MisterScott

Speed run with new Volvo 6.0

Me, coffee and boat with 3/4 tank of fuel on the lake at 8 am. Yesterday. Topped out at 51 mph. Slight chop. The lake was not smooth. 8 hours on the motor. Not bad. Would have preferred to be in mid 50s. Motor was taching out so looks to be well propped.

Me, coffee and boat with 3/4 tank of fuel on the lake at 8 am. Yesterday. Topped out at 51 mph. Slight chop. The lake was not smooth. 8 hours on the motor. Not bad. Would have preferred to be in mid 50s. Motor was taching out so looks to be well propped.

Not bad for a juiced-up small block. Let us know what your fuel burn looks like when you get a few more hours on her. Merc is rumored to be working on a variable valve timing big block. This will be an interesting time, as Chevy is getting close to 500 cubic inches out of their small blocks now. What was you WOT RPM?

W

Was this an LSx based motor? What prop were you using. Sounds like that boat is going to be a fun time!

MisterScott, with my new 264 Sunesta, same engine with 12 hours, 70 gallons of fuel, 2 adults and 3 kids - I had a WOT of 5750 and 47 GPS and 49 on the speedometer at 4500' elevation. Did another test at 15 hours, 80 gallons of fuel and 5 adults and 3 kids with the same results! This boat hauls a$$ and sounds amazing.

One question for you though - what is the top end of you analog tachometer? Mine is 6000 with red lining beginning at 5200 RPM. With this engine, the WOT RPM is 5600 to 6000 and redline is above 6000. I think that they installed the wrong tach on my boat since according to the analog tach, I'm always red-lining at anything about 5200.

post-19515-0-63520400-1372706735_thumb.j post-19515-0-18919900-1372706834_thumb.j

do they have different tachsTACHS for the LSx engienes, they should. Are there marine TACHS that go that high?

Yesterday 1st run...Full Fuel, full water, gear. Lake hardly a break on the water, GPS 50, speedo 54.. 6.2 merc

My reading was based on the reading from my GPS and the SmartTow GPS. Both are spot on the same. My analog tach was showing 6k RPMs. I need to toggle over on the next run on the Volvo info center and see what the true reading is. I am away from the boat and I forgot what pitch the props are. 24 or 26 I believe. handyman I was thinking how much speed my arch costs me especially after reading your post. I guess 5 mph on top is the cost of shade in texas.

I was at an in water boat show a couple week ends ago, looking at the new Chaps. I asked the salesman about the new Volvo 6.0 380 and he had good things to say about it. The only negative he had was that he thought it was a louder motor because of the higher RPMs it runs at. Have you all noticed an increase in decibels at cruising speeds over the other small or large blocks?

Yesterday 1st run...Full Fuel, full water, gear. Lake hardly a break on the water, GPS 50, speedo 54.. 6.2 merc

Ths is a 383 strokes correct? That is a sweet motor also, my friends boat, one of my favorites, is a 265 SSi with a 383 MPI. That thing runs awsome. I believe the LSX motors are the way of the future. They can run at higher duty cycles more reliably, and they have a closed loop fueling system that will keep things in check, which will lead to a smoother ride with less soot and pollution. It also will adjust timing based on detonation to help with all the different grades of gas and save on any wear and tear on the engine. To boot it is lighter than anything that has come before it with 8 cylinders. I envy you guys, I would give bodily parts to have one in my 215.

MisterScott, what lake are you on. I'll be camping on Lake Somerville starting Wednesday till Sunday. I'll be taking advantage of the early morning glass to get good numbers too.

I wish I took pictures, GM was at the Miami boat show with all their new marine engines hoping MC/VP/Crusader/Indmar would pick them up. All variable valve timed automotive engines repurposed for marine use. Anywhere from a 2.3l VVT 4 cly making 150hp to the new truck engines based off the LS motor.

Ths is a 383 strokes correct? That is a sweet motor also, my friends boat, one of my favorites, is a 265 SSi with a 383 MPI. That thing runs awsome. I believe the LSX motors are the way of the future. They can run at higher duty cycles more reliably, and they have a closed loop fueling system that will keep things in check, which will lead to a smoother ride with less soot and pollution. It also will adjust timing based on detonation to help with all the different grades of gas and save on any wear and tear on the engine. To boot it is lighter than anything that has come before it with 8 cylinders. I envy you guys, I would give bodily parts to have one in my 215.

+1, No problem- BOATT= bring out another TEN thousand :drool5:

My winter project is to upgrade my 215 to 300-350hp Vortec 5.7 longblock. Very cheap and easy with a lift. The boat needs it so bad 220 isn't enough.

I always think about messing with the 5.0 MPI but the boat is so darn reliable and smooth. It does 50mph with the family aboard that's about 20 more than the wife likes me to do. I have tuned it with the diacom software, it helped a little. I can only imagine how smooth the LSx is under way at 30mph. Like riding in Lexus boat.

I wish I took pictures, GM was at the Miami boat show with all their new marine engines hoping MC/VP/Crusader/Indmar would pick them up. All variable valve timed automotive engines repurposed for marine use. Anywhere from a 2.3l VVT 4 cly making 150hp to the new truck engines based off the LS motor.

Really, I haven't read anything about this. Now I'm really intrigued!

You gotta remember its MC/VP telling us what we can use. Look at indmar they're using more modern engines but the new VP 6.0 is VVT!!

I was at an in water boat show a couple week ends ago, looking at the new Chaps. I asked the salesman about the new Volvo 6.0 380 and he had good things to say about it. The only negative he had was that he thought it was a louder motor because of the higher RPMs it runs at. Have you all noticed an increase in decibels at cruising speeds over the other small or large blocks?

Coming from a VP 5.7Gxi in my 2004 Four Winns 230, I haven't noticed any increase in loudness. I would guess that the 6.0 is quieter than the 5.7. You certainly notice the higher RPMs though!

The 6.0 is much quieter than my Merc 425HP on my 276 SSX. Even the wife noticed it. She doen't have to yell as loud to tell me to slow down.