Here and Now

Spiders Everywhere....any luck getting them under control?

Hi All,

The marina where we slip our boat on Lake Texoma has sent out an email to see if anyone is interested in buying a system will get rid of spiders. It is approx 800 deer (!) and is a spray system. Our slip is covered and these little buggers come down from the rafters and poop all over the place.....it kills me to clean the boat one weekend and have it a wreck by the time we get back the following weekend. Has anyone had success with these systems?

Thanks.

I have lived with spiders for 10yrs....

My covered docks have so many spiders that from one weekend to the next we are clearing cobwebs just to walk around the boat. :(

I briefly tried the NON-covered dock and guess what - no spiders... yeah because the boat is 160 deg when you go to uncover, I wouldn't want to live there either.

I am currently spraying Ortho Max around the boat (and even inside a little).

I have a solution but its not going to work on my lake... bats (no not baseball but the mice that fly). Every year I go to Dale Hollow lake in TN. They have a lot of bats that we see flying around every night. They eat a LOT of BUGS... hence little to no food for spiders, = low spider population.

I use my mooring cover even under the covered dock to prevent the cleanup of all the spider poop spots.

IMG_0215.jpg

I am in north Alabama and we have spiders every where. I even live 2 miles from a brown bat cave and there is millions come from the cave at dusk. I have used a product called viper for a long time and have good results with it. I mix it in a pump up sprayer and spray 2 or 3 times a year and it helps keep them to a minimum.

We put up with a million of them on our docks on Grand Lake in Oklahoma. Summer before last the Exterminating company that sprays our home told us about a product that is approved around docks. I don't know the name of the product but they spray our docks once a month and the problem is 90 % eradicated. For some reason they neglect to spray the gangway and it is covered with webs first thing every morning.

No. That is the reason I gave up my slip and now store at an indoor storage container. Also determined that we were not dock rats.

I have a solution but its not going to work on my lake... bats (no not baseball but the mice that fly). Every year I go to Dale Hollow lake in TN. They have a lot of bats that we see flying around every night. They eat a LOT of BUGS... hence little to no food for spiders, = low spider population.

So which poop is worse, the spider poop or the Bat poop? Just curious. :drink-buddy:

try

washing down the dock and over head cover with bleach

that kept them away at our dock

Harry

Spider are common problem for covered docks. Been in several marinas over the years and had the darn things in all of them.

Never have completely solved the problem, but a couple of things that have seemed to reduce the number.

A really good coat of wax on the boat does seem to reduce the number. Constant cleaning of the dock and boat. I have also used Home Defense bug spray on the dock which does seem to reduce the number. The problem with spiders is that they don't clean themselves and so they don't ingest the poison. The spray reduces there food supply. We also have crackles that seem to really like to eat spiders.

If there was a good system that killed the things I would probably go for it.

Thank you for all the replies...being from NY this is the first time I've dealt with this. We've got a good coat of wax going and I'll be off to the store to buy some of your suggestions. IndyChap, thanks for the picture - we have the same type of covered slip and I am going to check out prices on a mooring cover...may have to add it to the Christmas wishlist! I'm sure most of you can relate to that great feeling when the boat is in pristine condition...I miss that! But I have to admit, I'd deal with this for the super long boating season that Texas is providing....nothing like a day on the water, even with the unwanted passengers!

They're starting to drive me nuts as well.

I keep my boat on a mooring (Lake Champlain, VT) and I constantly get spider nests in my bimini top. Doesn't matter if it's opened or rolled up with the boot zipped over it.

At first, I mistook the nests as wasp nests as they look very similar!

So I'm browsing around now for remedies. My boat is generally clean -- fresh coat of wax is put on every start of the season. I'm at the point now however that I'm ready to spray the entire perimeter of the haul.

Do some of you veteran boaters have suggestions? I was just reading on eHow that lemon is apparently a deterent?

I use Home Defense outside the summer house, and around deck and dock: http://www.amazon.com/Scotts-0195410-Defense-Insect-1-1-Gallon/dp/B000RUCQVO/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1373689850&sr=1-4&keywords=home+defense

It works well on "my" spiders in Eastern Ontario ... one application last the season. Smells terribly until it dries, and is not too eco friendly. I would not use it on the boat but around the boathouse or under the covered docks ... the eco police might not like this product to be used around water.

I just released a product for Texas Residents Only at the present time. It is 100% All Natural which is what you are looking for in order to apply over water. It is a concentrate which following the directions you will end up having enough to make 12.8
 gallons of mixture. You should only mix enough to treat entire boat dock using a pump sprayer, mist blower or some sort of spray rig. When I get all the fees paid to 40+ states that require payment and for product to be registered I will sale to those states. You can purchase the product at https://www.boatdockspray.com but remember it is for Texas Residents Only. This product works and even works for mosquitoes in the yard.

Edited by spider
no hyperlink

I have the same problem too. I cover my boat under the covered slip with my bow and cockpit covers to minimize the damage. I keep a water hose at the dock to spray off the droppings on the swim platform and other uncovered areas. I would not pay $800 deer to remove them as I suspect that it would not kill them all.

1 hour ago, spider said:

I just released a product for Texas Residents Only at the present time. It is 100% All Natural which is what you are looking for in order to apply over water. It is a concentrate which following the directions you will end up having enough to make 12.8
 gallons of mixture. You should only mix enough to treat entire boat dock using a pump sprayer, mist blower or some sort of spray rig. When I get all the fees paid to 40+ states that require payment and for product to be registered I will sale to those states. You can purchase the product at https://www.boatdockspray.com but remember it is for Texas Residents Only. This product works and even works for mosquitoes in the yard.

How frequently does it need to be applied?

We are using a Backpack Mist Blower and treating once per month. Some docks might could go two months between treatments.

Edited by spider
typo

Go search a product called Web Out - A Gallon will cost you 50 to 60 bucks and it is a ready to use product. It contains same ingredients as our product  except ours is much higher in percentages and works much better and yields over 12 gallons of finished product. The reviews for Web Out are pretty good IMHO and the bad reviews could be from applicator error, ( Trying to just treat a small area and not covering entire dock to rid all the Spiders ).