Love to Boat

Boat Alarm won't stop -- Any Ideas?

I have a 2011 216 SSi with a 5.0 Merc Cruiser. I have the one prop which I believe is the Alpha 1.

Last week the boat alarm started a one second beep every minute or so. It is the same alarm that sounds when you first turn your key over.

It beeps in shallow and deep water.

The oil pressure runs between 40 and 80+ (when the rpm's are up)

The temp and voltage meter are good.

The hourglass on the speedometer flashes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2011 216 SSi with a 5.0 Merc Cruiser. I have the one prop which I believe is the Alpha 1.

Last week the boat alarm started a one second beep every minute or so. It is the same alarm that sounds when you first turn your key over.

It beeps in shallow and deep water.

The oil pressure runs between 40 and 80+ (when the rpm's are up)

The temp and voltage meter are good.

The hourglass on the speedometer flashes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is the depth alarm activated?

Does it happen at idle only/throttled up only/no relation to throttle position... I have had this kind of situation intermittently in the past when strange wake conditions interfered with the depth sensor. This was mainly at very low speed / high wake conditions for example, 1600 RPM, 10-12 mph and a hella lotta wake and backwash at the transom.

Is your battery holding a charge? My Co2 alarms started doing that when my house battery wasn't charging off the alternator or the gen. Could be an old battery.

No CO alarm on a 216 so forget that. I can send you a description of the 37 conditions that can set an alarm on a newer Merc, if you send me a PM with your e-mail. I've attached below some common items Shepherd had listed that cover 90% of the common items.

1. IAC - idle air control valve. Your model should be the same as an '02 Ford Windstar. Will need gasket # 27-863112 for this job. Items # 15 & 16 in the link below.
http://www.marinepar.../884717/8093-85

2. Water pressure sensor - found on the power steering cooler. Job is to monitor the water pressure generated by the impeller. When the sensor fails, the ECM wonders if the impeller hasn't completely failed, but notices the engine isn't getting hot. Located by the distributor - will probably have a white body. Item # 17 in the link below.
http://www.marinepar...884717/8093-280

3. Faulty gear oil reservoir, or low gear oil level. If the reservoir is full, a test can be done where a new reservoir is attached to the wires, and the new empty reservoir turned upside down. If the beeping stops, the original reservoir is faulty. Items # 3 or 11 in the link below.
http://www.marinepar.../884717/8093-30

4. Loose wires - usually on the starter motor. EFI communicates by voltage, and if there are loose wires, the ECM can't talk properly to it's sensors for information. Also check the wires on the alternator.

5. Wrong grade/weight of engine oil. i.e. 10w30 instead of 25w40, etc. If 10w30 oil is used, once the engine is warmed up and under heavy load, one should be able to see the oil pressure fluctuating wildly above 3500 RPM which is causing the ECM to trigger the alarm.