1998 213SS Constant Alarm at Wide Open Throttle

Hey Fellas, got a quick question, I could use some help with this alarm problem.

I have a 1998 213SS with a 97 5.7l Mercruiser and have just noticed the alarm this year, last year it had no issues. I can cruise at 3000 rpms no problems all day, when I hit max rpms, usually 4600, After about a minute I will get a constant alarm, backing down to neutral for a minute and the alarm goes off by itself.

All the things I've checked seem ok, all my fluids look good and all the levels are where they should be, water temp gauge sits at around 120-130, oil pressure guage is at 40-60, and the boat doesn't loose any power, accelerates fine, starts and idles fine, battery voltage is around 14... I can't figure it out.

any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Might be a high temp alarm on an exhaust manifold sensor. Even though the water temp in the block is happy, maybe you have a restricted flow in one of your risers, which would not show up on the helm gauge.

W

For the audio alarm, seeing you have a carb'd 5.7L MerCruiser, the options are:

engine overheat

low gear oil reservoir

low engine oil pressure

engine overspeed - RPM too high

Having said all that, here are some likely culprits we see:

engine temperature sensor - either seeing too much engine temp, or the sensor is faulty

10w30 engine oil vs. 25w40. 10w30 oil is too light, and can set off the audio alarm

gear oil reservoir float sensor is NFG, or more gear oil needs to be added to the gear oil reservoir

engine bouncing off the rev limiter - if you back of the throttle only a little, does the audio alarm stop?

There is only 1 engine temperature sensor on your engine, and it is located in the thermostat housing, along with the temperature sender. The temperature sender tells the analog temp gauge what the engine temperature is, but the temp sender has only 1 wire. Temp sender and temp sensor are on different circuits.

ok ill check all that out, I checked the gear oil res and it was low earlier in the season but only by a few ounces so i topped it off, I put mercruiser 25w40 synthetic in it and checked the levels and oil is pretty clean still...

Ill try backing off the throttle a bit next time I go out and Ill check the temp sender and sensor wiring...

Thx

If you get the alarm again, back down on the throttle and trim the prop down and bring it back to WOT. See if the alarm goes off again. You maybe trimmed too high causing prop slip and going into overspeed alarm as well.

When the alarm goes off, does the engine go to "gauardian" mode. Meaning reduce RPM's?

Also if you can, while running, raise your engine hatch a bit to see the drive oil reservoir. Have someone drive and increase the speed. See if you are getting air bubble in the reservoir. If you are, then you may have a leak in the hose going to the drive causing the drive reservoir alarm to go off.

• 2 years later...