hwoodyard

Bravo III impeller change. Help !

i just bought a Sunesta 274 2005 with 152 hours . Does anyone have a link to a video to change the impeller on a 350 mag MPI bravo III or a owners manual ? Besides oil and lower unit and impeller change , any other STUFF that i should look at ? Thankyou !!

You will also want to change the Cool Fuel Filter, which is located just above the raw water pump.

brick

Quite a job. If there is a tie strap holding a hose, ensure it goes back on, or replaced. Don't want the hose to be able to rub on the pulley.

47-862232a2

Thanks to all. I think I will take it to the dealer. Too big a job .

Have them pull the drive, grease the coupler spline, inspect the U-joints, and check the engine alignment before re-installation also.

W

Unless you have help with it by someone who has done it before. This is a big job for a first timer, good idea to take it to a dealer.

Thanks to all. I think I will take it to the dealer. Too big a job .

The good news is that if you winterize properly you can get a solid 3 years/300 hours out of a Merc pump with a fresh impeller. Just make sure your shop uses all OEM replacement parts.

W

Plus 1 on all advice so far. If you do decide to do it yourself.........

Did my seawater pump this year because the shaft seal and retainer clip popped out and the shaft was beginning to walk out on our first trip...guess this is a common problem, so keep an eye on it. I would assume you woul;d pull your pump. Job was not easy, but definitely doable. I have the Gen2 coolfuel module that made the job harder as I had to take that out, as well as doing it in the water - pulling the water intake hose was alittle hairy til I could secure it above the water line. I downloaded the parts of the engine service manual that pertained. I also took Shepard's advice and pulled the whole pump. I replaced it with Hardin SS pump. Pump impeller was already installed. One thing I got from stuff on line was one guy used a tywrap to hold the impeller in position as he pushed it into the pump. Try to do it out of the water!

Goodluck

Rich

+1, kind of a PITA the first time around. If you do it in the water, you will need a plug to stop the water from coming in the large suction hose (mine is strapped down, so I can't lift it above waterline. My advice, do it when the boat is out of the water the first time. If you do decide to tackle it, make sure and snap photos as you go so that you can get it back together again and don't forget the hose clamps. Like Shepherd and RIch said, pull the entire pump and do the work outside the engine compartment. All in all about a 3 on a difficulty scale of 5. Key is to try and do it in one sitting so things are fresh in your memory. One very important last thing, make sure you note or photograph how the old impeller is sitting in the housing so that when you put the new one back in the blades are in the same/right direction and then don't run it dry ever.

Thanks again to everyone. I have made good notes and will make sure to ask the dealer about replacing the pump and the other items , etc.

I should have no issue changing the oil , just the impeller.

Is there any Prop mantainence or steering mantainence that I should do with the 152 fresh water hours. ( it has always been on a lift )

For the oil filter, if you want on OEM MerCruiser filter, than I would only go with:

35-858004K or Q or

35-881126K01 for the larger Mercury Racing version.

The standard Merc/Quicksilver oil filter is a POS.