zeuscamp

blown motor 2006 256SSI

I have a 2006 256 ssi. we were on Tablerock Lake this week and the motor started clunking and lost oil pressure. Went to the Chaparral dealer there and they informed me that we needed to replace the long block. They think we lost a bearing in the crankshaft. costs would be around . This of coarse happened on day two of our seven day trip. I decided not to have them repair and brought back to Iowa. I am looking for someone in Iowa, or within 2-3 hundred miles to repair. Anyone with advice on this would muchly be appreciated. I just can't figure out how this happened. only 160 hrs. on her. A friend thinks that the previous onwer might have ran her dry at one point and she just finally gave way. Had 40 hrs. when I got her. I am one to service regularly and always check fluids every morning before use. Summer is runnung short and need her fixed pronto. Thanks.

it is the merc 6.2, this all started a few weeks ago when I thought I got into some weeds. you know the feeling it gets and you hit reverse to clean out. Thought maybe props were out of balance, so had that done, seemed alittle better the following weekend then this happened this week. as to the oil, I can'ttremember what the chap dealer sold me, but assuming it was what suppose to use. The dealer at Tablerock puleed the drive, the exhaust and drove on the lake several times. Would not have much oil pressure. Three of their mechanics all agreed with diagnosis. Thanks

Thats sucks, IMO your summer is over sad to say.

Hope you find a guy that can change it out fast.

Just to be safe, when you get a new or reman engine, put in a new distributor cap & rotor. MerCruiser part # 8M0061335.

My neighbor is a boat mechanic at Table Rock Lake (Lakeside Marine) and had the same problem on a 2006 Cobalt with 6.2 Mercruiser engine. He indicated that an ECM problem caused timing issues which resulted in camshaft bearing failure. They are replacing the ECM and rebuilding the engine at a shop in Aurora, MO. Let me know if you need more details.

ScottC

Yep. Had to replace long block. Not sure what caused the damage yet.I decided to pay extra to tear old completely down to see exactly what happened. (If possible) But, good news, back on the water this weekend! After I pay the :(

Did you ever get an answer as to why it failed? I just had that happen to me yesterday, 150 hrs on a 2009 and warrenty expired in May. Was on lake michigan, running fine, stopped for lunch and when I stsrted back up is when the problems started. I'm looking for a mechanic in the Chicago area, with what looks to be the best weather of the summer coming up, I just want to get it repaired. If it's a motor, I just don't have the time to do it. Thanks

They tore the motor down completely. Found some sand in the motor and in the thermastat. Not for sure, but the therm not operating properly could have done damage. It never ran hot, but actually ran to cool. I don't get that , but that is the story. Can't beleave your warranty just ended in May ! Bummer. Tom Unley marine in Rock Island did the work. 4 day turn around. And highly recomended !! Good Luck.

I did some more investigating on Sunday. Had read there was problems with head gaskets between cylinders 4 & 6, and 3 & 5. Did a compression test and all seemed fine. I did notice 3 & 5 spark plugs looked as if they were not firing. This could cause the cylinders to get 'washed" (fuel mixed into the crank case) which would attribute to the oil pressure dropping as the oil thinned out. Instead of wasting a bunch of time and money trying to trouble shoot, I'm taking it into Basa's in Bolingbrook. I've heard good things about them and they have always been helpful. Won't have it for this weekend (some of the best weather this season), but hopefully for labor day. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it turns out (here's link to my posting 2009 6.2L/377 sudden loss of power)

I have friend with a 2003 350 mag MPI. He runs the river and gets sand and rocks in his t-stat from beaching. The result is that his engine will run too cool. The computer senses this and dumps more fuel into the cylinders causing it to run too rich. If it goes on for too long the fuel gets into the oil and thins it out. He watches his temp gauge like a hawk and can now change out a t-stat on the fly like a Nascar pit crew. He always has a spare or two on him. First time it happened you could really smell the gasoline in his oil when he changed it out.

Here’s what happened to mine, Distributor gear wore away and threw the timing way out of whack causing all of the problems. Merc was “gracious” enough to eat the cost of the gear (probably about $20) but not the rest of the parts to do the diagnosis. The big question is how much bearing damage was done by the brass getting into the oiling system?