Forgot to mention that you can probably get the Clymer manual at your local marine shop or on eBay (probably cheaper there).

Which throttle control do you have? I have the factory manual for the QuickSilver Commander Series which I can share with you. Best bet is to take I picture of what you have and post it so we can be sure we're talking about the same model. It seems Chap used several different models/manufacturers, even within the same boat model.

This is whats in mine. It sticks real bad. I was just going to buy replacement, but not sure if it has to be the same kind or something else.

photo-L.jpg

Sorry, but this is not one of the Mercury QuickSilver models that I have manuals for so I'll have to defer to one of the experts here on the forum.

As for replacing the complete unit, I do know that the two cables (throttle and shifter) have to be ordered by a specific length.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with the correct information.

Don't know if you've already seen this thread but it kinda addresses the cable length issue that I mentioned above.

You might also try contacting Shep as he is one of the more knowledgeable professionals in the group.